Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

Some light graupel here in Dundalk at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yay I'm in Virginia but we never get anything when the warning is for Cavan but do very well whenever Meath is mentioned. So here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Orange warning now - must have been a typo

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Bit of Graupel here in Rathmines....

Larbre34 wrote: »
    After clouding over and a flurry or two here in Dun Laoghaire, in the middle of the harbour its 2.9C, DP -4C (!!) and just 61% humidity, the air is the dryest Ive ever noticed in Ireland, I nipped out for a coffee and all the spit in my mouth evaporated, feels very weird.

Incidentally, if there isn't 25.7 inches of snow precisely on the top of the Wicklow mountains, who do I complain to?! ;)

Looking good..............

pointrosee_uk_xgw6.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This is a great thread, thanks for contributing people.

Looking at the models in the technical thread thread and the predictions for snowfall I'm wondering are we likely to be on lockdown ala Storm Ophelia later this week?

Also, the temperature will be dropping pretty low in Dublin at the weekend, any idea of the likelihood of flights being cancelled out of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

1bryan wrote: »
    but what about if people die? Is that worth your couple of days off work?

The weather whatever that will be is going to happen. Liking it or not liking is in material. Wishing for and not for snow doesn't make the event occur. If more people go to work in the case of blizzard conditions, then the risk of death and or serious injury also increases.

People are not to blame for the weather, but they are to blame for their actions in the face of the information provided to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Adelynn Spicy Flower

Swanner wrote: »
    Well in as far as snow on east coast goes, they've all been correct on every occasion for the last 7 years..

Has there been a forecast like this in the past 7 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Snowing in little island in cork as i speak..
    Small little flurries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Salthill Galway it's 5℃ 26/02/18IMAG3065_zpsyhn7qopd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

m17 wrote: »
    Salthill Galway it's 5℃ 26/02/18

I'm surprised the sea isn't thronged, seems to be the Galway reaction to all warnings! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I was thinking that this morning, it'll be the first snow with widespread drone ownership, should be some epic footage. Get your personalised crimbo cards shot this week lads, a nice overhead of your 3-bed semi under a drift to send to 'Merica!

More like a waft of lost drones as people very eager to get some snow shots launch in 30+mph winds and bye bye drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

if this isnt like "the day after tommorow" with all the hype. I will be one very dissappointed bunny.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just back from the Seafront in Bray; small occasional flurries of graupel and the wind is bitterly cold - it was giving me a headache when I was walking into it, and that was with a scarf wrapped around my head. Direction looks to be a little bit east of south-easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

1bryan wrote: »
    agreed. It'd be a different story if it was dec/jan when you'd half expect it. Coming at this time of year is a disaster though, and the mind boggles that people can be happy about it. If a red weather alert is issued by ME, there's every chance some people may lose their lives. I can't fathom how anyone can be happy that such a situation can exist.

But, each to their own I suppose. Wanting it or not wanting it is not going to have any influence on what happens. We can only hope that whatever transpires, ends quickly.

For those people with farms, or who are elderly, or who struggle to pay heating bills, I hope the damage caused is minimal.

Stay safe everyone.

Ah come on, people have had days to prepare for this. It's not like an Earthquake. So people will experience some disruption/inconvenience, but that's Mother Nature, the Great Equaliser.
    People die during heatwaves too if they get dehydrated and that's a tragedy. It doesn't mean that nobody should celebrate the hot weather and spend days trying to cool off at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

This chart shows in excess of 18 inches of snow on the ground for Kildare by Friday!

DW9TSytX4AAPIye.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Updated weather warnings from Met Eireann

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is there a yellow snow warning?

Never eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

leahyl wrote: »
    What time can we expect this Calibos? I love this thread - everytime I see an update to this thread by yourself or any of the other resident experts, I just know it's usually "good" news :D

I put this list together based on replies here. These are the roll out times, not the start of the runs

300am ICON
    330am GFS
    350am UKMO
    530am Euro 4
    6am ECM
    930am GFS
    1130AM Euro 4
    1500 ICON
    1530 GFS
    1550 UKMO
    1740 Euro 4
    1800 ECM
    2130 GFS
    2330 Euro 4
    What's the pub run that I've seen mentioned a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I must be clinically insane but I'm looking forward to my lunchtime run down the canal by Ashtown and Castleknock shortly! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

<snip>

Mod Note: Do not post images which may not be suitable for all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Updated this thread to an Orange warning in line with Met Eireann.

from Met Eireann:

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Louth, Wicklow and Meath
    Scattered snow showers later Tuesday and Tuesday night will lead to accumulations of 4 to 6 cm by Wednesday morning. Widespread frost and icy conditions also.
    Updates to follow. Please see Weather Advisory.

Issued:Monday 26 February 2018 11:46
    Valid:Tuesday 27 February 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 28 February 2018 11:00

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Go easy on the nsfw images; I have a 26 inch widescreen here ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graupel falling in D20

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

TIL the word Graupel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The12thMan wrote: »
    This chart shows in excess of 18 inches of snow on the ground for Kildare by Friday!

DW9TSytX4AAPIye.jpg

What site is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

colm18 wrote: »
    Go easy on the nsfw images; I have a 26 inch widescreen here ;-)
    ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I just stuck on Sky News and caught bit of their report. Daytime temps to feel like -10c due to wind-chill.
    The back of my house pretty much faces West and is sheltered from the breeze today,I was doing a bit of tidying up of my firewood stash and it didn't feel too cold.
    Went out the front of the house and it's a different story.The wind and cold would skin you
    To cap it all,the missus passed a fella out walking towards town wearing just jeans and a football shirt,the lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My old man in Glasthule just sent me a message saying the first snow flurry just happened there, bodes well!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Brightening up now in the skies over Dublin bay and the wind has died off quite a bit.

Patience, patience...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement