Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You are referring to this, aren't you?

archives-2008-1-3-12-0.png

Was in Drogheda for that, snow started falling around 6pm that day I think and kept falling till about 3 in the morning, a bit of thunder thrown in as well if I recall. Well over half a foot on the ground, although was in Dublin Airport early the next morning and there wasn't even a dusting, so obviously quite marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Next run due out now guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

''Grand day for the drying!''

Ah come on that no laughing matter,the poor clothes line...:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Gonzo wrote: »
    Yep, that's the one! an incredible night of snow even if it was very short lived. I think Dublin missed out on it due to the Wales shadow.

I remember it well in Dublin, lashed rain :(

http://www.peterduncanson.net/snow/snow00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

davidsr20 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Sryanbruen, do you have any weather reports/archives for the Jan 1987 snowfall as in my recollection the snowfall in Munster was heavier than anything that we got in 1982? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but that's the way it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

davidsr20 wrote: »

GFS and most other models run every 6hrs 00Z, 06Z, 12Z, 18Z, can be viewed 3.5 to 4.5hrs later

ECM and UKMO run twice a day, 00Z and 12Z and can be viewed about 6hrs later

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature rising here in West Clare, 2.5c currently (got to 2.1c earlier).

Only 1 Met Eireann station subzero at 11pm.

JCX BXC wrote: »

Yeah went from 0c at Dublin Airport a couple of hours ago to 3c at 00Z

What's very strange is that it was 0c at around the same time uppers were +1c according to GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Sryanbruen, do you have any weather reports/archives for the Jan 1987 snowfall as in my recollection the snowfall in Munster was heavier than anything that we got in 1982? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but that's the way it seems to me.

Met Éireann's records for the event seem to suggest amounts in Cork were much smaller compared with Dublin and the east coast.

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Jan1982_snow.pdf

Compare that with 1987:

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Jan1987_snow.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

JCX BXC wrote: »

Currently 13 locations below freezing on nra website, doesn't include NI

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Also a handy site for checking current weather in every location listed, has traffic cam screen shot of usually 10 minutes previously. I use to to stalk a high ground road beside me when the colder weather is first coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Another epic forecast from Tomas.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43192715

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Currently 13 locations below freezing on nra website, doesn't include NI

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Currently -0.5c here and dropping

130m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary Border

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another epic forecast from Tomas.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43192715

4 hours too late, already posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I've been reading the threads on the weather forum throughout the day as well as being out and about quite a bit this weekend on the Northside of Dublin.

It's been so nice this weekend that its hard to imagine what's coming our way.

Even just now I stepped outside (in a t-shirt) and it's not overly chilly. Tiny bit of frost forming on cars but still a lovely night. In one way I'd love a big event so I could play with my kids in the snow but on the flipside there's so much hassle with such a weather event.

I live in North Dublin but work in Kildare so am worried about driving conditions. More worried about going to work one morning and the weather's fine, but then something major happening that would make getting home a nightmare!

2 young kids and a pregnant wife at home so dont want to get stuck away from them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after checking BBC's precipitation charts for this week, so far it is showing:

- Snow showers hitting Leinster from around 3pm on Monday. Mostly light.
    - heavy snow showers from Tuesday morning banding into organised snow.
    - prolonged snow showers over much of Leinster and Munster on Wednesday with a few showers making it across to the west.
    - Heavy snow showers on Thursday giving way to frontal snow early on Thursday afternoon.
    - frontal snow all Thursday night into Friday afternoon and clearing by Friday evening.
    - Wintry/snow showers over the weekend.

Overall the BBC is modelling more snow over Ireland over the next 5 days than most of the UK mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

fritzelly wrote: »

I didn't see it untill now though init.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gluppers

just after checking BBC's precipitation charts for this week, so far it is showing:

- Snow showers hitting Leinster from around 3pm on Monday. Mostly light.
    - heavy snow showers from Tuesday morning banding into organised snow.
    - prolonged snow showers over much of Leinster and Munster on Wednesday with a few showers making it across to the west.
    - Heavy snow showers on Thursday giving way to frontal snow early on Thursday afternoon.
    - frontal snow all Thursday night into Friday afternoon and clearing by Friday evening.
    - Wintry/snow showers over the weekend.

Overall the BBC is modelling more snow over Ireland over the next 5 days than most of the UK mainland.

That will do pig

(Sorry not calling you a pig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

I know automated forecasts are frowned upon but I like met office one best. Here's Dublin check out those wind speeds with the heavy snow and I've noticed it usually under plays wind speeds. If that came off...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That would make a nice change. How ever parts of England will possibly get a foot of snow this week - especially if that blizzard were to happen on Thursday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Chrongen wrote: »
    How about you stay in a nice BnB there thursday night?

Sensible option for sure, I know what I would do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

fritzelly wrote: »

No! Its a different report to the one four hours ago! Few additional graphics discussed, so thanks for sharing a very different report 4 hours later SquareCircles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No! Its a different report to the one four hours ago! Few additional graphics discussed, so thanks for sharing a very different report 4 hours later SquareCircles

Apologies, looked like an identical report from the start

It's an absolutely sensational forecast. But he was very sure to mention not locked in yet, as we well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

The model thread is great reading, jeez i studied that stuff in University and sometimes i wish i'd kept up to date. None the less this is once in a lifetime stuff, and its just pretty sad that the met office isn't reporting correctly. In the whest (and the rest), its lambing season and people need to know whats coming. Imagine having to get hundreds of sheep and lambs inside with just 24 hours notice !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

tenbob1 wrote: »
    The model thread is great reading, jeez i studied that stuff in University and sometimes i wish i'd kept up to date. None the less this is once in a lifetime stuff, and its just pretty sad that the met office isn't reporting correctly. In the whest (and the rest), its lambing season and people need to know whats coming. Imagine having to get hundreds of sheep and lambs inside with just 24 hours notice !

You're dead right.

It's also humaning season, and that could also become an issue towards the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The sensible thing to do would be to head off to the Canary Islands for the week's sun, but they're currently enjoying:

'Landslides, fallen branches, trees on road, demolished roadsigns and power cuts. Wind gusts of 109km, closed schools and two people had to be rescued when they became trapped in their car in the mountain area of Izaña in Tenerife by SNOW.'

Generally it looks like Wed-Friday, not so much the early part of the week for heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tenbob1

It will indeed become an issue, and everyone will wonder why there was not more notice given, and how it surprised everyone. The folks in met eirenn are well aware of what going on, so you got to wonder, what agenda (or who) is stopping the notifications at this late stage ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow showers really getting going now over eastern UK, some of them now making as far as Leeds/Bradford. We might see flurries getting into the Irish sea in a few hours time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

snow showers really getting going now over eastern UK, some of them now making as far as Leeds/Bradford. We might see flurries getting into the Irish sea in a few hours time.

Surprised at how quick the showers are moving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement