Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Spitting snow in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

A few very small flakes of snow falling as I waited for the Luas at Windy Arbour (Dublin 14) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Better do some work so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I just stuck on Sky News and caught bit of their report. Daytime temps to feel like -10c due to wind-chill.
    The back of my house pretty much faces West and is sheltered from the breeze today,I was doing a bit of tidying up of my firewood stash and it didn't feel too cold.
    Went out the front of the house and it's a different story.The wind and cold would skin you
    To cap it all,the missus passed a fella out walking towards town wearing just jeans and a football shirt,the lunatic.

For some people there are only 2 types of weather, is it fine or not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Lovely blue skies here in North Tipperary this morning but the cloud has thickened so waiting to see the first flurries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Some light graupel here in Dundalk at the moment.

graupel
    ˈɡraʊp(ə)l/
    noun
    small particles of snow with a fragile crust of ice; soft hail.

new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Friday is shaping up to be a potential red warning event.

Will see if the forecast requires updating later. At the moment not much has changed.

A few flurries here so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will see if the forecast requires updating later. At the moment not much has changed.

Where are you?

Will Dublin get something tomorrow night, just trying to plan things for Wednesday around work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

In East Leinster Wednesday looks orange to me, but locally could definitely be a red. Late Thursday and early Friday looks red at this stage but this can still change.

Looks like this cold spell will really start biting tomorrow midnight. Can't wait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've just had snow fall on my literally the minute I left apartment in Santry.,

Tis very light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,087 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Yikes:eek:

Looking ominous here in D4. .with flurries but am heading out for a swim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Just wondering...

Are we all hoping that the snow due on Tuesday evening is going to arrive on Monday afternoon instead ?

Or are we all in for a very looong wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heat1981

Small flakes of snow in south cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

The12thMan wrote: »
    This chart shows in excess of 18 inches of snow on the ground for Kildare by Friday!

DW9TSytX4AAPIye.jpg

Yeee haaawww. Bring it on....

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Guys do ye think we will get any in sligo this week? Hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FAbPants

Trying to spit what looks like light cigarette ash here in Clondalkin at the moment. Almost non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

Well to all the people out there saying, "it's just another warning" "it won't be as bad as they say" we never get much snow" etc. Have a look at what is happening so far - https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/rare-snowfall-blankets-rome-as-arctic-blast-sweeps-across-europe-829910.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Sounds good Kermit.

Do you think the red warning on Friday will be national or localised?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

You know it's cold when you're trying to put half a litre of oil into the car engine, and it takes nearly 20 minutes because the oil is so thick and cold it won't even flow down from the rocker cover to the sump, and it ends up being quicker to put a small funnel in the dip stick tube and pour it in that way!

Looking at the way the shower streamers are getting across the UK, I have to admit I've been surprised to see how far they are getting this early in the event, I'm also just seeing on Sky news that the UK MO have significantly upgraded their warnings, there are now yellow alerts for much more of the country, and it's been upgraded to also now include Wales, and there are a number of additional areas under Amber (Orange) alert that were previously not under warning, or yellow, so this is clearly still very much an evolving scenario, and (UK wise at least) there's no downgrades on what's coming our way.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Guys do ye think we will get any in sligo this week? Hope not

Its all very vague re the NW isnt it?
    I genuinely dont know what to expect or plan for.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DW9imGQXkAAPXYb.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Some small flakes in Dublin there now. Flurries alri....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Supercell wrote: »
    My old man in Glasthule just sent me a message saying the first snow flurry just happened there, bodes well!

No sign of any flurries here at all yet. Must be mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

arrrrrgghhhh its happening. light snow falling in cork city northside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You know it's cold when you're trying to put half a litre of oil into the car engine, and it takes nearly 20 minutes because the oil is so thick and cold it won't even flow down from the rocker cover to the sump, and it ends up being quicker to put a small funnel in the dip stick tube and pour it in that way!

Looking at the way the shower streamers are getting across the UK, I have to admit I've been surprised to see how far they are getting this early in the event, I'm also just seeing on Sky news that the UK MO have significantly upgraded their warnings, there are now yellow alerts for much more of the country, and it's been upgraded to also now include Wales, and there are a number of additional areas under Amber (Orange) alert that were previously not under warning, or yellow, so this is clearly still very much an evolving scenario, and (UK wise at least) there's no downgrades on what's coming our way.

Strange how Sky news said that it'd be fine and bright for Ireland. It started to cloud over here in Wexford at about 9am and it's wall to wall grey here now.They are right about the timing of the approaching cold,if we think it's cold now,wait until tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

A little graupel here in maynooth. So far the forecast is going to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Interesting stuff, hadn't been paying proper attention to the weather. Time to get the firewood in and stock up on the essentials. Thanks guys.

442932.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Plenty of snow flakes in around the city today. And in weather news it's a bit chilly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement