Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Consistent light fine snow for last 40 minutes here in D14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Why are people expecting something to stick today when the forecasts saying there's nothing noteworthy until tomorrow evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

MD1990 wrote: »
    obviously not since I am asking.

Thursday Friday is unresolved yet as the low pressure area and fronts seem to be wanting to go up so far in the country on some models and then retreat southwest
    All of them bring a lot of snow to Bray on current thinking though

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Why are people expecting something to stick today when the forecasts saying there's nothing noteworthy until tomorrow evening?
    I haven't seen many say they're expecting anything to lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

We're not expecting anything. We're just hoping for ninja snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The trend is for Friday's low to be pushed or kept well to the south or southwest. Snow restricted to the south, cold air remains further north. Possibly the widespread blizzard threat is retreating but that's only following the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

1847 currently looking at the forum! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just finished school. So much happened already, yellow alert for us in cork, orange for the east, potential red, storm Emma. All happening so fast!

4 degrees right now in cork but the wind will blow through you, my hands went purple during lunch break!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

A few tiny flakes in Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

nice fall of graupel now in Dublin 4, holding on the ground.

I've a feeling that will be the last time I see the ground outside clear for a few days now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Speak Now

leahyl wrote: »
    1847 currently looking at the forum! :eek:

Repeat of 1947 :p

dacogawa wrote: »

I've a feeling that will be the last time I see the ground outside clear for a few days now
    Hilarious really. Few frozen pizzas and stuff for sandwiches will do, it's only a couple of days. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I haven't seen many say they're expecting anything to lie.

Hmmmm.

Hilarious really. Few frozen pizzas and stuff for sandwiches will do, it's only a couple of days. :P

I said nothing about stockpiling, I think you clicked the wrong reply dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

GFS and ICON supporting snow on Friday, GEM supporting Friday thaw. Still the models are unclear, this will go down to the wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Met office wide snow warning for Northern Ireland Friday

There is potential for a spell of heavy snow, accompanied by strong winds, to affect much of Northern Ireland, Wales together with central and southern England on Friday. There is a small chance that long delays and cancellations on bus, rail and air travel could occur. There is a slight chance that roads may become blocked by deep snow, with stranded vehicles and passengers. There is a small chance that long interruptions to power supplies and other services such as telephones, may occur.

Chief Forecaster's assessment
    A weather system is expected to continue to move north into Friday and has potential to produce widespread snow, accompanied by strong winds. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a chance of snow turning to freezing rain bringing an additional ice risk. There is still uncertainty in how this system will develop but there is a small chance of the combined effects of snow, strong winds and ice leading to severe impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

https://www.independent.ie/weather/storm-emma-will-impact-everybody-people-need-to-be-aware-national-emergency-coordination-group-36644094.html

Why would they go and change the name from the brilliant "Beast from the East" to Storm Emma? Real scary name there :rolleyes:

cos they didn't, two different weather systems. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

jdcv94 wrote: »
    GFS and ICON supporting snow on Friday, GEM supporting Friday thaw. Still the models are unclear, this will go down to the wire.

UKMO looks ok to, thaw may be postponed by a day or so.

Hmmmm.
    Still don't know what you're on about. First you quoted a single post, second the post you quoted said they don't expect anything to lie for a while.

I said nothing about stockpiling, I think you clicked the wrong reply dear...
    Derp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Just finished school. So much happened already, yellow alert for us in cork, orange for the east, potential red, storm Emma. All happening so fast!

4 degrees right now in cork but the wind will blow through you, my hands went purple during lunch break!

Douglas here. Absolutely bitter outside.

Felt a few drops of rain at about 1pm in the city but that's it. Blue-ish clouds at the moment too.

The GFS is still showing "The Beast from the East" getting a "Clout from the South" on Friday, looks like lots of snow!

gfs-0-90.png?12

gfs-2-102.png?12

I still don't trust the GFS above the ECM no matter how much I want to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

BBC: snow emergency in Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

jdcv94 wrote: »

Which is more reliable GFS and ICON or GEM?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Very light SNOW flurries in the last 30 mins. Southeast wexford.

It's just letting me know he is on the way:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Which is more reliable GFS and ICON or GEM?

I wouldn't back GEM if it was a horse. Rarely hear much about GEM being reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flurries in Naas
    1.2c DP -3c

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ixus wrote: »
    BBC: snow emergency in Kent.

Altogether now.....Theresssss no emergency like a snow emergency, like no emergency I know....everything about is is appealing....everything the traffic will allowwww! (which won't be much)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

pad199207 wrote: »
    Flurries in Naas

my mouth watered there for a second.... thought you said mcflurries :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement