Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭squarecircles

dacogawa wrote: »
    They cut poor Helen off abruptly at the end of the forecast there on RTE, I'm sure she was just about to say "Ramp Ramp Ramp to the boardsies!"

rips off mic,"alright,thanks guys" reads her glossie's, couldn't give a dam.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graupel is the word you are looking for

Not graupel....

Mainly snow grains and the odd flurries of very small snow flakes.

Graupel is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Continuous flurries/snizzle here from about 10 until 12, stopped since then. Really raw out now though, and very cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

RTE Lunchtime news talking about zero visibility on the roads on Thursday and Friday but unsure whether schools will close ! Seems like a contradiction ! If its due to be that bad I'm sure schools will be closed . They probably don't want to call it just yet !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few very small showers now appearing on radar in the Irish Sea between Anglesey and Dublin. Might give Dublin a little more organised flurries of snow in the next couple of hours.

Really need pressure to drop a little for the more beefy stuff. 1033mb atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

In about 36 hours we'll have 850 hpa temps (1400 metre level) of -14/-15 (4/5 lower than now) accompanied by moderate/sometimes heavy precipitation. This will be epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

That one who gave the report in the news at one was a hopeless case of inaccurate information and layman’s speculation ...she should be sent off to research the joe Duffy programme .

Acosta wrote: »
    RTE weather making it sound routine enough..

Indeed.
    Even on the online detailed info, -7 is the coldest mentioned for Dublin/Kildare iirc.

Accuweather (I know :) ) predict 3 to 6 cm snow on Wed in Kildare, 10cm Dub, a little snow on Fri, then rain and back into the 3/5 deg C for Sat and milder after that.

All going well it will be nothing as bad as predicted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maximum temperature here in South Laois 89mASL has been 2.2c just before the cloud rolled in. Breezy. Currently 1.9c and the dewpoint is hovering around -4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭otherfrog

tempresult_cbe0.gif

Taken from the Technical thread. Commute into Dublin from Wicklow and Kildare is not looking like fun on Wednesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Few spits of flakes in Kilkenny.
    3 in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Periscal wrote: »
    Some numerical models are firming up on massive snowfall totals by mid day Friday, my location in West Wicklow seems to be one of the prime spots and we could be looking at anything between 20-50cm, for illustration see attached picture from few weeks ago where a village near my home town in Slovakia received 40cm, if I wake up to a scenery like that on Friday then no way I am attempting to drive to work :)

1773a4ddc535ef2f1d970925ace1d4811e4e25d7.jpg

The difference is that in SK they have the equipment to deal with it. Even my wife's village has a snow plough!

And of course people have a legal obligation to keep their paths clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Danno wrote: »
    Maximum temperature here in South Laois 89mASL has been 2.2c just before the cloud rolled in. Breezy. Currently 1.9c and the dewpoint is hovering around -4c.

Same here near Arklow with the odd flurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

I’m a long time lurker, clueless, but fascinated by the weather charts. I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for posting and simplifying things for people like me :D

I’ve been buying some extra essentials and trying to convince my partner to at least put a blanket and water in his car as he faces a fairly long commute, but he basically mocked me for “falling for the hype”.
    I just received a call from him asking if I was snowed in yet :rolleyes: I really hope the incoming snow makes him eat his words :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A new (unofficial) weather symbol has been custom created for Friday's potential event of the:
    'East-Beast-Thundersnow-Blizzard-Flasks-of-Tea'

noaUYci.png

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

otherfrog wrote: »
    tempresult_cbe0.gif

Taken from the Technical thread. Commute into Dublin from Wicklow and Kildare is not looking like fun on Wednesday morning.

Looks like Cork won't be too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Will this go red alert on east coast/ Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

The difference is that in SK they have the equipment to deal with it. Even my wife's village has a snow plough!

And of course people have a legal obligation to keep their paths clear!

Also in certain countries in central Europe (don't know about Slovakia) there is a legal obligation to have winter tyres fitted during winter months, which makes a huge difference.

Will this go red alert on east coast/ Dublin?

Possibly, but it may only happen later in the week (Thursday/Friday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

52c0fbec86cb49edec8feffc643fa2ca.jpg

Who put this thing together? Me, that's who! Who do I trust? Me! - MT Cranium

• Advertisement

Only very light yet, but the latest image from ME radar (13:00) seems to show a bit of streamer organisation in the Irish sea.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

13:45 image better yet again. Keep going...........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Flakes blowing in the wind here in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Organising a funeral for wednesday morn in dublin. Body reposing at home tues night. Not sure what happens if funeral cant go ahead on wed. Im hoping snow doesnt get too bad till after wed afternoon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Colibri wrote: »
    Looks like Cork won't be too bad?

Maybe not on Wed but Thurs/Fri could well be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

But I think it was a sudden warming which has caused this cold blast. Technically global warming but manifesting itself with cold weather. Nature's glorious oxymoron. Weather systems are so finely balanced and complex in cause and effect that it is fascinating to track.

Quite. The Arctic is currently running at +6.1 degrees in the middle of permanent winter night. Sea ice levels in The Bering sea at their lowest ever recorded level. The cryosphere people are completely freaking out.

DW0-NbrU8AAGS7y.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's the time. 21.30.....The pub run.

Seriously? Lol. I assumed it meant public.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Eh? No they don`t and unless a red warning is issued I very much doubt that they will.
    Yeah sorry I heard it wrong:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Wicklow in for a serious pasting according to those charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Organising a funeral for wednesday morn in dublin. Body reposing at home tues night. Not sure what happens if funeral cant go ahead on wed. Im hoping snow doesnt get too bad till after wed afternoon
    Not sure how to re organise a funeral, I am sure undertaker will know what to do.
    We were due to attend a wedding in Kilkenny on Thursday and we were contacted this morning saying they didn’t expect people to travel for it and that they will organise another after for thoed that can’t travel.
    They are going ahead with it but at a smaller scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

droidus wrote: »
    Quite. The Arctic is currently running at +6.1 degrees in the middle of permanent winter night. Sea ice levels in The Bering sea at their lowest ever recorded level. The cryosphere people are completely freaking out.

It seems clear that we've reached a critical desalinisation point...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement