Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally Posted by Calibos

Is your Sun Tan worth the deaths of elderly from Heatstroke and road accidents on a Bank Holiday weekend in the middle of a Summer Heatwave

1bryan wrote: »
    Thanks, you've made my point for me. Extreme weather is extreme weather. Nothing specifically to do with snow. The same applies for extreme heat, hurricanes, whatever extremes may befall us.

Understood. I expect to see you posting in the next Summer Heatwave thread castigating anyone with the temerity to be looking forwards to some Sun and heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

How long is this meant to last, already had an email from school they expect to be closed Thursday because of the beast from the east (thank you Irish independent for not hyping this event)
    I thought this weather was going to last for a week or two. Are they jumping the gun closing on the first day of snow?

Actually, the first day will be the worst, fresh snow, no clearing or salting done.
    By Monday it will all be gone or at least the roads will be sorted and safer travel possible. Any heating problems due to the freeze should be sorted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Flurries of snow grains/very light snow flakes, on and off, in Dublin 16, since around 10am. 1.9c DP -3.2c atm.

Seeing some of the same here in east Cavan, above 210 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

100% cloudy - Onshore breeze @ just over 1km from the coast and there are flakes falling.

That bodes well for later in the week if that event pans out to be onshore at my location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Snow flurries here near Arklow
    2.2c
    Dp is -3.1c

DAA spokesperson at the emergency coordination committee has just said Dublin airport has over 100 snow clearing vehicles ready for snow clearance
    That’s actually impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Actually, the first day will be the worst, fresh snow, no clearing or salting done.
    By Monday it will all be gone or at least the roads will be sorted and safer travel possible. Any heating problems due to the freeze should be sorted too.

I thought the roads will be salted in preparation.

Just annoying if it goes to a red warning and schools shut even though roads should be ok. No reason for it. The UK have yellow warning and we're about to go full retard with a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I want to seriously thank everyone for their input and knowledge into this and all the weather threads on boards, wether its snow, scorching summers, or storms, etc. We all appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and in a lot of cases, your hobby with us and keeping us informed.
    I like snow, i love watching it fall and love seeing everywhere covered with it. However, I’m apprehensive about Thurs/Fri as I have to go from Galway to Mayo, and can’t put it off. However, I’ll deal with that when the time comes.

Having said that, I have a question. I’ve searched the thread and got 0 results so here goes.

Will it snow in my back garden?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Must be something going on... :rolleyes: :D

442934.JPG

Most-people-crammed-in-a-Smart-car-Glendale-Cheerleading-Team_tcm25-432009.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just annoying if it goes to a red warning and schools shut even though roads should be ok. No reason for it. The UK have yellow warning and we're about to go full retard with a red.

What are you talking about. UK are also on Orange alert for tomorrow and Wednesday. The reason they're not considering Red Alert is because the system later in the week won't have much of an impact for the majority of UK (yet) but I think Red Alert for Southern England is a possibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Heat1981 wrote: »
    Small flakes of snow in south cork!

South of Cork city or county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Snow flurries here near Arklow
    2.2c
    Dp is -3.1c

DAA spokesperson at the emergency coordination committee has just said Dublin airport has over 100 snow clearing vehicles ready for snow clearance
    That’s actually impressive

Always see them parked up beside the old airport road thinking what a waste....Hopefully they all start up now :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

South of Cork city or county?

Seen the same in Castlemartyr an hour ago and a small bit now in a Cork city. Very small few flakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Train about to get going off Blackpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

tommy2bad wrote: »

In some ways I agree. Too early to close schools nationally but perhaps it will only be in Leinster.
    However I must point out that not all roads are salted. Only national and urban roads I imagine. I have to drive 6 miles before I see salted roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

The weather whatever that will be is going to happen. Liking it or not liking is in material. Wishing for and not for snow doesn't make the event occur. If more people go to work in the case of blizzard conditions, then the risk of death and or serious injury also increases.

People are not to blame for the weather, but they are to blame for their actions in the face of the information provided to them.

again, this is very obtuse. People can prepare as much as they can prepare, but an old person may still have a fall. A farmer will have to tend to lambing and calving needs. And if people can't afford to heat their homes, hearing about this event 5 days in advance (because that's all the official met outlets will extend to), is not going to somehow enable them to magic money out of the air.

Anyway, we're going around in circles here. To simply deny there are negatives and dangers to such a weather event, and to preemptively blame any tragedies that may occur on people and 'their actions', is quite an incredible position to take. I sincerely hope we are not going to be facing news stories telling of fatalities associated with this weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lol at the Rte news, the reporter mentioned snow and all you could hear in the background was a huge cheer. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ok its just happened, RTÉ News has said the words Beast from the East, is this real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Lol at the Rte news, the reporter mentioned snow and all you could hear in the background was a huge cheer. :):)

Morons on that viking ship truck,detest that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Can anyone advise what kind of snow possibility for west limerick , north kerry if any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Morons on that viking ship truck,detest that thing.

You can throw snowballs at them later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whats the deal with the low pressure in the atlantic, if it hits ireland will be as rain or cause a snowmageddon?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Only very light yet, but the latest image from ME radar (13:00) seems to show a bit of streamer organisation in the Irish sea.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Calibos wrote: »
    Understood. I expect to see you posting in the next Summer Heatwave thread castigating anyone with the temerity to be looking forwards to some Sun and heat.

'the temerity to be looking forward to some Sun and heat'

while at the same time refusing to acknowledge the dangers of the same event, and dismissing people who do by accusing them of 'losing their inner child'.

Yes, you will, I'll be here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

silverharp wrote: »
    whats the deal with the low pressure in the atlantic, if it hits ireland will be as rain or cause a snowmageddon?

Right now, snow is seen on nearly all models. A lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow Flurries in Blackrock

again, this is very obtuse. People can prepare as much as they can prepare, but an old person may still have a fall. A farmer will have to tend to lambing and calving needs. And if people can't afford to heat their homes, hearing about this event 5 days in advance (because that's all the official met outlets will extend to), is not going to somehow enable them to magic money out of the air.

Anyway, we're going around in circles here. To simply deny there are negatives and dangers to such a weather event, and to preemptively blame any tragedies that may occur on people and 'their actions', is quite an incredible position to take. I sincerely hope we are not going to be facing news stories telling of fatalities associated with this weather event.

You are arguing against a strawman here. Absolutely no one is denying the negatives or dangers

'the temerity to be looking forward to some Sun and heat'

while at the same time refusing to acknowledge the dangers of the same event, and dismissing people who do by accusing them of 'losing their inner child'.

Yes, you will, I'll be here.

Of course you will ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

A few flakes falling in Rathfarnham now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Anyone care to give the lunchtime audience a summary of where we're at regarding the different models from today till Friday?
    Haven't been able to follow the thread this morning..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Snow in Rome closing most services,
    wild storm creating havoc in the Canaries,
    even golf in Portugal is off the cards
    (storm named 'Emma' by Portuguese Meteorological Service, is on our way for Friday).

Anyone notice the term 'global warming' has been subtlety changed to 'climate change'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement