Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I live beside the sea in Dublin 4, even in 2010 there was nothing for us to worry about, school, work closed, the shops were still open, its just fun for the novelty factor and seeing my kids have a bit of fun. However conscious that its a nightmare for farmers or people living in isolated areas and elderly neighbours

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It snows a lot more in Dublin especially the suburbs and that is factual. It is also colder in Dublin. Check the most accurate site in Europe for stats..the Norwegian site Yo.

It snows more in Dublin than the UK?

News to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Listening to newstalk news- "Met Éireann have a yellow warning in place till next weekend" even an official radio station cant get it right, I guess thats what happens when Met Éireann make their advisories yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm conflicted, a day or two is good fun, but living beside both livestock and crop farms, with new calves appearing on a daily basis and fields nearby showing new crop growth, it's a horrible thing at this time of year for anyone in that industry. I think a lot of people underestimate the potential devastating effects of the snow potential at this time of year. There's a flurry of activity over the weekend and this morning with trailers everywhere with feed and bedding.

agreed. It'd be a different story if it was dec/jan when you'd half expect it. Coming at this time of year is a disaster though, and the mind boggles that people can be happy about it. If a red weather alert is issued by ME, there's every chance some people may lose their lives. I can't fathom how anyone can be happy that such a situation can exist.

But, each to their own I suppose. Wanting it or not wanting it is not going to have any influence on what happens. We can only hope that whatever transpires, ends quickly.

For those people with farms, or who are elderly, or who struggle to pay heating bills, I hope the damage caused is minimal.

Stay safe everyone.

Heard quite a few people in work talking about how if there is a red warning they will be asking that the building stay open and everyone turn up for work as last time there was a red warning it was a joke. Pointed out that three people died that time and more would most likely have died had there not been a warning but no talking to some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would you care to explain that?

I'm not immune to the novelty of it, not at all. But against that is the simple fact that heavy snow will have a heavy impact on peoples lives and cause a whole lot of trouble for many, so its strange to see people eagerly anticipating it and actively wishing for it.

Thats their right and privilege and I don't deny that, but when I think of having to get to work later in the week I find I don't share the enthusiasm. Oh well.

But you said you dont understand why some people get so excited about snow , then you said you are not immune to the novelty of it.

... does not compute. It seems you know well why some people get excited about it but just decided to post that anyway.

'Parp' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

First very very light flurries here on the coast in dalkey. In other weather news stunning scenes from rome this morning with s decent fall of snow. Proper cold air this is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This morning here in southern Poland was a record breaking morning for late Feb. -26.2c officially recorded.

I have to laugh at the media hype in the UK. It's embarrassing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yep, some very very light flurries at Grange too. This is only the beginning :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The eagerness of some people for it to snow and snow heavily is very strange to me.

People with no inner child are strange to me too. Youve plenty of days to work over the next 40-50 years. In Ireland you generally wont see the likes of this more than once a decade. Whats a couple of days off work for snow once a decade? Is your company going to fire you for not making it in in a Blizzard? Im in retail and this couldnt happen at a worse time for me....and yet I cant wait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yep, some very very flurries at Grange too. This is only the beginning :).

‘Very very flurries?’ ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Red weather warning likely later on in the week according to RTE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm almost excited to see my youngest reaction to snow as he was born in december 2010 so has never really experienced much since.
    Same here. My eldest was born in 2012 and so has basically never seen real snow. The heaviest since then was earlier this winter, and even that was 1cm or so that lasted about a day. Pissed off with this, I took her up the Dublin mountains at the start of December where there was about 10cm of it. She was beside herself, but managed to get snow in her boot pretty much straight after stepping out of the car, so we only got about 20 minutes out of it :rolleyes:

Looking forward to her being able to play out in the snow with her mates outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

snaps wrote: »
    This morning here in southern Poland was a record breaking morning for late Feb. -26.2c officially recorded.

Up to a foot of snow could fall on many urban areas of the UK, its hyped up because its exceptional weather

Calibos wrote: »
    People with no inner child are strange to me too. Youve plenty of days to work over the next 40-50 years. In Ireland you generally wont see the likes of this more than once a decade. Whats a couple of days off work for snow once a decade? Is your company going to fire you for not making it in in a Blizzard? Im in retail and this couldnt happen at a worse time for me....and yet I cant wait! :D

but what about if people die? Is that worth your couple of days off work?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It snows more in Dublin than the UK?

News to me!

Not the UK, London. London does seem to get that much snow compared to the rest of the UK (or even Dublin). And certainly all of the forecasts for this event have Dublin getting much more snow than London.

(incidentally, does anyone know of a similar forum to this one, but with more discussion about conditions in the (southern) UK?)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Tiny snow flakes blowing in the wind here. (Celbridge)
    Temp down from 2.9 about an hour ago to 2.6 now

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

dave1982 wrote: »
    Army called in rome to clear snow

Windy.com allows you to hover over webcams, lots in Rome, looks like they got a decent dumping! If you look at any of the webcams in the firing line of the easterly, it's all a white out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1bryan wrote: »

Oh yeh calibos didn't think about that. He will now have the snow cancelled as he forgot how thoughtless he was being by causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

If anybody wants to keep an eye on things in Dublin City Centre you can here

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Red weather warning likely later on in the week according to RTE now.

On there site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The UK tabloid hype is there regardless.. 21° C in July for 4 days in a row is a blistering heatwave. Nothing new there..

I am in Hampshire, South of England and we have light snow along with bitter cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

1bryan wrote: »

You could say the same about a flight, car journey, swim in the sea. It could be a once in a lifetime snow event - for a lot of people that's very exciting - it doesn't mean we don't care if people die. It's not an either or situation & if it's coming there's damn all any of us can do to stop it.

Yeah, isn't it embarrassing and ridiculous, sure it's really common to see England hit by sub-zero temperatures and mounds of snow in February. Just because your country is used to it does not mean that others aren't, but hey the media should be embarrassed as after all the worst that's going to happen is homeless people dying on the streets.

Also, it does reach -80C in the Antartic so I assume that if Poland was hit by temperatures of -80C and the media was hyping it then it would be fair for us over here to say it was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my feet are cold today, last time that happened was 2010....da da dah :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »
    ‘Very very flurries?’ ;)

Edited.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Oh yeh calibos didn't think about that. He will now have the snow cancelled as he forgot how thoughtless he was being by causing it

what? that's a very immature comment and doesn't, at all, even remotely counter what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pad199207 wrote: »
    If anybody wants to keep an eye on things in Dublin City Centre you can here

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

That's a very handy link.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Light snow flurry just now in dublin 5 right on the coast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement