Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to sell a house?

Options
  • 24-02-2018 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Will be putting my house on the market soon. With the lack of supply, how long does it take to sell a property these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

1 day if its alot cheaper than similar houses in the right location, forever if its expensive in the wrong location.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you owe any of to the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Depends on where in the country. Dublin and surrounding areas seem to be selling within days. Open veiwings people biding.
    Houses in the Midlands taking longer 3 beds under 200k selling well within weeks as that is 80% of the market. Everything else taking longer if it is at the right price and location.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Car99 wrote: »
    1 day if its alot cheaper than similar houses in the right location, forever if its expensive in the wrong location.
    Not in a huge rush. Paid well over the asking myself, so would be looking for what its valued at, at least. Not looking to drag it out for months in the hopes to get a little more.
    It's in an excellent location in Dublin. 3 bed, family home, I hear these are the most in demand?
    A few days would be great. After a deal is done, what sort of time frame before you get payment?
    Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

bacon? wrote: »
    Not in a huge rush. Paid well over the asking myself, so would be looking for what its valued at, at least. Not looking to drag it out for months in the hopes to get a little more.
    It's in an excellent location in Dublin. 3 bed, family home, I hear these are the most in demand?
    A few days would be great. After a deal is done, what sort of time frame before you get payment?
    Thanks for the feedback.

Usually months even if everything goes smoothly. A cash buyer would make things go a bit quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bacon? wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

Can sell after the first open viewing.
    Most people I know in the market say asking gets offers on the first viewing. Agent will usually wait a week or 2 just to make sure no other offers come in.

Once dale agreed, average time to hand over in dublin is 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kceire wrote: »
    Can sell after the first open viewing.
    Most people I know in the market say asking gets offers on the first viewing. Agent will usually wait a week or 2 just to make sure no other offers come in.

Once dale agreed, average time to hand over in dublin is 3 months.

Why so long? If everything is in order where are the delays?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t know.
    Recently sold my nannies house.
    Empty house.
    No planning issues.
    No survey issues.
    No chain.
    Skkixitor told us from the beginningthat the average was 3 months and sure as hell thats what it took.

My mate also buying. First time buyer, no chain etc and similar time
    Frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's incredibly easy for something to take a few days here or there. Documents need to be properly checked, queries raised, replies chased. It's still a pretty manual system relying on post in some cases. 60 working days or so go by quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

You could be waiting on buyers to organise survey, solicitor to draw up contracts, their solicitor to go through contracts, back and forth with any issues, they may have to sell a house or get mortgage sorted. There are plenty of things that can drag it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We bought cash and it took us over 3 months. To get the deeds alone from the bank took 7 weeks, and one more until we got the contracts. Lots of solicitors don't do anything until the contracts are on their table, then they start raising queries and until you have everything together (most still sent by snail mail), it takes a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We went sale agreed in December and got our keys last week. Others on here went sale agreed last summer and are still waiting.

Advertisement