Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

So it's Orange for the East coast only. Was hoping to see some form of warning for the rest of the country just so that people would start to appreciate that this is more than just a little cold. The way people in work are going on, until people are dying in the street they won't pay heed.

But you are in Galway, what is there to pay heed to? I'm not being adversarial for the sake of it, I just wonder what it is there needs heed paid to in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

joes girls wrote: »
    It is in the yellow warning, disappointed its not in the orange :(

Yeah just saw the update where it was given a yellow. Again.. surprised it's not included in the orange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Check out that streamer train in the English channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

But you are in Galway, what is there to pay heed to? I'm not being adversarial for the sake of it, I just wonder what it is there needs heed paid to in Galway?

Low temperature warning, one was issued nationwide for last night, I assume similar will be issued later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Light rain drizzle cobh

• Advertisement

The simple fact that Galway is going to see temperatures drop massively over the next couple of days. We may not see torrents of snow but we will still see issues arising from the low temperatures, the kind of low in which people freeze to death on the streets. It's better that people are made aware of the possibility if it means that they check in on older neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Some great pics on Twitter of the snow in Rome

That reminds me I must charge up the Gopro for some Timelapse vids

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The simple fact that Galway is going to see temperatures drop massively over the next couple of days. We may not see torrents of snow but we will still see issues arising from the low temperatures, the kind of low in which people freeze to death on the streets. It's better that people are made aware of the possibility if it means that they check in on older neighbours.

OK fair enough, I am sure something will be issued later on if temps are forecast to drop low enough to warrant it.

Could Cork still be ugraded to Orange for Wed/Thur?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

DominoDub wrote: »
    Some great pics on Twitter of the snow in Rome

That reminds me I must charge up the Gopro for some Timelapse vids

I have the drone fully charged and ready to go. Hoping to get some good shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

HighLine wrote: »
    Seems strange that Wexford is not included or at least be under a yellow.

They still think that in the Sunny South East it's 25c and we are all drinking cocktails.

Sky's are steel grey here but for a change the clouds aren't rolling in from the south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    You're kidding, is it that bad over there? I'm due to go on Wednesday :(

Theres a great slideshow on the dailyexpress, some pretty images of the famous sites with snow.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/924058/Snow-Rome-Italy-snow-Vatican-city-pictures

It doesn't actually look too bad comparatively, probably just that the local authorities aren't used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Snowing here in Sandymount. Light flurries. looks harmless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

I live on high ground in Wexford near the Wicklow border, can I be orange too? ;).

Seriously though I think Wexford is a bit of a battleground for the warnings. I think Gorey will be orange but the likes of Wexford Town/New Ross could be yellow and they won out for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have the drone fully charged and ready to go. Hoping to get some good shots

I was thinking that this morning, it'll be the first snow with widespread drone ownership, should be some epic footage. Get your personalised crimbo cards shot this week lads, a nice overhead of your 3-bed semi under a drift to send to 'Merica!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Could. You. Imagine!

DW9ReNbXcAEiuUD.jpg

I got disappointed....... YEAH UNTIL I noticed they changed the scale from last nights cm to inches".... I'm back on track now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭snowgal

Im looking forward to seeing some pretty flakes in the coming days. By the sounds of things The Emergency meeting-NECG are well prepared and ready for this. We've enough snow ploughs and salt to keep the country moving. I think its going to be good for both sides, lots of snow for snowbunnies like me! but also enough supplies for the country to keep moving. A win win??

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gluppers

snaps wrote: »
    This morning here in southern Poland was a record breaking morning for late Feb. -26.2c officially recorded.

I have to laugh at the media hype in the UK. It's embarrassing.....

Did you get snow though?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Lord i cant stop looking out the window already, i will have a repetitive strain injury at this rate of going:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Moderate sleet starting to fall here in Grand Canal, Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭adam240610

Bit of sleet starting in UCD now, bitterly cold compared to two hours ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Showers pepping up a bit now off Louth coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

snaps wrote: »
    This morning here in southern Poland was a record breaking morning for late Feb. -26.2c officially recorded.

I have to laugh at the media hype in the UK. It's embarrassing.....

I get what you're saying but snow and very cold conditions are pretty common place in Poland. The UK & Ireland, not as much. But yeah, the media lap it up. It sells papers and gets clicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joad

This thread is fascinating! I hope that this isn't an annoying question, but my wife has till 4pm today to make a call on whether to go ahead with a weekly activity that takes place every Tuesday in Naas, and involves over fifty 60-90 year old people making their way to Naas town centre.

It takes place from 11-1pm, so travel to and from would take place from 10am to 2pm for most. She understands that rain/sleet is expected later in the afternoon for our region, but due to increased fall risk for the demographic, she is concerned about ice.

Bottom line is, if she goes ahead most will still come as they hate to miss it, so she feels a weight of responsibility to make a call.

TL;DR: Will conditions be icy in Naas between 10am and 2pm tomorrow, Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Drumpot wrote: »
    Early on in these threads you have the “bet it just gets a bit wet” dismissive posters.

Well in as far as snow on east coast goes, they've all been correct on every occasion for the last 7 years..

And that's despite some seriously hyped events that ended up being just a bit wet..

People are always going to be skeptical, it's healthy.. I stopped looking at these threads altogether cause as a snow lover i had a pain in me hoop having my dreams dashed over and over again..

That's why i asked earlier on this thread if there was any reason that this was different.. I got a reaction.. That's ok. People get excited..

Some of this stuff in this thread is nuts with the amount of prepping people do. It's simple enough.. Don't go out and if you do, don't drive up any mountains. Check on any elderly neighbours, make sure they have all they need.

If you live up a mountain you already know what to do.

I'm 44 and now that this is a certainty i'm like an excited kid for the next few days..

Bring on those streamers..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really light, almost imperceptible stuff falling in D16. Almost more like a light snow-mist. The flakes hit the ground and just vanish, not even a drop of water left behind.
    Some of this stuff in this thread is nuts with the amount of prepping people do.
    I guess it depends on your situation. In 2010 we ended up walking 2km through the snow to the nearest supermarket (along with half the neighbours) because the local Spar had basically sold out of most stuff.

When you don't live up a mountain, but you're also not within spitting distance of shops or other amenities, then this is a twice-a-decade event and you'll inevitably need to do some prepping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

when are people leaving for New your public library? Not looking forward to it, going to be a hard 3 hour walk from Dublin! Stay safe all

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Guys from reading as much as i can on it seems we might escape the snow in connacht (im in sligo). What do ye reckon as i do not want to see snow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

when are people starting to leaving for New york public library? Not looking forward to it, going to be a hard 3 hour walk from Dublin! Stay safe all

In retrospect, that was a poor choice! They should have stayed in the rich kids penthouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

After clouding over and a flurry or two here in Dun Laoghaire, in the middle of the harbour its 2.9C, DP -4C (!!) and just 61% humidity, the air is the dryest Ive ever noticed in Ireland, I nipped out for a coffee and all the spit in my mouth evaporated, feels very weird.

Incidentally, if there isn't 25.7 inches of snow precisely on the top of the Wicklow mountains, who do I complain to?! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement