Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Swanner wrote: »
    dharma200 wrote: »
    going by my friends on social media who seem a little surprised by my warnings of having water and blankets in the car etc etc. Hope proper warnings come out today or I am gonna look like a proper spoon.....

Unless your planning a spin up the Sally Gap in the middle of a blizzard, why would you need water and blankets in your car ?
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    The narrative has become that it wasn't dangerous at all on the east, but plenty of trees and branches down and roads blocked around Wicklow. We just don't know the "might have been" impact if everyone had just been going about their business. The way it has been talked down is quite dangerous imo, for the heeding of future warnings.

I disagree. I think it's the complete over hyping both online and in the media followed by the inevitable anticlimax that leads people to become complacent about these warnings..

Trees and branches down all over Wicklow is nothing new.. It happens on a regular basis.  We were led to believe by many that Ophelia would be the storm of a lifetime. It wasn't.

That said, this thread has got me hooked back in again as it does appear like we may actually have a snow event in the east. Let's hope it lives up to expectations..
    I was wondering about the blanket in the car to but where's the harm? I've been stuck on a summers day for 2 hours sitting on the m50 wishing I had a snack or two in the car and a bottle of water..  if you are commuting and the worst of the weather comes and in all likelihood you'll know Wednesday morning before starting a journey then its probably worth throwing a few extra bits in the car..  also probably worth having a full tank of fuel in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

00benski wrote: »
    Living in bray and by the looks of the snow charts all the guys have posted in the technical thread, we won't be getting any snow, can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thank you in advance.

There is likely to be atleast 5cm snow in the greater dublin region by wednesday morning..with potential for considerably more. So bray will most likely get snow this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

also probably worth having a full tank of fuel in the car

Now that's useful advice..

Also a pee bottle in case you get stuck in traffic on the M50 for a few hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Living in bray and by the looks of the snow charts all the guys have posted in the technical thread, we won't be getting any snow, can anyone tell me if this is correct? Thank you in advance.

Wrong, they've mentioned specifically eastern coastal counties. As posters have said don't go off snow charts. The Irish sea is going to throw alot our way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Don't touch that yellow snow when you're stuck for more than 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Huh???

All the snow charts have the heaviest snow directly over Bray. Like we're literally the epicentre of it!

That snow chart you are looking at has us in the Blue 10-15cm Zone. The fact that the coast with places like Bray, Killiney/Dalkey, Dublin CC and Howth are in the grey is just down to the resolution of the graphic not an indication that the coastal fringes wont get snow.

That said, it could be hit or miss. The wind direction may shift to an ESE on Wednesday and the boys and girls in Meath and Louth get a crack at it.

Im a major Bray Snowbunny and I'm not worried.....yet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Is the Irish sea starting to wake up?....just going on latest radar return.

From weathercheck in the technical thread:

Latest Harmonie has those snow showers getting well inland tomorrow night...Looking at the 6z output Greater Dublin will be at a complete standstill Wednesday morning

Places like Kildare could do very well as snow showers slow a little inland and dump their goods.

Harmonie has streamer action lined up on Dublin from 10pm tomorrow through until 10am Wednesday, 2-3cm an hour, some sweet spots could total 20cm by Wednesday lunchtime but more generally 5-10cm

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

work in Bray and travelling from Gorey each day

Going to bed last night I was expecting a week of disruption, but now looking like not too much to fear after all?

Just to note I do not understand weather charts or most terms when it comes to weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Snow appearing on the radar not far from me now, east co . Down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

R.F. wrote: »

Going to bed last night I was expecting a week of disruption, but now looking like not too much to fear after all?

Just to note I do not understand weather charts or most terms when it comes to weather.

where are you hearing that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where do people get this stuff? Met eireanns forecast still stands as disruptive snowfall throughout leinster on late tuesday wednesday and thursday with possible red warning for blizzard on thursday/friday

any 'downgrade' talk is about the possible/likely thaw that will set in friday morning/afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe you are looking at the wrong forecast,even a couple of centimetres here brings the roads to a grinding halt. A lot more than a few centimetres is forecast for the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I hope the result of the meeting is that they advise schools to close on Wednesday and Thursday, if not Friday as well. Too many people aren't going to heed the risks, I know some people who are planning evenings out in town on Wed and Thurs. They might find it hard to get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Yet again this morning there seems that slight uncertainty again on certain things heading into Friday. People are forgetting up to Friday. Can some of the experts give us an update on what’s currently going on in lay mans terms as the more we go on the more all us amateurs are taking Friday as it will all be washed away by rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Yet again this morning there seems that slight uncertainty again on certain things heading into Friday. People are forgetting up to Friday. Can some of the experts give us an update on what’s currently going on in lay mans terms as the more we go on the more all us amateurs are taking Friday as it will all be washed away by rain.

I'm not an expert, but it's looking like this:

Today: cold, getting colder, with some potential sleet / snow later
    Tuesday: getting colder still, snow coming in from the afternoon but tomorrow night is when it'll hit
    Wednesday: consistent heavy snow all day
    Thursday: Potential for further snow, like Wednesday
    Friday: hard to tell. Could continue in which case the wind could cause blizzards. Or the sun could come up, temp goes up, and the snow will thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's hard to believe how bad it's going to get this week. It is an absolutely beautiful morning here in Clare.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

davidsr20 wrote: »

It's up in the air really. Most of charts favour whiteout conditions currently but a few are favouring slushy mess and quick transition to milder air. We probably wont know what the story is until Wednesday or even Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

It just attempted to snow here in Dundalk, literally a few flakes and it stopped.
    A good sign though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Last few posts are a bit misleading
    The showers will form in trains
    Some areas on the east coast will not get these full on shower trains
    Wind direction means Dublin probably will
    There will be areas on the east coast with little or no snow and up the road a few miles could be pounded
    Whoever is in a shower train wenesday will see an awful lot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There will be areas on the east coast with little or no snow and up the road a few miles could be pounded

Wind direction set to change over the days though, like a sprinkler system I think most counties will get something to varying days to a varying degree. East coast should get heavy showers throughout

I think the issue is some posters point blankly saying they won't have snow at all. For example the one on bray. Personally I think that we're looking at greater Dublin area down the coast in Wicklow at the moment and then however far they get inland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

brianblaze wrote: »
    Depends if you're a Huddersfield fan I suppose...

Nope. Hoping to see Huddersfield buried under an avalanche of goals!!
    Might not get to see anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Sun splitting the rocks here in Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

loughside wrote: »
    Snow appearing on the radar not far from me now, east co . Down

ps4_antonio_banderas_assassins.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

My normally very soggy muddy field is now like concrete and bone dry. If there are any flurries at all today they will stick for sure.
    Dub 16 260m Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Skies darkening IFSC in Dublin City center. Looks as though a showers fast approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

I commute the M11 everyday and I am not looking forward to Wednesday/Thursday if the precipitation charts are anything to go by. Mountains aside even, Wicklow is in direct fire for a pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It looks like the flurries have moved across the border now, can anyone around that area confirm if there is a few flakes dropping?

442908.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'm not taking any chances on this one, hopefully it will pass without much disruption but you never know and to be honest, it takes very little to be prepared.

Extra food and bottled bought in.

Emergency kit in both the cars which includes: Water, food, blanket, torch, hi-vis jacket, charger cable / power bank for phone and snow socks for the cars.

Gas cooker / bottle at the ready incase the power goes (which is highly unlikely I'm hoping).

At the end of the day, if all this passes off as nothing, I'll still be eatting the extra food and drinking the water anyways, so, no harm, no foul.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement