Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl's Organic Eggs Registered Organic?

Options
  • 24-02-2018 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was shopping in Lidl in Dingle, Co. Kerry and came across the eggs section, there were/are 3 options to choose from.. Corn Fed, Free Range & Organic.. apparently all from the same producer, Connell farm. I found this a little curious, so I proceeded to do some research and try to find out about them, couldn't find anything online, and when I checked the Organic Trusts' list of registered members, I found no O'Connell anywhere. I proceeded to email the organic trust to find out how this could be the case if O'Connell's Organic eggs displayed the Organic Trust logo on the box. The answer I received back (from the CEO!) was as follows;

"Thank you for your query regarding Connell Farm Organic Irish eggs being sold in Lidl.

I can confirm that these eggs are produced by an established Irish Organic egg producer who has been an organically certified member of the Organic Trust for many years.

The reason Connell Farm do not appear on our membership listing is that Connell farm is a brand name for Lidl own products – any branded labels such as these must have our approval prior to use which is the case in this instance."

I am pretty sceptical of this response due to the lack of detail..

Would anyone have any advice/information regarding this curiosity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

The box should have a number relating to its organic registration. This number is the producers organic registration. Lidl just box these eggs in ‘connel farm’ branded egg boxes. As long as the producer has organic registration, everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

When you're finished investigating the eggs can you confirm definitively, were moon landings staged and was in CIA involved in the assassination of JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's absolutely true about Connell Farm. It's just a brand, not an actual farm or producer. Different suppliers could be supplying products to be sold under the Connell Farm brand. Other supermarkets do this too. There was some consternation in the UK last year with Tesco "farm" brands with people alleging it was misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once the leading character of the code is 0 its organic. Connell is just a brand name, Lidl manufacturer no food themselves basically and that includes packaging eggs.

I've a pack here and they start 0IE which means Irish and meeting Bord Bia Organic standards

Advertisement