Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

BBC just said 2-10cm on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Shadylou wrote: »
    After that weather forecast I won't be dusting off my snow boots lol.... a lot of fuss and very little action, we won't be getting any snow in cork city....maybe a bit of sleet but nothing major

Have you informed the chief met forecasters in Ireland and England, because they don't seem as sure as you are regarding later this week. No doubt if you are somehow wrong you'll be the first person to admit it on here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Did anyone see the latest forecast with Tomasz. Epic is the word!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43190440
    Not liking the ESE wind direction on Wednesday when things were really supposed to get going for the East coast when the -12/14 850's arrived over us. Puts anyone South of Dublin into the Wales Snow Shadow. The Meath/Louth lads and maybe the Cork and Waterford lads might get some lake effect out of it though. Wheres my Holy Grail ENE gone!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

After that weather forecast I won't be dusting off my snow boots lol.... a lot of fuss and very little action, we won't be getting any snow in cork city....maybe a bit of sleet but nothing major

**meanwhile cork city prepares for a possible blizzard in the second half of the week that could break a snowfall record as has been said through the thread** but oh what? :P :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

okedoke wrote: »
    Any idea of what the forecast could mean for train services, getting the train from cork to Dublin on Friday morning.

Trains can hardly be affected by snow, no, unless platforms are all iced up and stuff like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Have you informed the chief met forecasters in Ireland and England, because they don't seem as sure as you are regarding later this week. No doubt if you are somehow wrong you'll be the first person to admit it on here
    Hopefully those predicting Snowmageddon will be equally contrite if its pi$$ing rain as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Did anyone see the latest forecast with Tomasz. Epic is the word!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43190440

Seemed very uncertain about Thursday on though they think a lot of snow in the south of uk. Hopefully they are not following latest GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Chrongen wrote: »
    okedoke wrote: »
    Any idea of what the forecast could mean for train services, getting the train from cork to Dublin on Friday morning.

Trains can hardly be affected by snow, no, unless platforms are all iced up and stuff like that?

Yes they can unfortunately. Among other things, Frozen points and snow drifts are candidates for causing problem. The former has occurred here during numerous past cold spells. Plus starting diesel engines in extreme cold can be an ordeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Meanwhile during the week to come :D

DW6cL3pW0AAc7_7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

aidanodr wrote: »
    Meanwhile during the week to come :D

DW6cL3pW0AAc7_7.jpg

''Grand day for the drying!''

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You've just jinxed it now for everyone......well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Accuweather showing an incredible 18 inches of snow for my area in East kerry for thurs night!!! Prob not going to happen but it would be pretty amazing if we got nothing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Accuweather is just about the biggest heap of shi'te in forecasting sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

I can't tell the difference between this thread the model technical thread any more lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I can't tell the difference between this thread the model technical thread any more lol

It has been dealt with :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I remember in 1991, British Rail blamed delays on "the wrong type of snow"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_wrong_type_of_snow

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

You've just jinxed it now for everyone......well done!

I doubt it.....cork city was always looking sketchy for snow. I'm just hoping people don't overreact and keep the kids out of school and I'll have to stay off work and lose money for a bit of ice and sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was telling a family member about M.T.C's recent post about percentage chances for amounts of snow.

I said, "So M. T. Cranium was saying that....

They said, "Empty Cranium???....."

I scoffed at them and said, "FFS. No. Its M...T....Cra...n...i.......OOHH!!!"

I've been reading the guys daily weather forecasts every day for the last decade...and I only just 'got it'

:o:o:o:o

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

My brother has a course in Maynooth from Tuesday to Thursday this week. I told him he should prob take the train but he said he's going to drive from Cork tomorrow night and back down Thursday. What do ye think the chances of him being able to drive down Thursday would be? Train the better option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

Snaggerman wrote:
    Anfield, more worried about the ferry tbh, reckon it'd have to be epic snow for game to be cancelled.....

We are heading to the same game but we are flying out friday at 12....Santa brought it to the child..... he has just said Santa won't allow the snow to come he wouldn't do that to a child.... how do I tell the poor thing mother nature isn't as nice as Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

mumo3 wrote: »
    Could we be looking at power outages and the rest? My mother still talks about the army bringing water due to the snow in '82 freezing pipes and the likes.... Should we be stocking up on fire wood...no electricity means no central heating

Stock up on it anyway. It will be used eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Half watching the paper review on Sky News there in the background and I think they mentioned that trains in some parts of the UK have been pulled from 10pm tomorrow night.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Calibos wrote: »
    Was telling a family member about M.T.C's recent post about percentage chances for amounts of snow.

I scoffed at them and said, "FFS. No. Its M...T....Cra...n...i..uh.....OOHH!!!"

I've been reading the guys daily weather forecasts every day for the last decade...and I only just 'got it'

Oh yeah - feck sake, same here! Talk about a penny dropping after 10 whole years...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well on that note, just remember to not come back here and say we didn't warn ya.

I'd love to see a bit of snow and the kids would be delighted, but we just don't get snow that sticks in cork city. Plenty of frost and loads of ice and s fair bit of sleet but no proper snow

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Calibos wrote: »

I scoffed at them and said, "FFS. No. Its M...T....Cra...n...i..uh.....OOHH!!!"

Pretty sure there was an post about this epiphany by another poster during the Ophelia event.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

From a nowcast perspective we can see on current Radar shower activity building in the North sea heading for East UK. Starting to affect much further down the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

so the friday saturday low could either give us a full blown blizzard (have we ever had one?) or start to melt any lying snow? this is the unknown thing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I'd love to see a bit of snow and the kids would be delighted, but we just don't get snow that sticks in cork city. Plenty of frost and loads of ice and s fair bit of sleet but no proper snow

Ok you have made you point you don't think it will snow in your area , lets move on now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Paully D wrote: »
    Half watching the paper review on Sky News there in the background and I think they mentioned that trains in some parts of the UK have been pulled from 10pm tomorrow night.

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/967884445754839042/photo/1

DW6dwuDW4AE3VUw.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement