Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I have butterflies in my stomach waiting for it all to begin.......feels like when you know you're going to a great party, but there's still hours to go before you can even get ready......

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Of course. It's updated periodically every 6 hours.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?map=430

Hover over the timestamps to progress images.

Brilliant! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sky looks a lot darker out over Dublin Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Snowing here in fundalk...bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snizzle /light snow here. Aldi in Sallynoggin was mobbed earlier, all tills open and car park full, it felt like Christmas!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snow eerily still lying in patches on the hills here in Donegal. The older people used to say that it was waiting for more...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Consonata wrote: »
    Going by charts in the other thread, Dublin will be looking at 30-60 cm's of snow on Thursday. If that does indeed happen, that would be historic.

I hope they do get buried after all the "Sure I don't know what all the fuss was about" talk from Dubs when Ophelia hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's extremely light precipitation here in Dublin 7, but it's all snow. Conditions fully in place here now I'd say until Friday for all precipitation to be in snow form!

I have a feeling this evening's rush hour is going to be a bit messy, I'm glad we're all able to work from home this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

barney 20v wrote: »
    I've been following this event ever since the SSWE occurred and i'm a bit confused at this point in time as to why Wexford hasn't been included in the orange alert by ME?

Surely we're in the direct firing line for snow on each of the days this week? Both from streamers and the more intense period Thursday/ Friday.
    I'm on an East facing slope of The Blackstairs @ 200 m asl so I had been expecting to get a serious amount over the week.

This is not a "will it snow in .... post" but instead a serious enquiry, can anyone help!?

I have a theory that ME probably thought that most of Wexford (south of Enniscorthy if I was to guess) wouldn't be prime candidates for snow in the immediate future and ruled the whole county yellow. Higher ground is obviously always an exception, the blackstairs will be pasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »
    Sky looks a lot darker out over Dublin Bay

Snizzle here in Eastpoint

Im working from home starting Wednesday, Naas better get buried ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I hope they do get buried after all the "Sure I don't know what all the fuss was about" talk from Dubs when Ophelia hit.

This thread could really do without pointless comments like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Consistent snizzle in Sandycove for the last half hour, 0m ASL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's heavy enough to be considered light snow here but there's a hint of sleetiness here in Artane, Dublin.

EDIT: Back to snizzle now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Hopefully it'll be a spectacular event, wish I had a few husky and a light sledge...

We'd go pike fishing for the day.

Great weather for pike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snizzle here in Eastpoint

Im working from home starting Wednesday, Naas better get buried ! :pac:

I’d say so. South Dublin, East Kildare and West Wicklow could be sweet spots. The N81 will be a no go Id say by the end of the week. Ofcourse most of these areas would be considered relatively higher ground. I mean if your over 200m asl you’ll be thinking that you’ve died and gone to narnia.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Consistent snizzle in Sandycove for the last half hour, 0m ASL.

It was snizzling during my lunch break an hour ago, becoming consistent now.

EDIT: I read Sandyford for some reason, it's still snizzling here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Some graupel up in D15 by the Halfway House at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bio Mech wrote: »
    This thread could really do without pointless comments like this.

Nothing pointless about it at all. During Ophelia the whole forum was full of smart ass comments about "a bit of wind" etc from Dublin centric posters. They were the lucky ones who avoided having no power,water etc. for days on end. It's just the whole smugness about it that annoyed an awful lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Random question, but i wonder how much of a covering would actually effect trains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

barney 20v wrote: »
    I've been following this event ever since the SSWE occurred and i'm a bit confused at this point in time as to why Wexford hasn't been included in the orange alert by ME?

Surely we're in the direct firing line for snow on each of the days this week? Both from streamers and the more intense period Thursday/ Friday.
    I'm on an East facing slope of The Blackstairs @ 200 m asl so I had been expecting to get a serious amount over the week.

This is not a "will it snow in .... post" but instead a serious enquiry, can anyone help!?

I’m wondering this also. South East has been in all warnings up until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bertie4evr wrote: »
    How bad will Kilkenny be hit? The hills surrounding the town usually keep the worst away.

It will be bad enough for all in Kilkenny but yeah the hills will hold onto the snow much longer than the city.
    I read an environmental report for Kilkenny a number of years ago, it said the hills around Kilkenny receive about 20% more rainfall than the lower areas in he county.

It reminds me of my Teagasc adviser a number of years ago, he was asking how long the cattle were out in early April, after a really cold spring, I said they aren't out yet as there was very little growth, he was thinking of the lowland areas, there can be quite a big difference in cold weather.

The city/lowland areas gets the lower temperatures in a frost situation. But warms up faster, the hills normally don't normally get as cold though last night I had the same low as the lower ground at -1.8C, but don't warm up as much, currently 1.0 here, while in Kilkenny it is still 2.4C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

I may have to leave this forum for a few days, all the reports of snow from the east will be sickening.
    I can only tolerate other peoples joy at snow if I'm also getting snow (that's not very likely for tipp).
    So enjoy it people.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I’m surprised to see Waterford / Wexford excluded from the yellow alert today. I’d guess that might be updated for Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’d say so. South Dublin, East Kildare and West Wicklow could be sweet spots. The N81 will be a no go Id say by the end of the week.

I've to get to Tallaght from Terenure via Templeogue tomorrow Thursday and Friday. If the N81 is blocked it will be a 3 day camel ride through Ballycullen and Firhouse for me

Slightly heavier snow here now. (I'm in the Harolds Cross end of Terenure)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

They just said on the news that they don't forsee businesses having to close?
    But there is folk clambering for schools to be closed,oh to be a kid again ff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Anyone know a good app to tell you if flights are cancelled or delayed etc? Supposed to be flying out of Dublin to stanstead on Friday and Murphy’s law says the Ryanair site will crash!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very light snow in Dublin 16. 1.9c DP -3.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Very light snow fairly constant here now (D16).

I should really move my PC over to the window or I'll do my neck in looking left every 30 seconds for a week. They should put out a red warning for neck injuries.

• Advertisement

The latest ICON run is around now right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement