Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

13:45 image better yet again. Keep going...........:)

Appears to be developing nicely. Darker shades appearing out to sea.

442938.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Streamer activity seems to be building and heading in towards Newry. Any reports from up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Dickerty wrote: »
    It seems clear that we've reached a critical desalinisation point...

Yeah a lot of people are talking about tipping points, the destabilisation of the polar vortex etc..

One thing that stops me getting too excited about the prospect of snow (fun as it may be), it will get a lot less novel when this kind of thing happens every year, or indeed, more than once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Fingers crossed for some reports around Dundalk / North Louth shortly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My Windy app is coming up with a severe wind warning for Thursday. All our attention is on cold and snow, but this wind event might threaten hazards on its own.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for some reports around Dundalk / North Louth shortly

Nothing at the moment in Dundalk. Graupel about 2 hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Off to mild & sunny Chicago- will be tough watching this from a distance. Praying I get back in Thurs morning b4 the heavy stuff to get some special memories with kids but expect I’ll b more likely delayed in airport terminal getting through my Xmas books 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Organising a funeral for wednesday morn in dublin. Body reposing at home tues night. Not sure what happens if funeral cant go ahead on wed. Im hoping snow doesnt get too bad till after wed afternoon

Sorry to hear that Alex. Organising a funeral is difficult enough without having to contend with adverse weather conditions. My condolences to you.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gluppers

Is the barometric pressure for this sort of event low, high or in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

In grand canal area at the min.....some small amounts of snow falling. Wind would cut through you though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

its time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Snowing lightly near Dublin Port...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Some Graupel in West Cork.

New Tyres for the van- Check
    Petrol for the generator-Check
    Bird food-Check
    Grain shovel- Check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Edit: wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Snizzle here in Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

gluppers wrote: »
    Is the barometric pressure for this sort of event low, high or in between?

High until the frontal snow on Thursday night, then drops like a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Hirlam precipitation Tuesday 1200 - Wednesday 0700

Is there a link to where we can find that chart as the days progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I think DOC is well aware of what graupel is ;) hard to define between the two but graupel is slightly different to snow grains/small flakes- it falls more like hail than normal snowflakes.

In my defence I only learned the word this morning :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

droidus wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of people are talking about tipping points, the destabilisation of the polar vortex etc..

One thing that stops me getting too excited about the prospect of snow (fun as it may be), it will get a lot less novel when this kind of thing happens every year, or indeed, more than once a year.

He was actually quoting a line from The Day After Tomorrow movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snizzle and a dash of Frizzle here on the northside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Light graupple in Greystones just now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Consonata

Going by charts in the other thread, Dublin will be looking at 30-60 cm's of snow on Thursday. If that does indeed happen, that would be historic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Very light intermittent snow in Terenure, south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Most of the day on my hill in north east Kilkenny the temperature has been under 1C. It warmed up to 1.2C.
    Kilkenny city is 2.4C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Out walking just now in Sandyford and several flurries of snow. Had to stop myself from flinging out my arms and shouting “come ON”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He was actually quoting a line from The Day After Tomorrow movie.

I was, but he's not wrong. To have above freezing inside the Arctic Circle in Feb, and potentially -10 in the British Isles, is NOT normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I've been following this event ever since the SSWE occurred and i'm a bit confused at this point in time as to why Wexford hasn't been included in the orange alert by ME?

Surely we're in the direct firing line for snow on each of the days this week? Both from streamers and the more intense period Thursday/ Friday.
    I'm on an East facing slope of The Blackstairs @ 200 m asl so I had been expecting to get a serious amount over the week.

This is not a "will it snow in .... post" but instead a serious enquiry, can anyone help!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just had a text from my 6 year old's football training to say 'don't forget the senior infants have training this Thursday'. Eh, I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

light shower of snow grains for the past 20 mins. Just at the start of the easterly now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Of course. It's updated periodically every 6 hours.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?map=430

Hover over the timestamps to progress images.

That’s a very cool chart, thanks Kermit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement