Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

The m17 near tuam Co Galway 28/02/18IMAG3097_zpsateadfjp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

The number #1 tip, for how to drive in a blizzard is:

... don't.

Completely.

If you don’t have a 4x4 with winter tires, snow chains just in case and have a urgent reason to be in the road it’s best to stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The M50 was bad during this evenings snow, the lanes disappeared, and it was very slippy on the fresh snow. Visibility was poor, ad I had problems with blocks of ice building up on the wipers, lifting them so they wouldn't clear the windscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Biblical scenes :D

With everyone breaking their 5,000 loafs of bread, and downing the red wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

markfla wrote: »
    I have 4 family members and a load of friends and in-laws that were supposed to fly out to Vegas tomorrow also. Disappointed for them.

Too much of a gamble I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My employer says we will finish at 16:30 as normal. I have a 45min drive home. Limerick to cork. He seemed to be amused that I was worried about getting home. Any advice?

Any employee like this should be named and shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

With everyone breaking their 5,000 loafs of bread, and downing the red wine.

There will be families living off bread and butter pudding and toast for weeks after the three days of snow have passed.

I feel so left out, I only bought one baguette yesterday with 4 in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I wonder should I bite the bullet now and reschedule my flight outta Dub with Ryanair at 12.20 Friday.
    Have accom booked for weekend and if I leave it any longer I'll be charged for it.

Be great if it went but I doubt it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

I’m supposed to be travelling to Newtown Mount Kennedy Co Wicklow tomorrow. I’m leaving from Midleton Co Cork at 8/9am via N25/M8/M7/M50/N11. Any idea if I should stay or go?

P2284549b.jpg

"I am just going outside and may be some time."

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Ooooh Baguette
    Very fancy lol
    What’s wrong with the old sliced pan

Crust to bread ratio is all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

I'd advise every one to charge all their phones etc until the last minute so we can still get updates from the red areas tomorrow. Lots will lose power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning? (on a practical level)

How dare he warn people about their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

markfla wrote: »
    I have 4 family members and a load of friends and in-laws that were supposed to fly out to Vegas tomorrow also. Disappointed for them.
    I thought DAA(Dublin Airport Authority)was at least nearly prepared for this!?
    Just disappointed for a family member heading to Vegas early tomorrow morning. British Airways..
    Put back until Fri<<shir that won't happen either I'm guessing.

Ah no, my friend is due to go out tomorrow afternoon. I hope she makes it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning? (on a practical level)

Yes.

Yes, you might have to go to work.
    I'd hate to need to get a pregnant wife to hospital in a blizzard only to find it was closed cos of the blizzard.

People who don't work in essential public services however don't really need to be going out in a potential blizzard. The Taoiseach is advising people to avoid potentially serious weather conditions. What more information do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

After all my preparation,my gas bottle is frozen, nearly full bottle as well. Its a gas bottle Flo Gas for Hob inside. A work mate said that it most be frozen Any ideas what can be done. Wrapped a jacket around it ,but nothing else i can think of, never happened before ( obviously in West Cork its never cold enough) and never knew it could happen. Had a quick look on goolge but nothing helpful.
    Can you defrost it with a say a hairdryer . and would it be safe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

4 of us are booked to fly Dublin - Edinburgh on Friday at 12.35, returning Monday 5th, for Edinburgh v Munster on Friday night (which probably won't go ahead now anyway). It's looking like we'll be spending the weekend at home with bread and wine:). Mail from Ryanair tonight:

"Dear Customer,

Due to the expected adverse weather conditions between 01st & 02nd March, Ryanair are allowing customers to move their flight free of charge.

Customers can move their flight up to 7 days forward, if you would like to avail of this option please click on the below link.

The easiest way to change your cancelled flight for free (subject to seat availability) is by retrieving your booking online:

Click Here To Change Flight

Ryanair would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by these expected disruptions which is entirely outside of our control.

Ryanair Customer Service"

We can't "move our flight up to 7 days forward" for various reasons. No mention of refunds. We've also booked car parking at Dublin airport and car hire at Embra airport. The optimist in me is hanging on to see what tomorrow brings. Stay safe and warm everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Zambian wrote: »
    After all my preparation,my gas bottle is frozen, nearly full bottle as well. Its a gas bottle Flo Gas for Hob inside. A work mate said that it most be frozen Any ideas what can be done. Wrapped a jacket around it ,but nothing else i can think of, never happened before ( obviously in West Cork its never cold enough) and never knew it could happen. Had a quick look on goolge but nothing helpful.

Does this have a regulator?try tapping it a bit . I’d say the issue lies there . I think gas has a very low freezing point so wouldn’t think it’s actually frozen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Happened me before, snow got into the regulator and then froze....unclip it and a kettle of boiling water will sort it out.
    Cover it then for rest of cold spell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Its not actually frozen. I think it is in fact failing to boil - in other words, the liquid gas has got so cold that it is no longer turning to gas gas, if you know what I mean?

Daz may be on to something though, it could be a tiny bit of moisture frozen in the regulator but if its Butane, its also likely that it is too cold to gas. Happened to me (also in West Cork) in 2010. Changed to using propane and havent had any problems since although propane is not as readily available and you need a spanner to change the bottle.

Only suggestion I have is if you can take off the drum and bring it in to the house for a few hours to "warm up" and then wrap the thing up when you put it back outside.
    Don't leave the bottle inside overnight or while the house is unattended and watch for a smell of gas and keep away from things like a fire etc.
    There's a reason that gas bottles are fitted outside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

absolutely covered here in cork (the Lough). Looks beautiful and no work till monday because of it ! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

Thanks to eveyone for the answer. Very helpful and panic over. Learning loads about weather and now gas bottles. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Heckler wrote: »
    absolutely covered here in cork (the Lough). Looks beautiful and no work till monday because of it ! :):)

If it's safe to and you are outside tomorrow morning, will you post a picture here?
    I love the Lough.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I’m supposed to be travelling to Newtown Mount Kennedy Co Wicklow tomorrow. I’m leaving from Midleton Co Cork at 8/9am via N25/M8/M7/M50/N11. Any idea if I should stay or go?

Planning similar route to get home tomorrow. There's a yellow warning until noon for a good bit of my journey, hoping to get back by 3pm before the next red one kicks in an hour later.
    They're main roads, so they should be cleared and gritted regularly and take it fairly handy in the bends. No travel warning against it yet from what I can see but check for updates before leaving and use vigilance when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://www.facebook.com/FlyCork/photos/a.704727646219594.1073741827.215464001812630/2335225613169781/?type=3&theater
    Temporary camp beds have been provided at Cork Airport to assist passengers stranded overnight due to severe weather.

28471301_2335225613169781_7690309033734578314_n.jpg?oh=9ee093a33607c96c9eb8590cc1b5244a&oe=5B041558

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Bread now officially worth more than Bitcoin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Aaaaand the next recession awaits.

So many places closed down for TWO WHOLE DAYS. Jayzis,

The employer federation or whatever the feck they are called will be saying we have to reduce wages now. Was a tough snowfall for all our industries. Etc.

Meanwhile Public Sector off no bother. But then again we pay for that. Not that I begrudge anyone a couple of days off from this.

I just hope anyone who is affected is paid. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

RobAMerc wrote: »
    anyone willing to hazard a guess at the chances of my flight going tomorrow at 8.30am ?

Id hoped the calm night and lack of snow might help. I know later flights are defo cancelled already.

the irony is I am supposed to be going skiing.

If you are flying from Dublin Airport, I highly doubt it, live not that far from the airport and it is still bucketing down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Red warning has gone nationwide, does that mean schools are shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Since it's a red alert all over the country will on colleges and schools be open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1823316591294064&set=gm.2094751264087589&type=3&theater
    #CorkFloods A tidal flood warning has been issued for #CorkCity over the next few days. Image: Eoin English/Examiner.

28378896_1823316591294064_6365418919451913296_n.jpg?oh=ebec63f5e0155a023d3d60f0325047e6&oe=5B47D627

When it rains it pours ... for CORK, Literally. This on top of snow and ice melting etc. Oh Joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

wooow we are getting one serious belt of snow here in swords,the ground is as it was this morning,and tonight we got a lot more,looking out now its like a blizzard,i will wake up to a serious pile of snow tomorrow..

Red warning has gone nationwide, does that mean schools are shut?
    lillielad wrote: »
    Since it's a red alert all over the country will on colleges and schools be open?

AFAIK, schools won't open with a red alert in effect. All schools in Munster are closed till Monday.

that is one serious amount of snow falling there

• Advertisement

strange when ya see te snow gathering on the window glass,i cant see out the windows,its serious ****

I live up a hill. There is a slightly steeper than average bit of road just before my house. A couple of hours ago I heard a fairly constant car engine sound outside, with a bit of revving. Looked outside and there was a car that couldn't make it and find traction. Before I could put on clothes to go out and see if there was any way to assist, they had decided to back down the hill.

I have been in that situation once myself and would have been having kittens at the thought of what might happen if the car started to slide.

I dug around in the shed and found a pot of de-icing salt I bought in lidl about 8 years ago and had a go sprinkling some of it on the obvious ice that had caused the problem.

I just went and had a look and there is now a good stretch of exposed road surface so it looks to have done the trick. -5° C with a bit of a breeze - brrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's now a nationwide red warning and all schools are closed for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

Pour warm water on it and shake the gas bottle. Same thing happened me today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do not put out the cat ...

anigif_enhanced-6427-1422295889-20.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

lillielad wrote: »

Can 99.9% guarantee they will be by morning, dept of education shut all in Munster and Leinster till Monday due to red alert, can imagine they will do the same early in the morning for the remainder of schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

WAIT A MINUTE

Surely the gas hasn't frozen ,and don't go near it with a hair-dryer!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't forget, this all has to melt at some stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

damo80 wrote: »
    Pour warm water on it and shake the gas bottle. Same thing happened me today

Yes place it in a bath of warm water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

blowing a gale and the air temperature at -4.4c , we are now entering penetrating frost pipe bursting territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Where did the wind come from all of a sudden in Kilkenny town? It didn't seem so windy earlier. Is this Emma showing her fangs already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Question- has any1 bought them yaktrax or any other brand of ice crampon thingys? They are all up in the onscreen ads the past few days! Cheap enough too.
    Might buy a pair to have again or would they be a waste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Serious, life-threatening conditions tomorrow 'tis pretty much a curfew from 4pm Thursday due to 'blizzard whiteout'.

There's even a red flashing symbol for the current nationwide red warning on RTE's webpage FluchZ9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

aurora 527 wrote: »
    And still snowing in Waterford with nothing showing on ME radar!

Are the conditions bad there? Im not too sure whether it is worth my drive to work or not. Id have to travel just over 60km to get into Watrford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Up for work as no word from them about shutting. Looking out the indie here in Rush looks okish but have to drive to Blanchatdstown. Anyone in that area let me know if it’s bad there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement