Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

That 9 weather was no different than today or even yesterday she repeated the same all over again pretty much. It’s nearly like a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

And there's the WINK 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Looking fairly dry tomorrow so according to ME. Still no mention of Friday's potential event so uncertainty remains obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Joanna. That was a ****e weather report!

Looks like we’re gonna get it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Poor Joanna seemed exhausted in that forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Conditions in the UK could well be worse than Ireland, as they have a longer fetch for showers in the North Sea. The very south of the UK could avoid the worst of the snow on friday but that's yet to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

snowbabe wrote: »
    And there's the WINK 😂😂

:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

That 9 weather was no different than today or even yesterday she repeated the same all over again pretty much. It’s nearly like a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the 12 th man

That report was perplexing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That was a pretty meh forecast...no ramping from Joanna :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Weather warning for extreme cold and significant snow immediately followed by a gardening feature beginning with words "spring has sprung"

Well done RTÉ. Earning your licence fee as usual

Thought Joanna sounded a bit less serious about the next couple of days. Lots of focus on Thursday as opposed to Tuesday and Wednesday which maybe means MÉ are getting worried about the low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

tom1ie wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be heading to London for the spurs vs Huddersfield match also! I'm flying on Fri afternoon so I'm hoping this won't be too bad..........

Depends if you're a Huddersfield fan I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In 2010 we hadn't a pot to piss in with threads like this. Now this thread is full of feckers worried about walking to work, going to work! Followed by more worried about flying off to football games! Lots of shopping for shovels, socks and food too!

Ah lads! The boom is back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

davidsr20 wrote: »

The last 2-3 yellow warnings were nearly word for word repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The percentage intervals in my snowfall predictions are confidence levels, they should be interpreted as 50% being the most likely to verify (outcome equally likely to be below or above this value), 100% is interpreted as maximum possible given the guidance. Obviously in theory you could have more than that if the most extreme guidance coincided with the most prolific outcome possible for that guidance, so this is averaged over all available guidance (weighted for reliability).

Entirely subjective of course, others may have different estimates. As to what I would personally forecast, my hunch is take the 75% column, but for maximum snow depth, that will be a bit less because this is a table of total snowfalls (adding each day) and maximum snow depth relies on previous days' snow being fully present to time of measurement, which rarely occurs unless it is very cold and not windy.

Said I would not be posting here (to assist access mainly) and will go back to that unless I think there is any issue like this that requires clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In 2010 we hadn't a pot to piss in with threads like this. Now this thread is full of feckers worried about walking to work, going to work! Followed by more worried about flying off to football games! Lots of shopping for shovels, socks and food too!

I’m going to use my 4K tv as a sleigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

and thus starts the pub run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Chilly Willy

Good post and advice cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Any idea of what the forecast could mean for train services, getting the train from cork to Dublin on Friday morning.

I think that RTE weather report needs clarification !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I knew the thread felt a bit slow / too post my message. Welcome all!

LHGf78S.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Sorry I already asked but any chance of another red warning meaning employers will cancel work travel? What day is meant to be the worst in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Grandeeod wrote: »

I plan on laying decking over the snow. Patio heater on that, and it'll all be grand once I get back from my apartment in Bulgaria. I'll be mostly travelling by jetski.

Anybody know if it'll snow in Bulgaria on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Joanna emphasised how far these showers could stretch and how widespread they could be, something which she hadn't done in previous threads.

It's like people are searching for a downgrade that isn't there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I think that RTE weather report needs clarification !!!

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Joanna emphasised how far these showers could stretch and how widespread they could be, something which she hadn't done in previous threads.

It's like people are searching for a downgrade that isn't there!

They always do this. I mean when Ophelia hit we had people going "ah shur twasn't that bad" "ah shur twas a bit of wind and noting else like"

More like what she didn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

roddy15 wrote: »
    They always do this. I mean when Ophelia hit we had people going "ah shur twasn't that bad" "ah shur twas a bit of wind and noting else like"
    It was where we are. I'm hoping for the snow version of "ah shur twasn't that bad" "ah shur twas a bit of wind and noting else like"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oh Christ,can you imagine the moaning that will go on for days after the event if they issue a red warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I knew the thread felt a bit slow / too post my message. Welcome all!

LHGf78S.png

Remember everyone the forecast in the OP is updated - it might answer some questions in advance. It will be updated each afternoon.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement