Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No mention of any potential rain or thaw on Friday from met. How are the models holding up? Any movement on that low?

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Plenty of snow flakes in around the city today. And in weather news it's a bit chilly.

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Speak Now wrote: »
    2130 GFS

What does the term "pub run" actually mean? Where did it derive from?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where are you?

Will Dublin get something tomorrow night, just trying to plan things for Wednesday around work
    Met Eireann are warning up to 6cm falling Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. They're usually a bit on the conservative side, but nevertheless that's firmly in the "traffic disruption" range.
    If you can work from home, I'd do that, or the next best thing if you can leave after 9am to make your way in when things are brighter and a little less crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    No mention of any potential rain or thaw on Friday from met. How are the models holding up? Any movement on that low?

it's too early for them to say what is going to happen Friday. Friday probably won't be nailed till about Wednesday or even Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a few microscopic bits of frozen water by the sea D4 , passed now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Doyler99 wrote: »

It's the time. 21.30.....The pub run.

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's too early for them to say what is going to happen Friday. Friday probably won't be nailed till about Wednesday or even Thursday.

Yeah, looks like it'll be down to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Small snow grains/graupel blowing around D14 for last while, will be interesting to see if the showers pep up at all this evening. I suspect we might have to wait for pressure to drop off a bit more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Tv3 is all about the weather. Live from the emergency meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Must pick up some bottles of wine for a potential snow day.
    We got 10 seconds worth of hail here on the Cork coast.
    Boo!

Still, I get the impression tue/wed snowfall potential has been ramped up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Emergency co ordination Conference live on tv3.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Small snow grains/graupel blowing around D14 for last while, will be interesting to see if the showers pep up at all this evening. I suspect we might have to wait for pressure to drop off a bit more though.

Little bit of activity in the Irish sea on the very latest (12:30) image. Other bits of very light looking precipitation heading into Louth.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Still, I get the impression tue/wed snowfall potential has been ramped up a bit?
    hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Flurries of snow grains/very light snow flakes, on and off, in Dublin 16, since around 10am. 1.9c DP -3.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Just so people are aware of what the weather warnings mean. This is from winterready.ie

The weather warnings are in 3 categories ...
    Yellow Weather Alert - Be Aware
    The concept behind YELLOW level weather alerts is to notify those who are at risk because of their location and/or activity, and to allow them to take preventative action. It is implicit that YELLOW level weather alerts are for weather conditions that do not pose an immediate threat to the general population, but only to those exposed to risk by nature of their location and/or activity.

Orange Weather Warning - Be Prepared
    This category of ORANGE level weather warnings is for weather conditions which have the capacity to impact significantly on people in the affected areas. The issue of an Orange level weather warning implies that all recipients in the affected areas should prepare themselves in an appropriate way for the anticipated conditions

Red Severe Weather Warning - Take Action
    The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a compara-tively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect them-selves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily, by staying indoors or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Little bit of activity in the Irish sea on the very latest (12:30) image. Other bits of very light looking precipitation heading into Louth.

Yep, raintoday have a few showers building in the Irish Sea Just NW of Manchester too.

They are saying at the emergency meeting that it may be worse than 2010 .............. but we all know that thanks to everyone on here:P
    Evelyn Cusack is lined up to come on. I hope we haven't lost Joanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

"hear that randy? The **** winds are coming"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Evelyn on RTEnews now live

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gluppers

joes girls wrote: »
    They are saying at the emergency meeting that it may be worse than 2010 .............. but we all know that thanks to everyone on here:P

Has the 'Eagle' been put out to stud?

She said on her Twitter that she has today off work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Currently falling as sleety rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

"Deputy Head of Forecasting at Met Éireann Evelyn Cusack said she expects a red weather alert to be issued later this week.

She said the high danger area "countrywide" will be on Thursday evening through to Friday morning when "dynamic snow" is expected."

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Some numerical models are firming up on massive snowfall totals by mid day Friday, my location in West Wicklow seems to be one of the prime spots and we could be looking at anything between 20-50cm, for illustration see attached picture from few weeks ago where a village near my home town in Slovakia received 40cm, if I wake up to a scenery like that on Friday then no way I am attempting to drive to work :)

1773a4ddc535ef2f1d970925ace1d4811e4e25d7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

They are saying at the emergency meeting that it may be worse even better than 2010 ....

Fixed that for ya Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How long is this meant to last, already had an email from school they expect to be closed Thursday because of the beast from the east (thank you Irish independent for not hyping this event)
    I thought this weather was going to last for a week or two. Are they jumping the gun closing on the first day of snow?

Snowmaker wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya Joe!

Much better way of saying it:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Doyler99 wrote: »

Often comes up with more crazy solutions than other runs in FI so its assumed it's been in the pub and drunk :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement