Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

silverharp wrote: »
    my feet are cold today, last time that happened was 2010....da da dah :pac:

Put on socks

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Beautiful sunny day here in county limerick, bit cold but not freezing.
    Hopefully we get some of the snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

2 degrees here, feels like -3
    Humidity 55%
    Dew point -6
    I live in the very south east corner 1 mile from the sea, have lost the sun and clouds are rolling in.
    God I'm nervous, like I'm 7 years old waiting for Santa to come on Christmas eve nervous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Feel desperately sad for any homeless people in Ireland or throughout Europe tbh. Hopefully nothing comes of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

davidsr20 wrote: »
    On there site?

Yes but the link doesn't work for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

optogirl wrote: »
    You could say the same about a flight, car journey, swim in the sea. It could be a once in a lifetime snow event - for a lot of people that's very exciting - it doesn't mean we don't care if people die. It's not an either or situation & if it's coming there's damn all any of us can do to stop it.

agree 100%. However, dismissing a point-of-view (as that original poster did) by levelling an accusation of 'losing your inner child', while being so obtuse as to not acknowledge the seriousness of what the next few days will bring, is just wrong, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Calibos wrote: »
    People with no inner child are strange to me too. Youve plenty of days to work over the next 40-50 years. In Ireland you generally wont see the likes of this more than once a decade. Whats a couple of days off work for snow once a decade? Is your company going to fire you for not making it in in a Blizzard? Im in retail and this couldnt happen at a worse time for me....and yet I cant wait! :D

Nailed it. The whole "people will die" argument is a bit of a non sequitur in my opinion. People die, it's a fact of life. If people heed the warnings like they are supposed to the damage will be mitigated. Regarding the impact on people's livelihoods and business etc. as someone said, just because we wish for it doesn't mean it's going to happen. Weather is going to be what it's going to be. We are rarely treated to spectacular weather events so personally I would find heavy snow a joy to behold and so will my children. No harm will come to us because we will exercise caution and prepare. There's nothing weird or macabre about looking forward to seeing mother nature flex her muscles now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Feel desperately sad for any homeless people in Ireland or throughout Europe tbh. Hopefully nothing comes of this.

Side point but does anyone know where I could donate a few jackets and blankets? I have a few bits I was going to recycle but someone might need them this week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No weather warnings on met.ie now, presume that just means they are updating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am on my coffee break in work and the talk around the table is so annoying - “yeah it’s meant to be mainly the east” “id say it won’t be that bad at all” “temperatures are rising on Saturday” “meant to rain Friday night anyway” - GRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

1bryan wrote: »
    what? that's a very immature comment and doesn't, at all, even remotely counter what I said.

IMO it perfectly answers the very immature post you wrote but that's neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1bryan wrote: »
    what? that's a very immature comment and doesn't, at all, even remotely counter what I said.

Immature of you to for some reason try to guilt trip somebody for enjoying weather that somebody may potentially die in

The only reason you care is because your life will be personally inconvenienced. Im sure you don't post in threads about hot weather telling people who are excited to go to the beach to feel guilt about the elderly people who will die of sun stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

wakka12 wrote: »
    Immature of you to for some reason try to guilt trip somebody for enjoying weather that somebody may potentially die in

The only reason you care is because your life will be personally inconvenienced. Im sure you don't post in threads about hot weather telling people who are excited to go to the beach to feel guilt about the elderly people who will die of sun stroke

wow, that's me told

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Silent follower on these threads but just wanted to say thanks to those who put time and effort into gathering the data and publishing it up on these threads. Its much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

What's the likelihood of air travel disruption out of cork airport on Thursday morning. Have a very early flight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

snaps wrote: »
    This morning here in southern Poland was a record breaking morning for late Feb. -26.2c officially recorded.

I have to laugh at the media hype in the UK. It's embarrassing.....

You do realise that it's the same weather system effecting them and causing record breaking low temps that is being expected here? They are far more used to and more prepared for such weather than we are.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ME currently updating warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Silent follower on these threads but just wanted to say thanks to those who put time and effort into gathering the data and publishing it up on these threads. Its much appreciated.

Thanks. Appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

leahyl wrote: »
    I am on my coffee break in work and the talk around the table is so annoying - “yeah it’s meant to be mainly the east” “id say it won’t be that bad at all” “temperatures are rising on Saturday” “meant to rain Friday night anyway” - GRRRRR

Imagine that. People taking an interest in the weather and discussing it amongst themselves. What’s next? An online forum where they can do it from the comfort of their own gaff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- The future is Orange!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PauloMN wrote: »
    No weather warnings on met.ie now, presume that just means they are updating?
    No, I think they've cancelled it. All of those people pointing out the difficulties faced by farmers and homeless people made Met Eireann change their mind and cancel the snow event.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Why do they have to remove the existing one first, it's not like it's a billboard lol!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Scattered snow showers later Tuesday and Tueday night will lead to accumulations of 4 to 6 cm by Wednesday morning. Widespread frost and icy conditions also.
    Updates to follow. Please see Weather Advisory.

Issued:Monday 26 February 2018 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 27 February 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 28 February 2018 11:00

Keeping it yellow for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

andrew wrote: »
    Not the UK, London. London does seem to get that much snow compared to the rest of the UK (or even Dublin). And certainly all of the forecasts for this event have Dublin getting much more snow than London.

(incidentally, does anyone know of a similar forum to this one, but with more discussion about conditions in the (southern) UK?)

youll find local uk forums on netweather.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

listermint wrote: »
    Not being funny but there is a full up to date forecast at the start of this thread.

Not sure what the media has to do with that. Please read that and make your own determinations no one can really decide what travel is right for you tbf.

Fair enough. Emailed them to see if we can defer it to next week. Will try to sit it out from the comfort of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It was a beautiful morning here in Kildare and in the last hour the cloud has set in. It's probably excitement but I think you can feel something is about to happen. I've rarely seen it go from bright and open blue skies to dull and cloudy so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

They appear to have changed their criteria for these warnings, that would normally have been higher than a yellow.

Edit : nope someone just forgot to change the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

leahyl wrote: »

Thats all mostly true though..? Or at at least based on current models seems all pretty likely

• Advertisement

Keeping it yellow for now

Well now its ORANGE
    STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Scattered snow showers later Tuesday and Tueday night will lead to accumulations of 4 to 6 cm by Wednesday morning. Widespread frost and icy conditions also.
    Updates to follow. Please see Weather Advisory.

Issued:Monday 26 February 2018 11:24
    Valid:Tuesday 27 February 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 28 February 2018 11:00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement