Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lads my wife has family stuck at the airport. If i knew she had gone to airport I would have advised against it. Need to get her to Clondalkin so she can stay til Saturday. What's the best way to get her here (no car)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Lads my wife has family stuck at the airport. If i knew she had gone to airport I would have advised against it. Need to get her to Clondalkin so she can stay til Saturday. What's the best way to get her here (no car)?

Taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Some absolute dopes on the roads. Was driving back into my garden in 2nd and taking it slow as it's a bit of a incline at first. Noticed a small van fly around the corner at opposite end of estate and completely lose control. Bounced into the path and then across the other side of the road into a parked car. Then a small enough truck comes around the corner fast and mounts the path, hits the wall and then across into the van that hit the parked car. Doesn't stop and continues down towards me. Mounts the path to go around the back of me as I had reversed to get a straight run at my garden. Both the vehicles are from well known businesses. Pity my car was straight as the dash cam would have picked it all up.

I had only took the same corner a minute earlier and was fine. All morning I had people up my hole while going up and down hills. Someone else undertook me into the bus lane and accelerated to get past me. Narrowly missed the back of me and he lost control and went up onto the grass verge.

Be careful if driving. Some absolute knob heads about. Only for a hospital appointment i'd have left it parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

Hi guys, flying back to Dublin airport from abroad soon. All the airport hotels seem to be booked out. Am I mad to be considering driving back to Laois this afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Hi guys, flying back to Dublin airport from abroad soon. All the airport hotels seem to be booked out. Am I mad to be considering driving back to Laois this afternoon?

Airport here is closed from 3pm until Saturday so I'd imagine your flight may be cancelled, best to look at hotels where you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Just went to town (Cork city) and it's pretty slippy! Mental queues in Lidl. I went in to get some eggs and walked straight out again, couldn't be arsed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Taxi

Not happening. No taxis have showed up for a long time. Cant mytaxi one either. Lad at the rank says there's little to no taxi service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,622 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Taxis only available for essential work today i.e. organ deliveries etc.
    That's according to their Union President, Mr Kearns, today on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Get a reservation at an airport hotel quick - one within walking distance and tell her to make tracks now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not happening. No taxis have showed up for a long time. Cant mytaxi one either. Lad at the rank says there's little to no taxi service

Try cab2000 in swords 018900900

• Advertisement

Get a reservation at an airport hotel quick - one within walking distance and tell her to make tracks now

All airport hotels completely booked out !

When feeding the birds, remember to spread the food far and wide.
    Some birds will take over and bully other smaller birds away when there is snow/ice.

I’ve stopped filling up the hanging feeders since yesterday and I’m just spreading food it everywhere I can now . They don’t seem to be feeding from the hanging feeders at all now, thinking the food could be frozen in them and the wind is so strong .

Trouble is I’ve every bird from seagulls, pigeons, crows, starlings and all the little ones too ! It’s hard and you just have to hope they’re all getting something.

I made homemade nut and seed balls, oatmeal and cheese, boiled potatoes chopped up with oil, soaked cat biscuits , no wonder I’ve so many of them !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭sadie9

All airport hotels completely booked out !

But the thing about the airport hotels is that someone may have booked and won't make it there tonight. So..maybe later on there would be cancellations? Worth ringing them back maybe, don't rely on just looking at online bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

The small birds are still using my hanging feeders, and also picking up the stuff that falls under them. They were joined by a rat yesterday - I suppose it has to live too. I started giving the rooks some dampened dog food yesterday, and that's going down well.

A surprise was a visit from a flock of redwings - hadn't seen any this winter, and wonder has the cold weather oushed tem west from Europe. They seemed to be happy picking through leaf litter but I gave them some of the dog food too, and I'll give them some apples tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

First redwind for e yesterday as well. have a blackcap visiting as well. Just been out uncovering the food as the snow hasnt stopped all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Some absolute dopes on the roads. Was driving back into my garden in 2nd and taking it slow as it's a bit of a incline at first. Noticed a small van fly around the corner at opposite end of estate and completely lose control. Bounced into the path and then across the other side of the road into a parked car. Then a small enough truck comes around the corner fast and mounts the path, hits the wall and then across into the van that hit the parked car. Doesn't stop and continues down towards me. Mounts the path to go around the back of me as I had reversed to get a straight run at my garden. Both the vehicles are from well known businesses. Pity my car was straight as the dash cam would have picked it all up.

I had only took the same corner a minute earlier and was fine. All morning I had people up my hole while going up and down hills. Someone else undertook me into the bus lane and accelerated to get past me. Narrowly missed the back of me and he lost control and went up onto the grass verge.

Be careful if driving. Some absolute knob heads about. Only for a hospital appointment i'd have left it parked up.

Let me guess... colonoscopy, was it??

Sorry, couldn't resist... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw this on FB today !!
    https://youtu.be/mxuVzLU1SOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Darwin wrote: »
    My elderly parents in Dublin have no water to their whole estate (and of course they made no provisions for bottled water). Some people from the council came along and tried to make repairs but left as the mains pipe was frozen solid. Really hope they don't lose their electricity overnight.

We are without water since this morning. We have no mains water, we have a well. Pipes are frozen solid. We live very rural. If the power goes too then we are completely goosed.

We did stock up on bottled water but as the weather looks like it is going to possibly dig in for a bit longer we had to go to Tesco today to get a heap more bottled water. It was some experience on the roads. We are in Kildare, been seriously heavy snow all day. Some people still driving like asshats. The wifes Nissan Micra, which I usually hate driving played a blinder today. It was unstoppable in about a foot of standing snow on back roads.

Waiting anxiously for the main event to come. I think the area is going to be impassable tomorrow (its nearly there already)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Drove to Galway from Castlebar @7.30am and just back now, zero issues. Its like driving at Xmas Day with no traffic. Was a dream.
    Red alert is over kill down here at the minute, schools have been open in much worse weather already this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Tzardine wrote: »
    We are without water since this morning. We have no mains water, we have a well. Pipes are frozen solid. We live very rural. If the power goes too then we are completely goosed.

We did stock up on bottled water but as the weather looks like it is going to possibly dig in for a bit longer we had to go to Tesco today to get a heap more bottled water. It was some experience on the roads. We are in Kildare, been seriously heavy snow all day. Some people still driving like asshats. The wifes Nissan Micra, which I usually hate driving played a blinder today. It was unstoppable in about a foot of standing snow on back roads.

Waiting anxiously for the main event to come. I think the area is going to be impassable tomorrow (its nearly there already)

Small light fwd cars with skinny tyres are the best things to be driving other than 4x4s etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Patww79 wrote: »

Schools and business could have made the decision themselves without this blank panic.
    Its not that hard to comprehend if you are down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

My wife was due to fly back to Dublin from London tomorrow but flights all canceled. What are the prospects for her getting in on Saturday? I was telling her to try get a flight in the evening, give the lads in Dublin airport a chance to clear runways, etc etc.

Would that be realistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

My wife was due to fly back to Dublin from London tomorrow but flights all canceled. What are the prospects for her getting in on Saturday? I was telling her to try get a flight in the evening, give the lads in Dublin airport a chance to clear runways, etc etc.

Would that be realistic?

all ryanair flights and aer lingus flights are stopped at DUB and the majority of irish airports now afaik until Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Rural North Galway has many icy roads +heavy snow showers in places. Red is justified around here for sure in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭adocholiday

all ryanair flights and aer lingus flights are stopped at DUB and the majority of irish airports now afaik until Saturday.

Yeah she was due to fly back tomorrow but her flight is canceled. She's wondering if she should rebook for Saturday or would it be better to rebook for Sunday? I take it there's still a lot of uncertainty about the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Anyone think driving from Navan to Clondalkin will be OK tomorrow? Looking for an update as conflicting reports online. Looking to leave at 4.30PM or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

My wife is heavily pregnant. Unlikely to go into labor in next 48 hours, but could happen. If she did go into labor, should we call ambulance (is one likely to come)? Attempt to drive? Something else?

We are in Rathfarnham and would need to get to city centre.

We have a Peugeot 207 (front 2 wheel drive), and have snow socks for it for whatever that's worth.

Obviously people shouldn't go out on the roads if they don't have to; but if you do have to, how dangerous is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

fergalr wrote: »
    My wife is heavily pregnant. Unlikely to go into labor in next 48 hours, but could happen. If she did go into labor, should we call ambulance (is one likely to come)? Attempt to drive? Something else?

We have a Peugeot 207 (front 2 wheel drive), and have snow socks for it for whatever that's worth.

Obviously people shouldn't go out on the roads if they don't have to; but if you do have to, how dangerous is it?

You should not attempt to drive as you could get stuck . Ring an ambulance once the midwife says its time to come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I’m in the same boat, would be calling ambulance but would drive if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

A few medical experts also on here who should be able to give you some advice .......... Best of luck to both you and your wife though, what two amazing memories to have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Well the army are on stand by for emergencies, Maybe if you ring an ambulance they might get them to come if needed. You'll probably get better advice then this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yes you will be looked after , but Emergency services arrival maybe delayed so take a cautious approach , if you think it may be happening make the call , best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

When my cousin was ready to give birth, her and the husband hopped in the car to head to hospital. Events overtook them and that baby was coming... They headed to nearest nursing home as they knew there'd be medically trained staff there. To be fair they were in deepest, darkest Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Is it first baby? If so labour can be longer so keep her calm and count time between contractions...... dont panic her , dont do all the things that bring on labour (sex spicy food, panic) google delivering a baby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

dharma200 wrote: »
    Is it first baby? If so labour can be longer so keep her calm and count time between contractions...... dont panic her , dont do all the things that bring on labour (sex spicy food, panic) google delivering a baby :)

No ideal but my OH is a 911 operator and paramedic... if you needed to you can 100% do it at home over the phone... that that this will happen but no one will die if it does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Extended RTE 6 1 has just ended, and it would seem that Met are about to extend the length of the RED alert for tomorrow to now finish at 18:00, presumably because of the time they feel will be needed to allow for some clear up after the worst of the Emma effects have ended, as they earlier reduced it from 1500 to 1200. The other possibility is that there will still be snow falling from the secondary centres of the system coming up from Biscay

RTE were giving the wrong time at the start of the news, they'd overlooked the reduction from 1500 to 1200, but that's now looking less important, as they specifically covered that the time period is being extended again.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

30 rough sleepers have refused to go inside tonight in dublin....absolute nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RustyGate

M50 at 5pm today
    Imagine what it is like being the first car through after a fresh fall of snow completely obstructing the road markings, just a white blanket from one side to the other with no tire tracks..

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat, would be calling ambulance but would drive if needed.

the army are assisting . you can call it Noel or Noelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

greasepalm wrote: »
    infrastructure i like that like the rotting voting machines which will never get used,if we spent 10 million of snow ploughs and many other things how many times would we see it used.we dont get this weather every year but what the future brings may change.
    2 or 3 years ago the NRA bought 40 (I think) purpose built snow plows, they are the orange ones you see going around gritting a lot of the time. They were all bought through Irish Commercials in Naas and some company in Birr I think were building them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Will all businesses shut down again tomorrow? I'm referring to those that operate in the evening time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Electricity just gone in south Dublin.

Doubt the esb will be out to fix it anytime soon :pac:

What area? that's not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What part?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Will they be treating roads tomorrow morning? Have to drive from Dublin to Wexford tomorrow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The traffic cams around the country showing that most of the main routes in the south east and east are snowed under or getting there. Stay off the roads if at all possible folks

Advertisement