Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Saganist wrote: »
    Surprised at how quick the showers are moving.

yep, making progress quicker than I expected too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even just now I stepped outside (in a t-shirt) and it's not overly chilly. Tiny bit of frost forming on cars but still a lovely night. In one way I'd love a big event so I could play with my kids in the snow but on the flipside there's so much hassle with such a weather event.

Over here in central England it was bitterly cold walking outside around 8pm. Lovely windless starry night but very very cold. It's coming....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Just watched the link to the Thomasz fella on BBC, suggests Friday could be a huge blizzard of sorts.
    Right the way from 00:00hrs through till about 5-6pm.

Too early to be certain but having a shovel by the back door, might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Another epic forecast from Tomas.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/43192715

Jawdropping at the end there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Is there anyway to watch it without downloading the Iplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

trying not to focus on Friday too much but if that happened, the country would be at a standstill with deep snow and drifting, something I haven't witnessed since 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

tenbob1 wrote: »
    The model thread is great reading, jeez i studied that stuff in University and sometimes i wish i'd kept up to date. None the less this is once in a lifetime stuff, and its just pretty sad that the met office isn't reporting correctly. In the whest (and the rest), its lambing season and people need to know whats coming. Imagine having to get hundreds of sheep and lambs inside with just 24 hours notice !

I'm not sure what you mean "met office (I assume you mean Met Eireann) isn't reporting correctly"!

A weather advisory was issued a number of days ago.

I suspect most (if not all) people with lambs are paying close attention to the weather forecasts and advisories and planning accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Go to the ME site and read how the Warning System works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

dfx- wrote: »
    Over here in central England it was bitterly cold walking outside around 8pm. Lovely windless starry night but very very cold. It's coming....

It's cloudy here now but the wind would cut you in two. I can see the snow clouds about 20 miles to the east. I'm doing my best to push them westwards to Gonzo , so that might explain the quicker progression:p

snow showers reaching Manchester now. Surprised they are making it that far inland. Snowing over much of London as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

I've just spent a about an hour sitting and starring at this from MT earlier

TOTAL SNOWFALLS PREDICTED OVER PERIOD 27 February to 3 March 2018 (cms)

LOCATION ______ Least __ 25% __ 50% __ 75% __ Most

Dublin ___________ 5 ____ 20 ____ 37 ____ 55 ____ 70

Cork _____________3 ____ 18 ____ 30 ____ 45 ____ 60

Waterford ________ 2 ____ 15 ____ 25 ____ 35 ____ 48

Galway __________ 1 ____ 10 ____ 20 ____ 30 ____ 40

Belfast ___________5 ____ 20 ____ 35 ____ 50 ____ 65

Limerick/Shannon __ 2 ____ 12 ____ 23 ____ 35 ____ 50

I can't help but feel he is going over the top dramatically there but If it came true it would be the greatest snow event I'm ever likely to see in Ireland, no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo wrote: »
    snow showers reaching Manchester now. Surprised they are making it that far inland. Snowing over much of London as well.

Out of Curiousity what radar are you using? I find the Netweather radar is very misleading. It often shows precipitation when in actual fact there is nothing falling.

Out of Curiousity what radar are you using? I find the Netweather radar is very misleading. It often shows precipitation when in actual fact there is nothing falling.

was looking at netweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Anticipating another storm in a teacup like the hurricane thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Jesus Wept wrote: »

Ophelia wasn't a storm in a teacup. It killed two people and caused a lot of damage to the southern counties. You live in the Greater Dublin Area which was shielded by the Wicklow mountains and took the sting out of the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

GFS incoming in T minus 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Jeeze that Thurs,Fri looks very nasty, major disruption likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Met eireann forecast has rain and sleet showers now for tomorrow Tuesday in temps of 3 to 6c ie warmer than today
    Where is that coming from?

Met eireann forecast has rain and sleet showers now for tomorrow Tuesday in temps of 3 to 6c ie warmer than today
    Where is that coming from?

yet further down in the very same forecast they say
    "Tuesday: Frost gradually clearing on Tuesday morning to leave it dry at first with some sunny spells. However, cloud will increase from the east in the afternoon with patchy sleet and snow moving in to affect parts of east Ulster, Leinster and east Munster - staying largely dry elsewhere. Maximum temperatures on Tuesday of 2 to 5 degrees in a biting east to northeast wind."

Do they even read over their forecast before making it public?

Edit, they changed there forecast about 30 minutes later to a less messy one.

kod87 wrote: »
    "Tuesday: Frost gradually clearing on Tuesday morning to leave it dry at first with some sunny spells. However, cloud will increase from the east in the afternoon with patchy sleet and snow moving in to affect parts of east Ulster, Leinster and east Munster - staying largely dry elsewhere. Maximum temperatures on Tuesday of 2 to 5 degrees in a biting east to northeast wind."

The rain and sleet part was updated just before 5am. That part of forecast is from yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yeah same text in that part as before
    The rest has changed to rain

And on the Dublin forecast they have a temp of 4 c Tuesday

The rain and sleet part was updated just before 5am. That part of forecast is from yesterday.

I know, but they say different things for the same timeframe, that's just sloppy from met eireann. It would not take much effort for them to read their own forecast to ensure it makes sense, maybe my expectations of professionalism are too high. I would imagine they will change it soon.

I know, but they say different things for the same timeframe, that's just sloppy from met eireann. It would not take much effort for them to read their own forecast to ensure it makes sense, maybe my expectations of professionalism are too high. I would imagine they will change it soon.

I agree. I've noticed it alot before in the morning before they update outlook. Coldest air starts coming in Tuesday late afternoon so I wouldn't worry. My location high will be higher tomorrow than today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Rain and sleet showers forecast for tomorrow for east coast. Gerry Murphy back from hiding I think. The cold is still coming but those showers will disappoint a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Apt name

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

I think streamer activity is our only hope here in the West. The Thurs/Fri event seems to have dissipated to just sleety rain according to the GFS. I hope I'm wrong and the direction of the low takes a different route. The only thing I'm worried about are the uppers that day. Looking forward to MT's interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

An outrageous forecast wtf are they getting rain and schleet from ??

for today maybe, but they say rain/sleet for tuesday, that's just not going to happen. From tonight onwards it will be snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I will be using the Abbey Road webcam as a UK snowfall reference. Nothing yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Can only think sea temperatures are going to be a factor. Nothing else there surely? Strange forecast. The further outlook update will be interesting once ECM run is out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement