Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calcutta Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

It wasn't a physical hit, I've no problem with physicality - but the guy came in with a no arms tackle. You can't shoulder charge into a tackle - you need to use your arms and he didn't. Rugby tackle is defined as using the arms!

people seem selective about it though.....

Google NFL and CTE and get back to me on this.

Rugby is much safer since the incidents you reference. The quality of the game hasn't suffered because of it.

i think rugby was much more enjoyable circa 01-06

Google NFL and CTE and get back to me on this.

Rugby is much safer since the incidents you reference. The quality of the game hasn't suffered because of it.

watch the NFL every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Teresa May, Lizzie Winsor, Boris Johnson, Harry Wales- your boys took one hell of a beating

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

2009 and 2013 - enough said!

• Advertisement

That post doesn't address what happened today - rugby and safety in rugby has moved on a huge amount since 2006!

The hit that resulted in the yellow card was not a tackle, it was a shoulder charge which is not allowed as a tackle!

but i see it at every second ruck. its faux safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I remember Rob Kearney shouldering Rocky Elsom out of the dead ball area as he scored in the aviva and andrew trimble clattering doug howlett with his shoulder during the act of scoring too in 2006.
    no whinges from anyone.just good natured physicality.

i find people are being led by the media and groupthink into what to think is dangerous as opposed to making up their own minds.

We have stef evans contesting a kick with earls in the opening minutes of todays game and a poster is saying he was "taken out".

powder puff stuff

Sounds a lot like what rugby's attitude to concussion was like ten years ago. Maybe have a read up about John Fogarty. Your caveman attitude does the game no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So how can you say physicality is being overstated?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

2009 and 2013 - enough said!

What was 2009 and 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Whatever about safety, the laws of rugby very clearly describe what constitutes a tackle and that was not a tackle. It was an offence all day long and the card was fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why are we entertaining this discussion?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,336 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

i think rugby was much more enjoyable circa 01-06

Stop watching then and stop embarrassing yourself with these posts. It was a terrible "tackle" that is banned now. Between this and saying Ireland had the ref in the match thread, a lot seems to be going against the grain for the sake of it

The laws of the games have moved on to preserve player safety. The game is more physical than it has ever been but outright dangerous tackles have rightly been banned

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    What was 2009 and 2013?

Both videos the poster quoted to back up their point that no arms shoulder charge tackles are part of the game :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You're not going to win them over. Just don't quote them.

Both videos the poster quoted to back up their point that no arms shoulder charge tackles are part of the game :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah right the videos arwnt showing up on my phone

Love that the BBC lead with the Irish 6 Nations result and not the English one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why are we entertaining this discussion?!

My bad.

Great, crawl back under your bridge and please stick to watching NFL. A game with a huge issue with head injuries and concussion. The rest of us will continue to enjoy our rugby thanks

because i see no difference between what underhill did and how people are entering rucks quite often.

and if heads and necks were so sacrosanct then be done with it and ban scrums.

he milled him in the chest with his shoulder. on with the game ta ****

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    Great, crawl back under your bridge and please stick to watching NFL. A game with a huge issue with head injuries and concussion. The rest of us will continue to enjoy our rugby thanks

the biggest problem with respect to the above is the transitional nature of play in the NFL, as in offence can become defence during an interception etc. a lot of the injuries occur due to being blindsided such as brandon cooks ( from my beloved patriots) when he got sparked out during the Super Bowl just gone.

in rugby both teams are facing each other and are braced for impact more often than not. i the NFL you are looking back towards your qb and can be flattened after you take your first step and become a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just read the last few pages. A mistake. Nothing about the match. Just a sad poster enjoying his/her self.
    Why respond? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Fair play to Scotland,best Six Nations in a few years,some great attacking rugby being played.Two very enjoyable games today.

OldRio wrote: »
    Just read the last few pages. A mistake. Nothing about the match. Just a sad poster enjoying his/her self.
    Why respond? Why?

i think that is quite harsh to be fair. a few of the posters played the man and not the ball.i tried to engage in a topical and constructive discourse.

because i see no difference between what underhill did and how people are entering rucks quite often.

and if heads and necks were so sacrosanct then be done with it and ban scrums.

he milled him in the chest with his shoulder. on with the game ta ****

An awful lot of the dangerous stuff has been removed from the game. Scrum engagement has been altered to improve safety.

Its a contact sport which has made changes to improve player safety based on better medical understanding of head injuries especially.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    An awful lot of the dangerous stuff has been removed from the game. Scrum engagement has been altered to improve safety.

Its a contact sport which has made changes to improve player safety based on better medical understanding of head injuries especially.

i agree with the majority of your post but what i am getting at is that i think it has a hint of window dressing about it. Sean o Brien concussed Naholo during the lions tour and received no citing, while vunipola forearm smashed a prone beauden barrett and received no citing.

i am no england fan but i find it hard to sit there and be told that what underhill did was so egregious while actual contact to the head in the two highest profile games of 2017 went unpunished.

it seems like the powers that be are treating the rules as an a le carte menu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

i think that is quite harsh to be fair. a few of the posters played the man and not the ball.i tried to engage in a topical and constructive discourse.
    It's hardly topical when everyone but you thinks that it's unsafe to not wrap the arms and just use your shoulder in a tackle.

The rules have constantly been altered to further maximise player safety. The spear tackle is gone, the tackle has been defined as wrapping the arms, the scrum is extremely safe now, allowing the ref to ensure that, in the worst case scenario, bodies can be moved and no-one is going to be paralysed like before.

Also, you have to bind to join a ruck. Not binding and just charging in with your shoulder is also a penalty and cardable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

i agree with the majority of your post but what i am getting at is that i think it has a hint of window dressing about it. Sean o Brien concussed Naholo during the lions tour and received no citing, while vunipola forearm smashed a prone beauden barrett and received no citing.

i am no england fan but i find it hard to sit there and be told that what underhill did was so egregious while actual contact to the head in the two highest profile games of 2017 went unpunished.

it seems like the powers that be are treating the rules as an a le carte menu
    The fact that some illegal tackles went unpunished is not a valid argument to say that all illegal tackles should go unpunished.

Akrasia wrote: »
    The fact that some illegal tackles went unpunished is not a valid argument to say that all illegal tackles should go unpunished.

its valid when your contention is that world rugby aren't really serious about it.

vunipola and o brien should have been sat for the third test. non negotiable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Today has been most the wonderfulest day ever.

Advertisement