Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

anthonymcg wrote: »
    Lads, I have tickets for Everything Everything in the Olympia. MCD saying the gig is going ahead regardless. I'm 5km from the venue and wouldn't even be considering it bar the fact I'm on a DART line and apparently they're running until later. Am I mad to go?

Just been cancelled by MCD. Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just bought the last two packets of cigarette filters in my local shop, still cigarette papers left, can't believe I nearly forgot to stock up on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

In current conditions which is the safest route from Kilkenny to Enniscorthy?
    M9 to carlow and onto N80 or
    M9 to waterford and onto N25 and onto N30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

peadar76 wrote: »
    In current conditions which is the safest route from Kilkenny to Enniscorthy?
    M9 to carlow and onto N80 or
    M9 to waterford and onto N25 and onto N30

Once you stick to National routes they should be well gritted. Grit runs seem to be around 7/8pm around here, not sure about around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mini homer

Ok feel embarrassed now over the typo. Anyways made it to east cork in the end. It wasn’t as bad as I expected.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I would re-evaluate the meaning of 'have', if I were you.

I 'have' to crash my car today.

I 'have' to get stuck in a blizzard, abandon my car and try and work out what to do now.

These are from a couple of minutes ago (rural Tipp):

20180228_111257b.jpg
    20180228_111232b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pray for cork. And we've more to come tomorrow and Friday ? It's whiteout here on the north side of cork city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

sdanseo wrote: »

Bottom line is while tomorrow's red is in place everyone should be at home in front of the fire, and nowhere near the car.

One of the contrasts with 2010 is that our employers just said, early in the week, "work from home if you are worried about commuting".

That takes a massive pressure off people. Plus, thanks to this site, I warned family to stay home and fill the fridge.

Now, the cabin fever is dementing...

Just been told we will be paid for today but tomorrow we will need to take leave as they will be open. But no pressure on us to be in beyond that.

Have told them I'm gone till Monday. Nodding and smiling for now but will be having strong words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

its really bad here now in galway

gally74 wrote:
    its really bad here now in galway

Galway city is fine, cold as hell but no snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Hi all

please take this a bit seriously.

I am at home and I see from this article that things will be getting really bad... If the electricity goes I will not be able to contact vulnerable family members - if electricity goes doens't the phone lines? Will 4G work on my phone as well? I know it's only a couple of hours.

This article has freaked me out big time

http://www.thejournal.ie/snow-warning-storm-emma-beast-east-3877352-Feb2018/

Thanks
    Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No sign of snow this way in east cork
    Small fella is bored waiting

Come west of the city and there is plenty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your mobile phone will work if the electricity goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

spurious wrote: »
    Your mobile phone will work if the electricity goes.

Until the battery runs out...

I'll keep it plugged in and can charge it off against laptop.
    Phone lines will work though I am guessing
    I am freaking out a bit... does anyway think I could make it from Trim Co Meath to Clondalkin for Friday - driving not public transport. Need to check on said family member and taking shifts.

Hi all

please take this a bit seriously.

I am at home and I see from this article that things will be getting really bad... If the electricity goes I will not be able to contact vulnerable family members - if electricity goes doens't the phone lines? Will 4G work on my phone as well? I know it's only a couple of hours.

This article has freaked me out big time

http://www.thejournal.ie/snow-warning-storm-emma-beast-east-3877352-Feb2018/

Thanks
    Ross

Do you have a corded phone that plugs directly into the phone socket? If so that should work if the power goes.

If not generally mobile will still be fine.
    I am freaking out a bit... does anyway think I could make it from Trim Co Meath to Clondalkin for Friday - driving not public transport. Need to check on said family member and taking shifts.

Trim to the M3 will and the estates will be the dodgy bits.

M50 CL are doing a fantastic job keeping the road spotless by all accounts.

and the bread freezes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Cliff's of Moher and Bunratty Castle closed from 1pm tomorrow inclusive of Friday

I was at the Cliff's today got some amazing snaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I understand your concerns. Could you get in contact with a neighbour of theirs (maybe your relative has a phone number for someone nearby) and ask them to pop in for you? If you have valid concerns about their safety, maybe give Clondalkin Garda station a call and see if someone could knock in and see if they're ok.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Do you have a corded phone that plugs directly into the phone socket? If so that should work if the power goes.

If not generally mobile will still be fine.

Trim to the M3 will and the estates will be the dodgy bits.

M50 CL are doing a fantastic job keeping the road spotless by all accounts.

I'm actually going to go to Navan tomorrow night and stay with a friend - think the M3 should be fine from Navan to there via M50. Think this is the best bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I'm actually going to go to Navan tomorrow night and stay with a friend - think the M3 should be fine from Navan to there via M50. Think this is the best bed.

Don't think its just the snow to worry about ,its driving winds with the snow
    making it very hard to see when driving.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Don't think its just the snow to worry about ,its driving winds with the snow
    making it very hard to see when driving.

Friday PM should be OK though? I am getting very conflicting reports on accu weather, my phone app, the journal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Friday PM should be OK though? I am getting very conflicting reports on accu weather, my phone app, the journal etc.

Sorry thought you said tomorrow night, warning up to mid day Friday, you might be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

My employer says we will finish at 16:30 as normal. I have a 45min drive home. Limerick to cork. He seemed to be amused that I was worried about getting home. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

My employer says we will finish at 16:30 as normal. I have a 45min drive home. He seemed to be amused that I was worried about getting home. Any advice?

Bring a sleeping bag...:p

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Sorry thought you said tomorrow night, warning up to mid day Friday, you might be ok.

Thanks, Scoop, hopefully this is all just being made out to be bigger than it is and all though it's fun for kids and getting time off work it's people like vulnerable people i worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My employer says we will finish at 16:30 as normal. I have a 45min drive home. Limerick to cork. He seemed to be amused that I was worried about getting home. Any advice?

Just drive home at 3:15 because of the red warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I've to drive from Bluebell in Dublin to Galway tomorrow morning. Will be leaving about 9am .
    Anyone know what the Galway Road was like this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Phone in sick in the morning. You slipped while making your way in to work as asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

That is so irresponsible of your employer. I wonder would he care if you had an accident and he had to pay you sick leave. I would explain that you have to leave early or not go in tomorrow as the roads are lethal. You are well within your rights with the warnings issued from the government and MET Éireann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

We are let home early, very bad in Cork City, roads poor enough. Getting pizza now and not moving for the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Lunacy according to forecasts. You'll be driving into the heart of it. "Sucicidal" to be out never mind driving at that time. Tell your boss you're going at 14.30 latest and go,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Tell him you won't take a lunch break and head home an hour earlier than planned or just tell him you can't make it in due to road conditions and you'll be taken it out of your annual leave. No point risking yourself just cause your boss sounds like an ass. It's status red for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've a vague idea that an employer has some sort of obligation to you on your journey to/from work - though what exactly that is, and whether he'll actually give a damn, is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Would you mind pm me who you work for, a few of people I know are in the same boat. Interested to see what they will to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Why bread ? It has very little nutritional value and it's not that nice. Surely now is a good time to run the freezer down a bit or open that tin of veggie soup that's been in back of cupboard for months. I guess I just don't associate bread with survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

My OH is an intern nurse in Portrane and is expected in tomorrow from 8a.m-8p.m. She's travelling from Dublin 13 and getting out there should be okay but Im supposed to go and collect her for 8.00 tomorrow night, how bad is it going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tell him he has a " duty of care to his employees " . This usually shakes them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

markc91 wrote: »
    My OH is an intern nurse in Portrane and is expected in tomorrow from 8a.m-8p.m. She's travelling from Dublin 13 and getting out there should be okay but Im supposed to go and collect her for 8.00 tomorrow night, how bad is it going to be?

Could be almost impossible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Why bread ? It has very little nutritional value and it's not that nice. Surely now is a good time to run the freezer down a bit or open that tin of veggie soup that's been in back of cupboard for months. I guess I just don't associate bread with survival.

Do you know what goes great with soup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Pwindedd wrote: »

Toast for snow day breakfast in bed
    Bread with the aforementioned tin of soup for lunch
    Bread and Butter Pudding to warm you up after dinner
    .....or cause it’s versitile and handy and the cabin fever kids eat it in truck loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The number #1 tip, for how to drive in a blizzard is:

... don't.
    Wind speeds of up to 100km/h from 'Storm Emma' are expected to clash with the snowfall from the 'Beast from the East' tomorrow, it will cause “zero visibility”

I1cmh9Z.png

There will be no choice but to park up a moving vehicle in the general SE area, from tomorrow 4pm through into Friday afternoon.
    Emma sounds like a lovely ladies name, but she's about to smack the 'Beast from the East', tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Mr.S wrote: »
    Leave whenever you want. I wouldn’t go in tomorrow if you can afford a day less pay.

Status Red at that time in Munster. Don't bother risking yours or anybody elses life on the chance it might get as bad as its predicted. If your boss has a problem **** him.

We have mangy employers when it comes to situations like this but they told us today up to each of us if we thought it was safe to travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Really intense snowfall now on the northside of Dublin.

That'll be peak Blizzard. Could she leave earlier or possibly stay with someone closer?

Unless you're driving a serious off road machine madness to be out in that, and even then chances are visibility will be near zero.
    Really intense snowfall now on the northside of Dublin.

Still schnizzle a few km from you. Go out to the door and blow northwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Biblical scenes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

No idea what conditions will be like at the time, maybe it would be wise to put a contingency plan in place and go to work with a travel bag in case she is stranded there overnight.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Biblical scenes :D

I said in work today it was going to be biblical, then I was like " did it snow in the bible?"

Advertisement