Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick or twist in Civil Service?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi. I transferred on promotion last year, transferred location and department. My new department had a very strange culture, without going into detail I can’t see myself lasting much longer, I had 6+ years service before being promoted but at this point I’m nearly certain my only option will be to leave entirely. I have emailed HR in my original department enquiring if I reverted to my original grade could I revert to original department also. Has anyone any experience with this? I think it wouldn't be facilitated but I would rather find out before giving notice.

Is it the work you are doing now? The jump in grade and the expectations that go with it can be hard. Have you attempted to discuss whatever the root of your issues are with your manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 work2021

Does anyone know is there ever a chance of a transfer before 2 years service has been reached? I started as an AO last June and despise my role and department so I'm strongly considering resigning soon and revert back to the private sector. Ideally I'd like to transfer to another department but if it's not possible I'll have to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

work2021 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there ever a chance of a transfer before 2 years service has been reached? I started as an AO last June and despise my role and department so I'm strongly considering resigning soon and revert back to the private sector. Ideally I'd like to transfer to another department but if it's not possible I'll have to resign.

You could ask your AP but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

work2021 wrote: »

have you been harrassed sexually?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To the two people wondering about resigning, I did it. I worked in the private sector, got an AO job in the civil service and it was... bizarre. I had nothing to do for months, then, as outlined above, I ended up sending emails about emails for my AP. It was tedious, then it became stressful doing nothing, then I actually developed anxiety around it all and dreaded going to work. Once I realised my weekends didn’t provide much respite from the dread I knew I had to get out.
    I understand that sections are different and some departments are busy and productive but my experience was enough to convince me I needed out.
    Got a new job back in the private sector and never looked back. There is life outside the CS.

• Advertisement

Hi. I transferred on promotion last year, transferred location and department. My new department had a very strange culture, without going into detail I can’t see myself lasting much longer, I had 6+ years service before being promoted but at this point I’m nearly certain my only option will be to leave entirely. I have emailed HR in my original department enquiring if I reverted to my original grade could I revert to original department also. Has anyone any experience with this? I think it wouldn't be facilitated but I would rather find out before giving notice.

I have seen this happen, once, when the person who transferred claimed they were being bullied and suffered depression as a result in their new department.

There was no promotion involved in that case, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,034 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AOs are supposed to move department after a couple of years anyway.

Advertisement