Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Mesh

• 23-02-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

anyone recommend a Wifi Mesh solution (similar to the Google Wifi solution)?

I have Virgin Media Media Hub router. i presume to use the Wifi Mesh system would you connect via Ethernet to the VMI Hub and then change the Hub from router to modem mode?

Thanks
    Daithi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭itzme

Hey, 
    A great walk through of one solution is here. It explains a Ubiquiti solution which is a company that I'm in the process of buying all the gear for my home install. 
    Having given an answer to the question I would ask what is your issue that makes you think of a mesh system? Depending on the problems you're having there could be better or cheaper solutions out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I got the Netgear Orbi RBK50 and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Daithi Thorn

itzme wrote:
    . It explains a Ubiquiti solution which is a company that I'm in the process of buying all Ubiquiti gear for my home install. Having given an answer to the question I would ask what is your issue that makes you think of a mesh system? Depending on the problems you're having there could be better or cheaper solutions out there.

I'm going to be converting garage and attic soon. Just performed a heat map of existing WiFi and apart from the sitting room and the bedroom straight above which have good coverage, the rest of the house is less than -65dB signal strength. I don't think that the current hub will provide good coverage in the new areas of the house, so looking for a solution.

Hi nothappycamper,

How much was the orbi, what square footage for you cover wth how many hubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi nothappycamper,

How much was the orbi, what square footage for you cover wth how many hubs?

It is dear at £288 as per Amazon.co.uk but my coverage is better coming from a Netgear extender.

Not sure what square footage my house is but 4 bed semi-detached.

It claims to cover up to 5,000 sq. footage.

It is also a “true mesh” system now following a recent firmware update.

I find the included satellite is enough. I’ve also bridged my Heuwei HG659.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Daithi, first thing to try is getting a good quality 802.11AC router, something like the TP-Link AC1900 and make sure to place it well, preferably in a central location and high up on a shelf or mounted high on a wall.

The ISP supplied routers are rubbish and most people in a typical Irish sized house find getting a good AC router and placing it well fixes their reception problems without needing the expense and complexity of wifi mesh.

If you take this approach, then make sure to buy from somewhere with an easy, no argument returns policy so you can try it out and see if it is good enough for your needs or not.

Now if that isn't good enough, then for wifi mesh networks, well it depends.

Will you be able to run ethernet cable to each point where you want to place one of the access points? This is the ideal. If yes, then Ubiquiti AP's mentioned above or for a bit cheaper these new TP-Link access points:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Controller-Software-EAP115/dp/B01M7WS3IF/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519467810&sr=8-4&keywords=tp-link%2Bap&th=1

If you can't run ethernet and thus need to use wifi for backhaul, then make sure to get a Tri Band wifi mesh network (Google Wifi are only dual band and thus not great). Netgear Orbi mentioned above or Linksys Velop are the only two on the market at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I recently put in a Linksys Velop system .. 3000sqf house and it works brilliantly... 3 access points cover the whole house. I have terrible broadband and any degradation over WiFi killed it in parts of the house.

@bk thanks for the response.... Unfortunately I can't run e Ethernet everywhere so looking into a WiFi backhaul.

Agree with you that need to have the best today, to allow it to be used for next few years. So the Netgear or the Linksys look like the best bet. Will end up with about 2000 sq ft, so maybe the main hub and one other to begin with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

@bk thanks for the response.... Unfortunately I can't run e Ethernet everywhere so looking into a WiFi backhaul.

Agree with you that need to have the best today, to allow it to be used for next few years. So the Netgear or the Linksys look like the best bet. Will end up with about 2000 sq ft, so maybe the main hub and one other to begin with.

Yes, if you are getting into home automation stuff, then I think a good, solid, reliable wifi is a most, specially if you plan on running wifi IP cameras, they use a lot of data and need a good signal.

Orbi and Velop are very good options and yes, just two is a good starting point, you can always add a third later if you find you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

If you are in the IT industry, you can get free Meraki WiFi AP's by registering for their webinars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Digging this old post up

Ok the joys of moving house not recommended

Currently with Vermin and have their router bridged to a TP Link router and everything ok. Router is upstairs and wireless around the house ok.

However moving to bigger and older house and not sure what the wifi is going to be like so I'm in the research mode before we move in etc.

New house has Vermin and like their speeds (when they are as advertised) so going to stick with them and still use the TP Link router. However when agent com's to install I will see if I can get another hardwire point downstairs so that I can connect PC for work so I don't have to rely on wifi. Upstairs will still have wifi access for phones, etc.

However I would like the option of having to restrict areas of the house with access. So I can turn of access to certain areas of the house so cannot be used at night time in that area ie Kids bedroom but can still be accessed downstairs etc by responsible Adults

Was looking at Google mesh but not sure that's best option? With some Black Friday deals around might pick something up

Any other suggestions

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Digging this old post up

Ok the joys of moving house not recommended

Currently with Vermin and have their router bridged to a TP Link router and everything ok. Router is upstairs and wireless around the house ok.

However moving to bigger and older house and not sure what the wifi is going to be like so I'm in the research mode before we move in etc.

New house has Vermin and like their speeds (when they are as advertised) so going to stick with them and still use the TP Link router. However when agent com's to install I will see if I can get another hardwire point downstairs so that I can connect PC for work so I don't have to rely on wifi. Upstairs will still have wifi access for phones, etc.

However I would like the option of having to restrict areas of the house with access. So I can turn of access to certain areas of the house so cannot be used at night time in that area ie Kids bedroom but can still be accessed downstairs etc by responsible Adults

Was looking at Google mesh but not sure that's best option? With some Black Friday deals around might pick something up

Any other suggestions

Cheers

I think if I was looking at anything then Ubiquiti AP's would be on the list, great product and with the controller software it gives you great control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

THE ALM wrote: »
    I think if I was looking at anything then Ubiquiti AP's would be on the list, great product and with the controller software it gives you great control.

They seem to fit on the ceiling correct the Google mesh seems easy on the eye and also easy to install

Like to have some control of access but not the nuclear option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Hi have the Orbi RBR50 for couple of months, once setup I find it a great system, I have one of the satellites connected by Ethernet cable to main hub and 1 over WiFi , no dead spots in house now and works great for outside security cameras via WiFi .
    I’m considering getting a further satellite for outside for further away from house but it is too pricey (£270 at moment )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

I have the Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites and that works great for me. I like the fact that the satellites have 4 x 1GB lan ports so i can hardwire other things, like PS4 and smart TV, then being pushed over wifi and that works without any problems.
    RonTon wrote: »
    I’m considering getting a further satellite for outside for further away from house but it is too pricey (£270 at moment )[/QUOTE

I was looking at getting another for my garage as it was a little too far away, for the house wifi. I wanted to install 2 5MP cameras on the garage, but went for a powerline adaptors over to the garage and connected it to a hub, then set a wifi extender off the hub so i could use that for the garage door and oilpay. All works great, and cost alot less then another satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Orbi has its new WiFi 6 mesh routers coming out shortly. They'll be super expensive but may be worth holding off for depending on your needs, particularly if you've a lot of home auto.
    Might even be worth holding off as Orbi's existing mesh may be heavily discounted when the new one lands in shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Need the cheapest option per AP that I could get with gigabit ethernet, don't need mesh as all would have a ethernet connection and I need a few as they're replacing 6 old ones that are all N300 & fast ethernet. Might buy 3 to start.

Was looking at the TP link M4. Used TP link a lot and very happy with how adaptable they're routers are general. But if there's a router or dedicated AP someone can suggest that comparable. Seen the cheaper Tenda are a lot worse and the more expensive ones are only comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I just went with TP Link Deco M9s. Two piece job that covers a large area (4500ft according to them). Works well but no Web UI - only through an app on phone which is unusual and a negative point I think.

Good coverage and speed though. The units look good too and come with 2 LAN ports which is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

+1 on this, have it for more than a year and it's all good. The only annoying thing is that sometimes after a firmware update you need to reset it to default. O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Any idea where best to source Ubiquity products?

• Advertisement

jammer84 wrote: »
    Any idea where best to source Ubiquity products?

Komplett.ie have a few of the AP's on offer, Senetic.ie is another and Amazon as usual.

Not a thing you can get great offers on, prices fairly consistent so I'd say they run a tight ship with suppliers.

deals on some mesh systems that might be of interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Cool cheers. Wasn't too sure about Senetic.ie

Advertisement