Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calcutta Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It was high risk rugby from Scotland at times. They could easily have shipped 20 points if some of those skip passes hadn't landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Akrasia wrote: »
    Classy Scottish fans as usual

Come off it, its pantomine stuff, just like Jones himself, the fans are on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

INTERVIEWER:What went wrong today Eddie?
    EDDIE JONES: *noncomittal response*
    INTERVIEWER: And what do you take away from today's defeat?
    EDDIE JONES: *nasal Australian droning*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Come off it, its pantomine stuff, just like Jones himself, the fans are on a high.

And he couldn't give less of a shit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The celebrations from the Scots are something else at Murrayfield. Just a bit more time now.

Very very tempted to put some Scottish flags in our staff room Monday morning :D:D (I work in London)
    Prediction: Eddie Jones puts out a 2nd string against Ireland in Twickenham to devalue the slam.

Only partially jokin

They'll go out to deny Ireland the Grand Slam like Ireland did to them!

• Advertisement

SCOTLAND MAY HAVE WON THE CALCUTTA CUP BUT THEY'LL NEVER CLAIM THE CENTENARY QUAICH

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Loved the reaction of the ball boys at the end, jumping up and down!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

great result for us

Win vs Scotland and an England loss even with a LBP makes us champions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Normally i cringe hearing Sonia McLaughlans voice but it was almost orgasmic listening to her stick the knife into Jones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

almostover wrote: »
    Why? Because dangerous tackles which can cause serious injuries are outlawed?

i genuinely see no inherent unsafeness in that compared to the way people are entering rucks.

listen to the commentary during this hit. "rugby men" loved this stuff and we have talked ourselves into hysterics.Davies loved the tackle. he'd whinge about it now.

eventually group think and consensus takes over.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Normally i cringe hearing Sonia McLaughlans voice but it was almost orgasmic listening to her stick the knife into Jones.

scotland will inevitably let her down. what goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

talked ourselves into hysterics.

Only yourself is in hysterics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Can England actually defend a ruck?? Embarrassing play by England there and amazing Jones didn't adapt his plan and bring more men in to clear out and ensure quick-ball. Wonderful gameplan execution from Scotland to be fair. Brown is too old and too slow. Never commits his opposite number to the tackle thus losing the precious extra man they had built at times.

What a great Six Nations so far!

corny wrote: »

Say, you're not Graham Dwyer are you?

Try_harder wrote: »
    He is very dislikeable tbf

he was revered by all when he was masterminding japans victory over south africa. short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

enda1 wrote: »
    Can England actually defend a rook??

If they have their bishops, with only pawns on the board, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hurrache wrote: »
    If they have their bishops, with only pawns on the board, no.

Ruck! I blame the wine :D

Hurrache wrote: »
    Only yourself is in hysterics.

i have no problem with the hit? i don't follow. for clarity i think we have talked ourselves into being too soft. we penalise too much. dominant physical hits are being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

i have no problem with the hit? i don't follow. for clarity i think we have talked ourselves into being too soft. we penalise too much. dominant physical hits are being removed.

Cheers for the clarification. I wasn't sure how you felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

If we want to continue enjoying contact sports we have a duty to protect the life and well being of the players.

We know much more about brain injury for example than we did in "the good oul days".

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Cheers for the clarification. I wasn't sure how you felt.

it wasn't you who queried it.

It wasn't a physical hit, I've no problem with physicality - but the guy came in with a no arms tackle. You can't shoulder charge into a tackle - you need to use your arms and he didn't. Rugby tackle is defined as using the arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's not a 'dominant' hit if it's a penalty offense, which it was. It's worth noting that there wasn't an iota of complaint from Underhill when he was carded. He knew it was coming.

laugh wrote: »
    If we want to continue enjoying contact sports we have a duty to protect the life and well being of the players.

this ties in to my point. i think a lot of this is window dressing. scrums in my opinion, are the most dangerous facet of the game particularly at amateur level.
    and there are some well documented neck breaks from collapsed scrums. after that i have a problem with crocodile rolls and missile like entry to rucks.

alex mckinnon is the only spear tackle related catastrophe i can think of albeit in rugby league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    England are only - 7 lads. If your so confident of such a high win there's great value there for you.

Personally I think Scotland can sneak this.

Respect. Although you lose points for « sneak »

Hartley saying they lack intensity, poor at the ruck - at half time they wanted to get back into the game, small things in the second half where they left Scotland off the hook but gave credit to Scotland for their first half especially.

It's not a 'dominant' hit if it's a penalty offense, which it was. It's worth noting that there wasn't an iota of complaint from Underhill when he was carded. He knew it was coming.

I remember Rob Kearney shouldering Rocky Elsom out of the dead ball area as he scored in the aviva and andrew trimble clattering doug howlett with his shoulder during the act of scoring too in 2006.
    no whinges from anyone.just good natured physicality.

i find people are being led by the media and groupthink into what to think is dangerous as opposed to making up their own minds.

We have stef evans contesting a kick with earls in the opening minutes of todays game and a poster is saying he was "taken out".

powder puff stuff

I remember Rob Kearney shouldering Rocky Elsom out of the dead ball area as he scored in the aviva and andrew trimble clattering doug howlett with his shoulder during the act of scoring too in 2006.

i find people are being led by the media and groupthink into what to think is dangerous as opposed to making up their own minds.

We have stef evans contesting a kick with earls in the opening minutes of todays game and a poster is saying he was "taken out".

powder puff stuff

That post doesn't address what happened today - rugby and safety in rugby has moved on a huge amount since 2006!

The hit that resulted in the yellow card was not a tackle, it was a shoulder charge which is not allowed as a tackle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

powder puff stuff

Google NFL and CTE and get back to me on this.

Rugby is much safer since the incidents you reference. The quality of the game hasn't suffered because of it.

Advertisement