Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

JUst noticed we are now level 2 :D

Ive promised staff in my building I will "break" the heating so they can all go home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Ive promised staff in my building I will "break" the heating so they can all go home :D

Can I hand in a CV? 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Best leave it on tickover or it really will be broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone notice the term 'global warming' has been subtlety changed to 'climate change'.

It hasn't been subtle, been around a while. Partly due to those who try to argue against it on the basis that we're getting colder weather and therefore global warming is a myth, but while warming and change can be interchanged, they can have distinct meanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lol @ RTE

"Don't panic!..."

..."for 24 hours..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

How's the West looking?

Will Galway escape the snowpocalypse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Anyone care to give the lunchtime audience a summary of where we're at regarding the different models from today till Friday?
    Haven't been able to follow the thread this morning..

Cold and Snow :D

Picking up from late tonight/tomorrow, mainly along the East and South coasts at first but spreading inland as it evolves. Personally I wouldn't be planning on going anywhere along the east coast on Thursday, and maybe a lot further inland, but that's just my personal opinion.

I think 'streamers' will start tomorrow and that should give us a good idea, so far they have moved fairly far inland in north Germany and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Lol at the Rte news, the reporter mentioned snow and all you could hear in the background was a huge cheer. :):)

Morons on that viking ship truck,detest that thing.
    It's nothing but a Scandinavian high....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Snow in Rome closing most services,
    wild storm creating havoc in the Canaries,
    even golf in Portugal is off the cards
    (storm named 'Emma' by Portuguese Meteorological Service, is on our way for Friday).

Anyone notice the term 'global warming' has been subtlety changed to 'climate change'.

But I think it was a sudden warming which has caused this cold blast. Technically global warming but manifesting itself with cold weather. Nature's glorious oxymoron. Weather systems are so finely balanced and complex in cause and effect that it is fascinating to track.

lol @ RTE

"Don't panic!"....

..."for 24 hours..."

That has to be the best quote so far, sounds like something from the Simpsons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

aidoh wrote: »
    How's the West looking?

Will Galway escape the snowpocalypse?

I believe we will get less snow than most other places unfortunately but I expect we will still be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I thought I heard mention of a red warning being likely on RTE just now. Thursday and Friday look likely to be the worst days with "zero visibility."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Im not at home for this , but looking forward to seeing nice weather related pics here and photography forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Snow Flurries in Blackrock

DW9l3iIWsAEJ7NJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Flurries of snow grains/very light snow flakes, on and off, in Dublin 16, since around 10am. 1.9c DP -3.2c atm.

Graupel is the word you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DW9l3iIWsAEJ7NJ.jpg

There's a few of those on this forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

RTE weather making it sound routine enough..

They cut poor Helen off abruptly at the end of the forecast there on RTE, I'm sure she was just about to say "Ramp Ramp Ramp to the boardsies!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Or "Grapple" as Joanna Donnelly tweeted earlier

"@JoannaDonnellyL Grapple now in Portmarnock #freezing"

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

A gorse fire has started in the Dublin mountains. It must have dried out quite a lot up there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

joes girls wrote: »
    RTE have a special programme on after the news, dealing with the cold spell of weather.
    It's really getting ramped up now.

Eh? No they don`t and unless a red warning is issued I very much doubt that they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Also stated Orange warning with Yellow on the screen, so yeah that just about sums that whole accuracy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

joes girls wrote: »
    RTE have a special programme on after the news, dealing with the cold spell of weather.
    It's really getting ramped up now.

Home and Away...?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Working all this week in Cork City. How likely is it that my commute (bus/bicycle/walk) is affected in that I have to leave loads earlier than usual?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

haven't spotted any snow flurries here yet. Very grey and cold tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just had a call from a client. I brought up the snow and they said “sure I don’t believe them anymore”. I discussed the informed information I read on here and why it’s most likely going to be pretty bad and she immediately took it seriously. I also warned an older gentleman I know in the gym this morning..

Friends and family are now taking me and this seriously. I’m a nobody with little knowledge of the technical stuff but I wouldn’t have any relevant or credible information and the confidence to say it if it wasn’t for threads and forums like this, where really informed and patient weather enthusiasts explain complicated stuff for the majority of us.

For that I thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I think DOC is well aware of what graupel is ;) hard to define between the two but graupel is slightly different to snow grains/small flakes- it falls more like hail than normal snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain and sleet mentioned in met eireanns latest forecast before snow hits later.

God how cold does it have to beeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Getting cloudy here in Clare,but the schnoo ain't due until Wednesday...

There's a black wind here too....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Lunchtime bbc one forecast whilst emphasizing the uncertainty now has the Thursday Friday event country wide in Ireland and ALL snow

The east coast shower activity I’d expect from that map on Tuesday night to Thursday to be quite something from Louth down to Wexford town

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement