Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Weather at 9.30 was boring, nothing to see here. Dunno what that is about.
    Maybe she's backtracking

Why would the weather forecast on TV be lying about the weather? If it happens any other way than they broadcast they end up getting slated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lot of overthinking here lads, the first thing Joanna did was to re-iterate the weather advisory. The 9.30 forecast isnt long range, the outlook for Tuesday to Saturday is unchanged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There wont be any major warnings until after the emergency committee meeting in the morning , thats why IMO Met E haven't being going beyond Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

So are we talking airport shut down kind of weather this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pub run has the low going more westerly. Uh oh...

And expect more of this back and forth.

Still dropping a truly significant and crippling amount of snowfall nationwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

So is cork getting snow

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

After that weather forecast I won't be dusting off my snow boots lol.... a lot of fuss and very little action, we won't be getting any snow in cork city....maybe a bit of sleet but nothing major

So is cork getting snow

Yes.

Perhaps you could take a quick gander at the posts compiled by members with alot of effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

An odd approach for someone with an interest in the weather to take. I hope it's the mother of all blizzards and snows heavy for three days I couldnt care less if we need Noah's ark on Saturday, When is the next time you're going to have the chance to see something like this again in Ireland.

(Hint: A long time)

Indeed.
    Syran how could you say that:( of course people who don't like snow will think the following is bonkers: but this is the stuff of dreams for a snow lover. The system later in the week could be a once in a life time event- it could well be on par with the epic blizzards of 1917 and 1933. I stress if it comes off, because if it seems too good to be true it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Shadylou wrote: »
    After that weather forecast I won't be dusting off my snow boots lol.... a lot of fuss and very little action, we won't be getting any snow in cork city....maybe a bit of sleet but nothing major

Same user on Ophelia:
    "Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages"

Same people, back again I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pub run has the low going more westerly. Uh oh...

So more rain therefore?

gozunda wrote: »
    So more rain therefore?

Significant and crippling snowfall, preceded by a bit of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TECH85

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And expect more of this back and forth.

Still dropping a truly significant and crippling amount of snowfall nationwide.

It could be almost unbelievable amounts and defo a once in a lifetime experience if everything falls into place !!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I've never wished for a weekend to go faster, but honestly I can't wait for this week. I'm buzzing with excitement.
    On a serious note, I wish more people would believe me when I tell them about this week's weather, everyone I tell thinks I'm mad, I'm worried a lot of people are horrendously under prepared for it, I only hope that ME put out a severe warning and that people take note and not brush it off as a non event.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Did anyone see the latest forecast with Tomasz. Epic is the word!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43190440

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

That's 4 times now you've said that. Have a read through the first post and others posts. Widespread snow is forecast Wednesday and Thursday and that includes Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

There should be some sort of vetting procedure for posting on this thread. Just so teeth grindingly frustrating at times.

Cheers to the regular, informative posters. Playing a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

SCHOOLS OUT? Met Eireann warn parents to prepare for ‘possible Irish school closures’ as ‘Beast from the East’ weather event could see temperatures plunge to -10C
    MET Eireann have warned parents to “prepare for possible school closures” as the ‘Beast from the East’ could see Irish temperatures plunge to -10C this week.

Forecaster Joanna Donnelly said there’s a “real possibility” of schools shutting by midweek or later on in the week.

She said: “The possibility of school closures during the mid or later end of the week is a real possibility with this extreme weather event coming our way.”

Minister Eoghan Murphy is to convene the National Emergency Co-ordination Group for Severe Weather tomorrow morning – with the Department for Education to be represented.

The Department continues to monitor the situation nationwide.

And the Government’s winter ready site said the decision to close rests with the school management authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

The Guys on the technical thread don't seem too convinced about the snow now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I'm always baffled by comments like this. How are you so sure there will be no snow? Meteorologists spend years studying this stuff and work very hard to make their forecasts as accurate as possible based on the best information available to them. Do you really think you're more qualified to make such a bold statement like that than the meteorologists are?

It is possible that there will be no snow, and if that's the case the forecasters will let us know. But as of right now it's very likely Cork will be seeing snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just incase you don't read the technical thread, the pub run 18z has made the low go to the south coast, move to the south west and so far up the west coast rather then the 12z which hat it hit the cork coast and go all the way up the UK. This 18z means warmer air moving in it seems which means some rain after the snow fall which isn't really what we want. Hopefully it is just an outlier though. This is for friday/saturday next week still freezing cold. Also more experienced people feel free to correct my message, im still learning from you guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

On friday and saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Must be just after reading a different thread than you so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Did anyone see the latest forecast with Tomasz. Epic is the word!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43190440

oh they went there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's for next weekend. This is basically nailed on now for during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Could we be looking at power outages and the rest? My mother still talks about the army bringing water due to the snow in '82 freezing pipes and the likes.... Should we be stocking up on fire wood...no electricity means no central heating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Thats pretty much untrue , there discussing the latest run from one of the 3 main players

The other two are well against it and its against its own earlier runs , please make sure of your facts

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

Thats pretty much untrue , there discussing the latest run from one of the 3 main players

The other two are well against it and its against its own earlier runs , please make sure of your facts
    The 18z has seemed to be wildly different from the other ones consistently as of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

adam240610 wrote: »
    The 18z has seemed to be wildly different from the other ones consistently as of late.

thats why its called the pub run, it doesn't have as much info as the 12z run does (neither does the 6z which I learnt about from an earlier post!) It can be right sometimes but the 12z is usually the GFS most accurate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement