Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Screenshot_20180226-103421.png

Bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Boards in the next few hours... The snow bunnies will mass

See you all on the other side (or in the tech thread) Enjoy the snow! :D

32909C1200000578-0-image-a-38_1458962912744.jpg

Small flakes starting in D4

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Calibos wrote: »
    Huh???

All the snow charts have the heaviest snow directly over Bray. Like we're literally the epicentre of it!

That snow chart you are looking at has us in the Blue 10-15cm Zone. The fact that the coast with places like Bray, Killiney/Dalkey, Dublin CC and Howth are in the grey is just down to the resolution of the graphic not an indication that the coastal fringes wont get snow.

That said, it could be hit or miss. The wind direction may shift to an ESE on Wednesday and the boys and girls in Meath and Louth get a crack at it.

Im a major Bray Snowbunny and I'm not worried.....yet! :D
    Haha OK thanks. That's obviously what it is. You can only see grey along small parts of the coast obviously down to resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

there goes work for the day....spend the rest of it checking this thread for reports of snow :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No real change in the weather in Bandon area from what we have had here the last few days. Clear skies last night but no significant frost. Turned cloudy again this morning and still cold but bone dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The eagerness of some people for it to snow and snow heavily is very strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

daheff wrote: »
    there goes work for the day....spend the rest of it checking this thread for reports of snow :D

Same here, plenty of money wasted lol

I told my staff that they can have a board's weather break every 15 minute's

I'm a great boss lol Feck it it's snow week......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The eagerness of some people for it to snow and snow heavily is very strange to me.

People like different things

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Don't feed the troll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

00benski
    Im no expert, but many on here are, (blizzard7 is posting this morn - follow his advice until he tells you differently) and reading what they have to say, this is not correct and you should prepare for disruption at some point.

Not sure where the type of response you had to your post comes from.
    Its frustrating as these posts come across as fact, they are in fact rubbish and dangerous

Aha I'm far from an expert! But yes definitely expect disruption in the east this week, it doesn't take much and we'll there could be quite a bit in parts.

Lots of people saying what they think will happen, which is fine if it's backed by any sort of reasoning I.e a chart to back it up - otherwise stick to the forecasts.

First few flakes appear to have arrived along our east coast, I think there will be enough strength in the showers for a dusting in some parts tonight. Showers making it a lot further inland into the UK than I would have expected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Central London here. The difference in temperature between 9am this morning, and now, is incredible. In a very short time space of time it has become bitterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Total novice here....but is that some nice convection kicking up off the Irish Sea on Sat24? Dare I say.... streamer potential?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Total novice here....but is that some nice convection kicking up off the Irish Sea on Sat24? Dare I say.... streamer potential?

Supposedly the whole country will get it from Thursday to Saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

2 years working in Eastern Europe with extreme winters (-30 at times and cars engulfed in snow) is my only reason for wishing for heavy snow, for that nostalgic feel..... Them feels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm conflicted, a day or two is good fun, but living beside both livestock and crop farms, with new calves appearing on a daily basis and fields nearby showing new crop growth, it's a horrible thing at this time of year for anyone in that industry. I think a lot of people underestimate the potential devastating effects of the snow potential at this time of year. There's a flurry of activity over the weekend and this morning with trailers everywhere with feed and bedding.
    rooney30 wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll

What an incredibly odd thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Army called in rome to clear snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

question... if they declare a red warning does it mean the airport is closed for business?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

dave1982 wrote: »
    My sister in law is stuck there just now due to fly home this afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stomasal

daheff wrote: »

Me too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Got to love the armchair experts
    A man said to me earlier "I hear the emergency team are meeting, its a joke, it wont be as bad as they are talking about, it will be bad in England"
    If you say so.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

dave1982 wrote: »

Yep, one runway cleared only, massive delays and cancellations today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Get rid of that clean master app man. So so bad for your phone..

Oh thanks. Done. It was annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Some very light flakes in the air around Dublin 3... it begins :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

andrew wrote: »
    Central London here. The difference in temperature between 9am this morning, and now, is incredible. In a very short time space of time it has become bitterly cold.

Yeah, I saw the Sky News weather forecaster Isabel whatever her name is broadcasting from the roof of the Sky building in west London. She had layers of clothing on but was still freezing from the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

Pangea wrote: »
    Got to love the armchair experts
    A man said to me earlier "I hear the emergency team are meeting, its a joke, it wont be as bad as they are talking about, it will be bad in England"
    If you say so.... :rolleyes:

It snows a lot more in Dublin especially the suburbs and that is factual. It is also colder in Dublin. Check the most accurate site in Europe for stats..the Norwegian site Yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rooney30 wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll

Would you care to explain that?
    italodisco wrote: »
    2 years working in Eastern Europe with extreme winters (-30 at times and cars engulfed in snow) is my only reason for wishing for heavy snow, for that nostalgic feel..... Them feels

I'm not immune to the novelty of it, not at all. But against that is the simple fact that heavy snow will have a heavy impact on peoples lives and cause a whole lot of trouble for many, so its strange to see people eagerly anticipating it and actively wishing for it.

Thats their right and privilege and I don't deny that, but when I think of having to get to work later in the week I find I don't share the enthusiasm. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

I mean in comparison to London where it practically never snows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The beast is here, The beast is here! it's in my garden!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement