Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Don't understand how they can possible try and say rain and sleet Tuesday afternoon. Like others have said can't see how on earth that's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Sorry a lurker here but I have to come in and say this. To all who are looking for snow you won’t b half fond of it when ye no running water, power and heat. Think about the homeless and farmers who definitely aren’t looking for snow. A lot people on this hoping a red warning so they get a day r 2 off work. Cop on snow is a disaster Nd this country could t cope with 5cm never mind a foot and half.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Rapid thaw setting in Friday if GFS is to be believed. The extent of this cold is being nibbled away at with each model run. May only be a 3 day spell at this rate. The problem is the deep cold from Siberia has already been long since cut off from its source by the time it gets here. I would say an important cold spell coming up, but significantly shriveled from what was modeled last Thursday Friday. Some models were showing things only really kicking off nextcThursday night, now most have snow to rain on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Met Eireann update overnight still has southern half of country in for disruptive snowfall on Thursday. ECM will be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Sorry a lurker here but I have to come in and say this. To all who are looking for snow you won’t b half fond of it when ye no running water, power and heat. Think about the homeless and farmers who definitely aren’t looking for snow. A lot people on this hoping a red warning so they get a day r 2 off work. Cop on snow is a disaster Nd this country could t cope with 5cm never mind a foot and half.

It does not matter what any of us hope for, nature will do its own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

No one here is controlling the snow. The weather will do what it will do, good or bad. If the worst for you comes off, others will be happy with it, and vice versa. It's like getting angry when the tide comes in and swamps a sandcastle you made. Pointless. But let the government and met eireann make their calls on this and at least most can prepare. If it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Not really a comparison between being homeless and being a farmer. Username checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Going to be interesting to see how they handle the warnings this morning.

People need time to prepare so surely a red is warranted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Red means stay indoors, do not travel. Can't see that been issued yet. Maybe later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Red means stay indoors, do not travel. Can't see that been issued yet. Maybe later in the week.

Yeah. Orange but with an advisory of the possible upgrade to red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭TimHorton

kod87 wrote: »
    I've just spent a about an hour sitting and starring at this from MT earlier

TOTAL SNOWFALLS PREDICTED OVER PERIOD 27 February to 3 March 2018 (cms)

LOCATION ______ Least __ 25% __ 50% __ 75% __ Most

Dublin ___________ 5 ____ 20 ____ 37 ____ 55 ____ 70

Cork _____________3 ____ 18 ____ 30 ____ 45 ____ 60

Waterford ________ 2 ____ 15 ____ 25 ____ 35 ____ 48

Galway __________ 1 ____ 10 ____ 20 ____ 30 ____ 40

Belfast ___________5 ____ 20 ____ 35 ____ 50 ____ 65

Limerick/Shannon __ 2 ____ 12 ____ 23 ____ 35 ____ 50

I can't help but feel he is going over the top dramatically there but If it came true it would be the greatest snow event I'm ever likely to see in Ireland, no doubt

Great work , Anything for the Midlands and its new capital Athlone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Oh dear... Cold just about holds up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

1z6sap3.png

Showers moving in to Eastern England.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Everyone is talking about Friday onwards. What is happening between then and now? Are the Irish sea streamers still as potent looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Surinam wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about Friday onwards. What is happening between then and now? Are the Irish sea streamers still as potent looking?

Lots of showers over in East UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met eireann forecast has rain and sleet showers now for tomorrow Tuesday in temps of 3 to 6c ie warmer than today
    Where is that coming from?

I’d say the showers will likely start off as rain and sleet near to coasts. All snow then by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh dear the gfs is not nice for us snow lovers :(

UKMO still looks ok

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Anticipating another storm in a teacup like the hurricane thing.

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭threetrees

When we had Red for Ophelia we stayed indoors, it was dangerous to be outside. Surely when/if we've Red for snow it's still safe to be outside? Travel may be dangerous on roads but actually walking someplace is fine?

Secondly, trying to get a feel for the severity of this, in 2010 did we have the Meteoalarm colour codes and if so, were Reds issued? I remember schools closing on a school by school basis but not nationally and places of work and shops were generally open.

I think to summarise the big 3 models run this morning from Thursday on:

GFS: not good. Initial snow quickly turning to rain on Friday and milder by the weekend.

ECM: snow lasting a bit longer into Friday but much milder by Saturday.

UKMO: snow and prolongs the cold as has the low further to the east/south.

The trend is not our friend with this low but there is still much uncertainty. Just look at how much it has changed in the last 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Showers getting moving nicely inland in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Oh dear the gfs is not nice for us snow lovers :(

UKMO still looks ok

Who says the GFS is right though? The UKMO is a decent model and often has called things first and been proved right if I’m not mistaken.

I think to summarise the big 3 models from Thursday on:

GFS: not good. Initial snow quickly turning to rain on Friday and milder by the weekend.

ECM: snow lasting a bit longer into Friday but much milder by Saturday.

UKMO: snow and prolongs the cold as has the low further to the east/south.

The trend is not our friend with this low but there is still much uncertainty. Just look at how much it has changed in the last 48 hours.

Once we get a few days of snow this week I'll be happy. Are we still expecting east coast from Tuesday night ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Evelyn cusack on morning Ireland in 1 min

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Getting reports from relatives in London that it’s just starting to snow there. It’s on its way :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Speak Now wrote: »
    Showers getting moving nicely inland in Britain.

Despite what that show....some of those showers are rain! :mad:

Once we get a few days of snow this week I'll be happy. Are we still expecting east coast from Tuesday night ?

Yeah the east in for big snow days for Tuesday/Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Evelyn Cusack saying they will be issuing a red warning later in the week.

Evelyn says orange warning due to come today for tomorrow night onwards with red due later in the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Evelyn Cusack on RTE radio one now. Rain tomorrow afternoon/evening turning increasingly to sleet and snow with accumulations on Tuesday night on east coast,more snow Wednesday, watching the weather system on Thursday which may bring blizzard conditions and a lot of snow! She said its likely a red warning will be issued later in the week but wasnt giving detail or exact figures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement