Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

lawred2 wrote: »
    well the breeze in Dublin city centre nearly cut me

Yep wind has suddenly strengthened at Grange, Dublin 13.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jdcv94 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, long long time lurker here (I remember following this forum by the second in 2012 looking to get a day off during my leaving cert year, oh sweet summer child). Thanks to MT and the usuals for the great entertainment and weather forecasting over the years.

I don't understand the big fuss about Friday ending the snow. Even a day forecast like Wednesday would be taken in a split second during the last few winters. Let's just enjoy the next couple of days while we can because it could be another 5 years before we see the likes of again! :)

Bitterly cold in Sandyford this morning, no sign of any snow on the M11 yet which I'm sure will require a snowmobile and/or dogs to commute on midweek!

24hrs from now we will see light snow showers
    48hrs from now we will see heavy snow showers with acc Tues night into Weds, 5-10cm locally along coasts, could see more on higher grounds, 2-5 probably elsewhere.
    72hrs from now, same situation as above
    96hrs from now, lord knows, charts are still arguing but I think disruptable snow potential is very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jdcv94 wrote: »
    I don't understand the big fuss about Friday ending the snow. Even a day forecast like Wednesday would be taken in a split second during the last few winters. Let's just enjoy the next couple of days while we can because it could be another 5 years before we see the likes of again! :)
    I think the fuss is the potential for either massive snow, and/or a quick thaw causing flooding (and I think the tides are high on Friday).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

dharma200 wrote: »
    going by my friends on social media who seem a little surprised by my warnings of having water and blankets in the car etc etc. Hope proper warnings come out today or I am gonna look like a proper spoon.....

Unless your planning a spin up the Sally Gap in the middle of a blizzard, why would you need water and blankets in your car ?
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    The narrative has become that it wasn't dangerous at all on the east, but plenty of trees and branches down and roads blocked around Wicklow. We just don't know the "might have been" impact if everyone had just been going about their business. The way it has been talked down is quite dangerous imo, for the heeding of future warnings.

I disagree. I think it's the complete over hyping both online and in the media followed by the inevitable anticlimax that leads people to become complacent about these warnings..

Trees and branches down all over Wicklow is nothing new.. It happens on a regular basis. We were led to believe by many that Ophelia would be the storm of a lifetime. It wasn't.

That said, this thread has got me hooked back in again as it does appear like we may actually have a snow event in the east. Let's hope it lives up to expectations..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Currently cloudy in glasnevin. might see a few flurries in the afternoon nothing too significant just yet. tomorrow afternoon onwards looks quite disruptive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

She also said turning back to rain Friday from the south
    Also said first showers in east tomorrow from a front will be rain

There is a pocket of less cold air just ahead Tuesdays front, 850hPa temps peak around -9C, but plummet again after it passes.
    Some of the models have dew points nudge above zero in the Irish Sea during this time.
    I suspect soft hail or wet snow will be the outcome at sea level.
    Fridays event is still anyone's guess at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

There is a pocket of less cold air just ahead Tuesdays front, 850hPa temps peak around -9C, but plummet again after it passes.
    Some of the models have dew points nudge above zero in the Irish Sea during this time.

Spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’ve been following thread since it started but am I right in the following layman interpretation of forecasts:

Tonight: Gets Colder, sprinkling of snow in east coast

Tomorrow: colder still but more prolonged snow showers

Wednesday: colder still and heavier snow showers, made worse from snow previous day

Thursday: sort of same as weds

Friday: potentially start of the thaw which could lead to flooding or if the cold front remains we will have “the day after tomorrow” kind of blizzards”?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

emo72 wrote: »
    Lucan too. No frost on cars. Dry air I guess.

I noticed the soil starting to go hard in Balbriggan. Its an invisible frost but it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’ve been following thread since it started but am I right in the following layman interpretation of forecasts:

Tonight: Gets Colder, sprinkling of snow in east coast

Tomorrow: colder still but more prolonged snow showers

Wednesday: colder still and heavier snow showers, made worse from snow previous day

Thursday: sort of same as weds

Friday: potentially start of the thaw which could lead to flooding or if the cold front remains we will have “the day after tomorrow” kind of blizzards”?

Pretty much spot on. And this guidance has been largely the same now for over 24hrs. The snow for Tuesday to Thursday is nailed. The position of low pressure towards the weekend will dictate whether we get a pile of slush or a blizzard of 1982 proportions. All to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Swanner wrote: »
    Unless your planning a spin up the Sally Gap in the middle of a blizzard, why would you need water and blankets in your car ?

I disagree. I think it's the complete over hyping both online and in the media followed by the inevitable anticlimax that leads people to become complacent about these warnings..

Trees and branches down all over Wicklow is nothing new.. It happens on a regular basis. We were led to believe by many that Ophelia would be the storm of a lifetime. It wasn't.

That said, this thread has got me hooked back in again as it does appear like we may actually have a snow event in the east. Let's hope it lives up to expectations..

People died in storm ophelia and many more would have if red warning not issued, roof blown off school....would that be considered over hype?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Asked a couple of lads in work there about the snow and their face of confusion ways it all. They have no idea of any bad weather. It's actually scary how little people know about this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Live cams of the new spurs ground being built, it's snowing http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com/interact/

Try not to step in brown snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

brookers wrote: »
    People died in storm ophelia and many more would have if red warning not issued, roof blown off school....would that be considered over hype?

People die in weather related events.. It happens with or without storms..

We had a roof blown off a block of apartments near us some years years ago..

There was no hype at the time..

You think think the hype is warranted.. I don't..

Let's just agree to disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A lot more cloud rolling in off the Irish Sea here in Arklow this morning
    Biting breeze

Currently 2c with a dp of -4c

9375825975ba4be7c0961b15aac9dba0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

a lot of dismissive, we've heard it all before talk in work today. I've told my manger I'm taking my laptop home and to expect a call for Wednesday on if not Tuesday as I am not confident of being able to commute. She agreed with me but I could see a few raised eyebrows around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Of the extremely few people outside during the storm 3 died. If they hadn't issued an alert I can assure you more would have been killed, what if a tree had fallen in a playground while children were out playing after school?
    Im sure you'd be out for blood if met eireann hadn't told the country anything and any incident like that occurred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Prediction:

In 9 months a baby boom, or in 5 days, a lot of divorces stating the reason for divorce as 'Wouldn't stop going on about some imaginary snowstorm!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

no.8 wrote: »
    -11C in Zurich this morning (no snow). The beast has arrived....long live the beast!

Hope it does not cause too much disruption in Ireland and elsewhere. Temperature is one thing, it's the quantity of snow forecast which i'd be more worried about. That and the wind.

Will we all have to get 666 tattooed on our foreheads after this? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

antodeco wrote: »
    Asked a couple of lads in work there about the snow and their face of confusion ways it all. They have no idea of any bad weather. It's actually scary how little people know about this stuff!

They Must lead a very sheltered lives then it’s on every weather forecast it’s actually reported in the main news reports
    All over Facebook and Twitter
    Either that or there taking the pis

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

wakka12 wrote: »
    Of the extremely few people outside during the storm 3 died. If they hadn't issued an alert I can assure you more would have been killed, what if a tree had fallen in a playground while children were out playing after school?
    Im sure you'd be out for blood if met eireann hadn't told the country anything and any incident like that occurred

Well put, the Warnings were issued and people stayed inside. Unfortunately I had to drive along rural roads as the storm started to peak. It's not a fun thing to do as lumps of boughs and trees come down all over the roads. Thankfully the roads were pretty much deserted, I only met one other vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

optogirl wrote: »
    a lot of dismissive, we've heard it all before talk in work today. I've told my manger I'm taking my laptop home and to expect a call for Wednesday on if not Tuesday as I am not confident of being able to commute. She agreed with me but I could see a few raised eyebrows around.

Were you booking flights to Barbados while speaking to her? That might have been the kicker...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Living in bray and by the looks of the snow charts all the guys have posted in the technical thread, we won't be getting any snow, can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thank you in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I'll guess you live in or near Dublin and close to the coast. - Due to nature
    and speed of that storm it was nigh on impossible to give absolute accuracy.

I'm in Kildare - it was crazy for about 3 hours - real crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

After a clear night in Wexford the clouds are already building from the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Well if we don't get dry rain it will be disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

00benski wrote: »
    Living in bray and by the looks of the snow charts all the guys have posted in the technical thread, we won't be getting any snow, can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thank you in advance.
    It's looking that way now. There will probably be precipitation but it could fall as sleet at sea leve due to higher air temps & dewpoint. I'm in Wicklow Town and share the same pessimism based on how things are trending. I hope that's wrong! We got absolutely lashed out of it in 2010 from streamers but there has been nothing since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

00benski wrote: »

There’s a hammering of snow into Dublin in shower form wenesday,the southern extent of which seems to be about shankill or Bray
    Another expected south of Wicklow head and into the coast there down to wexford
    Modeling of streamers is difficult,it really will be a case of radar watch,thunder is expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

First bit of the white stuff arriving on the east coast in the north now, think we should start seeing flurries around or just after lunch along the east coast.

442902.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement