Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,297 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

1bryan wrote: »
    but what about if people die? Is that worth your couple of days off work?

Unless Calibos is actually going around killing people during red weather warnings I don't see the point of this question. As a wise man in the Dáil once said "God conthrols da wedur", the snow is coming now regardless of the consequences so taking some enjoyment from it is not going to change one thing. I hope no one gets hurt and I hope my electricity doesn't go and my water pipes don't bust but that doesn't mean I have to stop liking snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Keeping it yellow for now

And... Gone to orange!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

endacl wrote: »
    Imagine that. People taking an interest in the weather and discussing it amongst themselves. What’s next? An online forum where they can do it from the comfort of their own gaff?

You obv missed my point completely or else are just trying to be “funny” for likes

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Fir me there is nothing at all wrong with being fascinated and excited by natural phenomenon. Everyone on here is aware of the gravity of the situation for the homeless and farmers in particular. Nobody wants anyone to die. No one wants anyone to have to face hardship but now that the bad weather is on its way and it's unusual in nature compared to what we are used to people are going to get excited and thats ok. We can both feel empathy for those who face hardship and excitement at how it will affect us. No one would swap a snow day for someones life. Ì am certain of that. However we are powerless to stop whatever is going to happen. All we can do is prepare and if your innerchild is delighted at the prospect of a snow day then enjoy every minute of it happens to materialise. If it wasnt for humanity's excitement and inquisitive nature we would still be in caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Is it just me or are people getting very snappy on here, maybe its just the way im reading it.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

seamus wrote: »
    No, I think they've cancelled it. All of those people pointing out the difficulties faced by farmers

Delighted my contribution was met with an immediate response. You can say a lot of things about ME, but inaction is not one of them.

I do hope they leave me with my one day or two though as I already identified sledging spots with the sled I bought in 2010 for where to go with the kids.

FWIW, I did say I'm conflicted, I like the snow, but don't like to see my farming neighbours in difficulty, completely normal and human response. It's not like I told others they're monsters because they're looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Orange warning for the east now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

1bryan wrote: »
    but what about if people die? Is that worth your couple of days off work?

Is your Sun Tan worth the deaths of elderly from Heatstroke and road accidents on a Bank Holiday weekend in the middle of a Summer Heatwave? Does it stop you wishing for a repeat of Summer 1995 or 2013??

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Unless Calibos is actually going around killing people during red weather warnings I don't see the point of this question. As a wise man in the Dáil once said "God conthrols da wedur", the snow is coming now regardless of the consequences so taking some enjoyment from it is not going to change one thing. I hope no one gets hurt and I hope my electricity doesn't go and my water pipes don't bust but that doesn't mean I have to stop liking snow.

I don't disagree. I'm just unhappy at his/her willingness to accept that an opposing viewpoint exists, and to dismiss it so whimsically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

dave1982 wrote: »
    Army called in rome to clear snow

You're kidding, is it that bad over there? I'm due to go on Wednesday :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looks like we finally have a lot of serious people joining us. In the days I have been keeping an eye on this thread , I never imagined that I would be so grateful that Johnny come late posters could remind me that I shouldn’t enjoy this unique weather event as it means I am in some way responsible or doing something wrong.

I and many here have been trying to keep friends and family in the loop for days. Many of us have been laughed out of rooms. I wasn’t saying “panic” I was only saying “be aware that it might get bad and keep an eye on weather as it gets closer”

I’m a complete novice and wouldn’t know much about the graphs or technical side of things but I enjoy coming here when things are getting hairy. If anything it’s nice to not have people laugh at you when you want to discuss potential weather.

Early on in these threads you have the “bet it just gets a bit wet” dismissive posters. Then arrives the serious “you guys shouldn’t be so happy, this is serious!”. It’s like arriving at the very end of a funeral when everybody’s all cried out and want to just Take comfort from family(maybe laugh a bit) and you start saying “why are people having fun, this is a funeral!”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Status orange

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Calibos wrote: »
    Is your Sun Tan worth the deaths of elderly from Heatstroke and road accidents on a Bank Holiday weekend in the middle of a Summer Heatwave?
    Thanks, you've made my point for me. Extreme weather is extreme weather. Nothing specifically to do with snow. The same applies for extreme heat, hurricanes, whatever extremes may befall us.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

silverharp wrote: »
    my feet are cold today, last time that happened was 2010....da da dah :pac:
    Your feet are cold? My town halls are in my armpits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Well now its ORANGE

Seems strange that Wexford is not included or at least be under a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Drumpot wrote: »
    Looks like we finally have a lot of serious people joining us. In the days I have been keeping an eye on this thread , I never imagined that I would be so grateful that Johnny come late posters could remind me that I shouldn’t enjoy this unique weather event as it means I am in some way responsible.

I and many here have been trying to keep friends and family in the loop for days. Many of us have been laughed out of rooms. I wasn’t saying “panic” I was only saying “be aware that it might get bad and keep an eye on weather as it gets closer”

I’m a complete novice and wouldn’t know much about the graphs or technical side of things but I enjoy coming here when things are getting hairy. If anything it’s nice to not have people laugh at you when you want to discuss potential weather.

Early on in these threads you have the “bet it just gets a bit wet” dismissive posters. Then arrives the serious “you guys shouldn’t be so happy, this is serious!”. It’s like arriving at the very end of a funeral when everybody’s all cried out and want to just Take comfort from family(maybe laugh a bit) and you start saying “why are people having fun, this is a funeral!”.

I couldn't agree with this anymore. I have been following and very occasionally posting in it since last week and it has been very informative. I have all my extra supplies got in and oil being delivered today. I have informed all my family and friends who would listen to do the same. The knowledgeable posters in this thread have been brilliant and deserve huge credit for putting their time and effort into keeping those of us less knowledgeable in the loop.

And now because rte etc have started reporting it we get a bunch of fools coming in here trying to derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    You're kidding, is it that bad over there? I'm due to go on Wednesday :(
    My sister in law was due to fly out today from Rome,not happening for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

quartz1 wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of air travel disruption out of cork airport on Thursday morning. Have a very early flight out.

IMO its hard to say yet , possible snow showers in Cork wednesday into wed night so hard to say impact of those , it is was me i would prob be a bit more worried about actually getting to the airport. It might also depend if/when flight is incoming from as that airport could be experencing problems if UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meant to have the car in the garage on Wednesday ahead of the NCT on Friday. Guessing thats not happening now :/

Still, snow! Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It wouldn't be advisable for Met.ie to issue a red warning today, Monday, when red warning conditions are not likely to occur until Thursday evening, 78 hours out at least. With that length of time involved there is no way of being certain or even near certain of the boundaries of this thing. Even now we are at least 24 hours from the first meaningful snow showers. I would expect Orange by lunch tomorrow. Red, if warranted by lunch time wednesday.

There seems a tendency, understandable a few days ago, but less so now, for some people in this thread to portray themselves as being in on some big secret, that the wider public is ignorant to. All day the met people are saying red warnings may be issued. Every single news channel and outlet has this as the main story. Literally everyone in the country is talking about it. It is not going below the radar at all.

I think this fine forum will do itself an injustice if it on the majority it continues to pit itself against the met.ie and the perceived ignorance of the general public, on the hope that the most cataclysmic forecast come through. I mean right from the OP of this thread, the animated GIF showing is the ICON, what informed that decision by the poster as the most instructive graphic to have in place? Reality or hopecasting. And I don't want to go back to the bizarre spread of potential snow depths which are contrary to all model output, 10cm, 25cm 50cm+

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Keeping it yellow for now

No it has changed to orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Just at the start now with some very light flurries every now and again. Am liking the look of the rest of the week, especially Wednesday 01:00 to Wednesday afternoon. Perfect conditions for snow showers, winds not too strong. Should definitely get substantial accumulations.

Just wanted to post this video of Rome this morning, fully grown postmen having the craic :D. Remember, when it snows in Rome it has to be a really major cold spell euro wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbq70pyFqyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9w15JXwMfk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Alright folks, enough of the smart arse bickering.

Keep it civil, don't kill the thread please!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Drumpot wrote: »
    I never imagined that I would be so grateful that Johnny come late posters could remind me that I shouldn’t enjoy this unique weather event as it means I am in some way responsible or doing something wrong.....
    “you guys shouldn’t be so happy, this is serious!”.

Did somebody actually say that? Really, someone said you shouldn't enjoy this? I think you'll find that that never actually happened.

And apologies for not being part of the clique that posted from the beginning, had I realised I would have built up my post count so I'd be one of the cools kids asking if my exact location would get snow, what depth, and would the local shop have bread by Friday.
    And now because rte etc have started reporting it we get a bunch of fools coming in here trying to derail the thread.

C'mon, don't be such a child. 1 poster said it wasn't all fun and games, I said I was conflicted due to neighgbours but liked the snow, and that's it. But people are now claiming we "fools" only came here because we only found out about it on RTE and are here to derail the thread. You need to grow up.

So it's Orange for the East coast only. Was hoping to see some form of warning for the rest of the country just so that people would start to appreciate that this is more than just a little cold. The way people in work are going on, until people are dying in the street they won't pay heed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Could. You. Imagine!

DW9ReNbXcAEiuUD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

Might I suggest that if people want to discuss the moral implications of enjoying extreme weather, that anyone who's deeply concerned for us snowlover's mortal souls can start a separate thread on the subject?

This is supposed to be somewhere to watch, discuss and learn about a weather-related event, I'm getting fed up with scrolling through all the bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yellow warning out now as well.
    STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Kilkenny, Longford, Wexford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Scattered snow showers later Tuesday and Tuesday night will lead to accumulations of up to 3 cm in some parts by Wednesday morning. Widespread frost and icy conditions also.
    Updates to follow. Please see Weather Advisory.

Issued:Monday 26 February 2018 11:00
    Valid:Tuesday 27 February 2018 18:00 to Wednesday 28 February 2018 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

HighLine wrote: »
    Seems strange that Wexford is not included or at least be under a yellow.

It is in the yellow warning, disappointed its not in the orange :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I couldn't agree with this anymore. I have been following and very occasionally posting in it since last week and it has been very informative. I have all my extra supplies got in and oil being delivered today. I have informed all my family and friends who would listen to do the same. The knowledgeable posters in this thread have been brilliant and deserve huge credit for putting their time and effort into keeping those of us less knowledgeable in the loop.

Since 2010, this is my first stop for info on weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement