Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Got the "it's 100% not gonna snow, its another ophelia" speech this morning. And apparently its to be the other side of the country not the east. Hhhhmmmm.

2013Lara wrote: »
    Got the "it's 100% not gonna snow, its another ophelia" speech this morning. And apparently its to be the other side of the country not the east. Hhhhmmmm.

Genuinely don't understand people who think Ophelia was a non event. I understand it wasn't that severe in Dublin, but even saying that I live in the city centre and the morning after there were a lot of big fallen branches on my walk to work that would have been dangerous had people been out walking/driving under them!

My family and some of my friends don't believe me that there's going to be bad snow either. I hope they heed any warnings that are issued later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

First phantom snow showers showing up on the Netweather radar over Wexford.
    I say phantom as there are cumulus clouds crossing over but just doesn't look like there's any precipitation falling from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I would urge major caution on the hype forecasts citing 50cm of snow. I just don’t see it happening from a streamer set up followed by a snow to rain transition Friday. Let’s wait and see.

What I expect is lying snow in Dublin by Wednesday evening - first notable sea level snow since 2010. Perhaps 5cm by time the frontal snow moves in, rising to 10-15cm before a massive thaw and flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

I would urge major caution on the hype forecasts citing 50cm of snow. I just don’t see it happening from a streamer set up followed by a snow to rain transition Friday. Let’s wait and see.

What I expect is lying snow in Dublin by Wednesday evening - first notable sea level snow since 2010. Perhaps 5cm by time the frontal snow moves in, rising to 10-15cm before a massive thaw and flooding.

Yeah but MT mentioned that if the low takes a more southerly track than what's depicted in the models we could see that much snow. It's a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭beco

I’m in Killiney. 315ft ASL and about 2km as the crow flies to the sea I’m one direction. Would the height or closeness to the sea effect the level of snow falling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Seems very warm this morning. Blue skies over Dublin. Nearly everyone iv'e spoke with is saying they are prepared for snow but don't expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I am reading that the 50cm + accumulations are in the Wicklow mountains with drift.. so there is every possibility there will be 50cm in some locations, just probably not in Dublin City Centre? Which by the looks of it, arent taking a bit of notice yet, going by my friends on social media who seem a little surprised by my warnings of having water and blankets in the car etc etc. Hope proper warnings come out today or I am gonna look like a proper spoon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Genuinely don't understand people who think Ophelia was a non event. I understand it wasn't that severe in Dublin, but even saying that I live in the city centre and the morning after there were a lot of big fallen branches on my walk to work that would have been dangerous had people been out walking/driving under them!
    The narrative has become that it wasn't dangerous at all on the east, but plenty of trees and branches down and roads blocked around Wicklow. We just don't know the "might have been" impact if everyone had just been going about their business. The way it has been talked down is quite dangerous imo, for the heeding of future warnings.

Lovely cold frosty morning near Roundwood. Hard frost but calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Genuinely don't understand people who think Ophelia was a non event.

Yep.

Try telling my neighbour who’s wall came down and myself and the people in my area who were without electricity and water for 6 days that Ophelia was a non-event!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

First phantom snow showers showing up on the Netweather radar over Wexford.
    I say phantom as there are cumulus clouds crossing over but just doesn't look like there's any precipitation falling from them.

Light snow was reported in the current conditions thread by a poster in Waterford I think very early this morning

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The narrative has become that it wasn't dangerous at all on the east, but plenty of trees and branches down and roads blocked around Wicklow. We just don't know the "might have been" impact if everyone had just been going about their business. The way it has been talked down is quite dangerous imo, for the heeding of future warnings.

Lovely cold frosty morning near Roundwood. Hard frost but calm.

Yes just talking to a family member now who has to drive from Rush to South Dublin for work Tuesday and Wednesday night, she said 'hopefully it won't be as bad as they said like with the storm'. Trying to impress on her that it most likely will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

What time are the crises team due to meet/ end today?

When can we expect something from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

daheff wrote: »

Not sure on time, but I'd expect the first specific warnings to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

daheff wrote:

daheff wrote:

10:30 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

daheff wrote: »

meeting at 10:30h this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Just trying to prepare if schools are open tomorrow could it be possible we will be called earlier to pick up. Or will it be Tuesday evening b4 the snow arrives North Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

First showers making their way into the Irish sea now, with -5 uppers reaching the east coast of Ireland (and -10 uppers soon) perhaps we could see these showers intensify?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Started snowing heavy enough here in south east London at 8am. Still going but light now. It is so cold, dark and grey .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    First showers making their way into the Irish sea now, with -5 uppers reaching the east coast of Ireland (and -10 uppers soon) perhaps we could see these showers intensify?

well the breeze in Dublin city centre nearly cut me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

No snow forecast for the north really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

lawred2 wrote:
    well the breeze in Dublin city centre nearly cut me

Yeah, I find usually sharper coming off the Dart in Clontarf but the CC was like a razer blade through my hair. Threw the hat on which helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yes just talking to a family member now who has to drive from Rush to South Dublin for work Tuesday and Wednesday night, she said 'hopefully it won't be as bad as they said like with the storm'. Trying to impress on her that it most likely will be!

To be fair, there’s nothing wrong with what she’s saying as long as she prepares for it

Most people hope it isn’t as bad as predicted, and for her and others Ophelia wasn’t as bad as predicted

Now if she ignores the warnings that’s a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Netweather is down most of the time and it's only just beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

channaigh wrote: »
    Just trying to prepare if schools are open tomorrow could it be possible we will be called earlier to pick up. Or will it be Tuesday evening b4 the snow arrives North Kilkenny

I’d imagine schools will be normal Tuesday there
    Wenesday I’d expect problems

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tazio wrote: »
    meeting at 10:30h this morning.

A nice Monday lie in for the lads! :pac:

Dodge wrote: »
    To be fair, there’s nothing wrong with what she’s saying as long as she prepares for it

Most people hope it isn’t as bad as predicted, and for her and others Ophelia wasn’t as bad as predicted

Now if she ignores the warnings that’s a different story

Oh yeah I'm not annoyed at her just want to make sure she understands the risk, which it seems now she does!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

-11C in Zurich this morning (no snow). The beast has arrived....long live the beast!

Hope it does not cause too much disruption in Ireland and elsewhere. Temperature is one thing, it's the quantity of snow forecast which i'd be more worried about. That and the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Hey everyone, long long time lurker here (I remember following this forum by the second in 2012 looking to get a day off during my leaving cert year, oh sweet summer child). Thanks to MT and the usuals for the great entertainment and weather forecasting over the years.

I don't understand the big fuss about Friday ending the snow. Even a day forecast like Wednesday would be taken in a split second during the last few winters. Let's just enjoy the next couple of days while we can because it could be another 5 years before we see the likes of again! :)

Bitterly cold in Sandyford this morning, no sign of any snow on the M11 yet which I'm sure will require a snowmobile and/or dogs to commute on midweek!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement