Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The traffic cams around the country showing that most of the main routes in the south east and east are snowed under or getting there. Stay off the roads if at all possible folks

Gritting crews were stopping between 4 and 8pm from a few different reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

No ideal but my OH is a 911 operator and paramedic... if you needed to you can 100% do it at home over the phone... that that this will happen but no one will die if it does.

I had two babies on my bedroom floor, you dont have to tell me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Went for a short spin down the quays in Dublin CC, traction was zero in many places - worst road grip I've ever experienced in Dublin. These ice pellets are actually accumulating quickly.

Poor bmw drivers getting stuck at traffic lights after having the gall to overtake in these conditions ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

sdanseo wrote: »
    Gritting crews were stopping between 4 and 8pm from a few different reports.

I saw a gritting crew on the N4 at Lucan at 9:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

What area? that's not good

Outages in Harold's Cross & most recently Rathfarnham judging by the powercheck map. Estimated restore time is 8pm tomorrow, presume that's just worst case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Surinam wrote: »
    Went for a short spin down the quays in Dublin CC, traction was zero in many places - worst rosd grip I've ever experienced in Dublin. These ice pellets are actually accumulating quickly.

Poor bmw drivers getting stuck at traffic lights after having the gall to overtake in these conditions ;)

My BMW has been firmly parked since yesterday morning. Tried to get out of the estate and failed. I looked at the hill, thought about it, even thought about trying the snow socks...then thought better of it.

Have since put about 50kg of stuff into the boot and the fuel tank is full so between that and the socks should be able to move in an emergency, but won't be trying unless absolutely needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Newbridge to Naas road blocked by snow
    2 ambulances and one fire engine got stuck in road

Road is now impassable

Naas/ Newbridge full on blizzard and driving conditions are incredibly dangerous

Anyone driving or attempting to drive an ordinary car in these conditions is insane

This is everything they said and more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Tobinjl91 wrote: »
    worst thing about the blackout in D6 is I have no idea if its snowing or not now that the streetlamps are out :pac:

Where? I'm very near tesco in Terenure but our electricity is on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

raven136 wrote: »
    Newbridge to Naas road blocked by snow
    2 ambulances and one fire engine got stuck in road

Road is now impassable

Naas/ Newbridge full on blizzard and driving conditions are incredibly dangerous

Anyone driving or attempting to drive an ordinary car in these conditions is insane

This is everything they said and more

Was out around 11 o'clock in Newbridge, roads were horrible, luckily I was in a big 4x4 jeep but even still we slid the whole way around the town, about 3 cm's on the main street. In fairness we didn't meet anybody else, which is good because driving out in anything less than a 4x4 would be asking for a crash.

Can't imagine what the roads will be like come daylight, hope nobody's planning on commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Read on the RTE news tracker that some idiots are trapped in their cars around Dublin. Gardai have told them to keep their engines running until emergency services get to them.

You could never advise some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Anyone have any idea how to fix a flue fault on the heating ?

Flue faces directly east so I suspect frozen fan or something

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyone have any idea how to fix a flue fault on the heating ?

Was going to suggest you try Plumbing & Heating Forum....but I see you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was going to suggest you try Plumbing & Heating Forum....but I see you have.

Cheers, and thanks for putting it in the right thread :)

Once it calms down I can use a hair dryer straight down the flue, no chance of me being able to do it at the moment though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Well, technically if you're a danger to yourself or others, you can be taken in for assessment.

Attempting to sleep rough in those conditions, when you are being presented with much better alternatives, is really, really dangerous and unnecessarily so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

When the power came back on in our apartment at 2am it has been making a loud buzzing noise, like an engine almost. No idea what this means and our management company are unlikely to be able to help today. Does anyone know whether this is serious and also how to fix it (if we turn off the electricity would that be the best bet until we get someone to come and look at it?). Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

go around all your items as i had many things come on like sat boxes sauna and other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

OmegaGene wrote: »
    What’s making the buzzing sound ?

The fuse box. I went through the different switches and established one of them must be faulty from the power outage as the buzzing stopped when I switched it off. Luckily it’s only the power to one of the heaters so can definitely live without that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi, should we be shovelling snow away from the sides of the house before the thaw?
    I have external insulation and an worried that water do a lot of damage.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Might be an idea for anyone with a footpath outside their house in a wet snow area to clear a narrow path now before it freezes over tonight.
    Not much point doing this if you're in Kildare or a windy dry snow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Guys, would any of you have a feeling about flights tomorrow morning? Hubby really needs to get to London if at all possible. Do you think it’ll be likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Hi guys

I am in an estate and the gates are all open and the roads are clear. It's a new estate though and we have no neighbours. I am in a bit of a slope and because of that there is thick snow behind my car making it inaccessible.

Does anyone know what I should do, when to expect a thaw and whether i should just start digging? I have a few people depending on me right now and am alone with them.. so it's completely up to me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zoeemma95

Hey all! Got a flight scheduled to leave at 7.40 tomorrow from dublin airport, any tips on how to get there? Taxis seem overwhelmed so can't rely on that, Dublin coach is supposed to run at 4.15 tomorrow from dundrum but don't fully trust that either, is anyone heading out there from dundrum ish area that would be willing to carpool? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zoeemma95

zoeemma95 wrote: »
    Hey all! Got a flight scheduled to leave at 7.40 tomorrow from dublin airport, any tips on how to get there? Taxis seem overwhelmed so can't rely on that, Dublin coach is supposed to run at 4.15 tomorrow from dundrum but don't fully trust that either, is anyone heading out there from dundrum ish area that would be willing to carpool? :)

Alternatively does anyone know a good place to hitch there? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 busterp

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Hi, should we be shovelling snow away from the sides of the house before the thaw?
    I have external insulation and an worried that water do a lot of damage.
    Thanks

Would like to know this too so I can get a headstart on it if necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I dont think i would risk relying on bus to be running that early in the morn, still snowing quiet heavy so id say it could be late morning / early afternoon before any public transport running. Have you been in touch with your airline? Is your flight still scheduled to go? Worst case scenario get taxi out there later tonight and sleep in airport - not ideal but at least you be there on time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.fm104.ie/the-buzz/planning-on-driving-here-s-the-latest-on-dublin-r/

Many roads still impassable so check before heading off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

busterp wrote: »
    Would like to know this too so I can get a headstart on it if necessary

Me too.

• Advertisement

as its still snowing in places it may hamper emergency services with snow ploughs and gritters and large drifts with roads closed,keep checking news and forums for updates,maybe no flights from airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

How likely is it there will be flights leaving on Sunday from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Weather forum right now.

Kudos to all who have contributed over the last few day, both with the forcasts,
    and the updates, hopfully the next 24hrs things improve for them worst affected.
    Currently Active Users
    1425 (562 members & 863 guests)

Mint Sauce, Jorda 12, MANUTD99, aidanodr, gerrybhoy, Strong Life in Dublin, ardinn, Colibri, christy c, tscul32, yrrag1974, SleetAndSnow, david75, Snowbiee21, Searchers, Flippyfloppy, eh i dunno, WhiteMemento9, Surinam, eoneill, Get Real, hippyreject, bobbygirl, greenfield21, Cows Go µ, glossy, loughside, Kingrosie, digiman, slogging...it, sryanbruen, MoeJay, tigerboon, smallgarden, donal.hunt, MotoringAlong, Graham, Lemsiper, yellowlabrador, Juppie, Mam of 4, thecretinhop, Don't Chute!, Enzokk, RuthieRose, kittyn, Rougies, jay28, DOCARCH, scotindublin, xabi, goose06, phenomenalcat, stevenup7002, stephenjmcd, Straffan1979, mugsymugsy, The Mulk, Funnyonion79, TitianGerm, MelanieC, ongarboy, Sierra Oscar, strawdog, typhoony, sweetmaggie, Lackey, milosh, jo06555, cian1500ww, osheen, Gizit, narwog81, mumo3, R.F., munsterlegend, Ziggywhite, revelman, Silent night, dave oc, SevenAte9, that_other_guy, hot buttered scones, vizualpics, Grudle, Safiri, AAAAAAAAA, koheim, Luke-m, budgie412, Alan70, Alfred Borden, JanuarySnowstor, SDKev, Supercell, D.Q, fjon, rachaelf750, Mrs Shuttleworth, HomeCeltic, chud1234, wazzer1, rainbowdrop, Mafra, Aaronh86, mower, kevin2800, Twiki, Cushtie, Joe Kname, BLIZZARD7, boru05, pegasus1, jp101, netbeatz, Riomhaire, sasasnow, Takca, Gaz, oisingeogho, djhaxman, kenon, Colser, Lashes28, NASlad, buzsywuzsy, Madhatter111, busterp, melmoth77, P1nkr0ses, cscook, Kaylami, BottleOfSmoke, Stargate, Drumorig, megatron989, EAD, YanSno, Phoenix3, roddy15, Topgear on Dave, Petal765, ExcaliburRisen, Slattsy, noble00, Dank Janniels, kerrycork13, Van.Bosch, spookwoman, gabeeg, Frankie Lee, newbie2, sdanseo, hellyeah, MouseTail, Burlap_Sack, haminka, emilianul, rabwaygal, hhmmm?, marno21, Michelle_b, Samash, fifi28, nemonoid, Aruba08, MissElle, uphillonly, _Puma_, Ros1234, Happy_Harry, Heckler, Shred, Totofan99, elperello, Charles Babbage, rodge123, Pawack, Wexfordboy89, BigBrownBear, MAXFANTANA, Sir montygom, snowstreams, patsypantaloni, tenbob1, WhiteRoses, jonny_b, internet_user, Daxve, Sereneone, davemcmahon, East Beast 18, Nibs05, JokerD, deadduck, Staph, mrsWhippy, spoonerhead, Route1, mountainy man, Keisha07, TECH85, eigrod, DiscoStu, Artfu1Dodger, brettmirl, joe40, Oscar Bravo, Coffee n chocs, RustyGate, Grim., hoody, crutches0811, mangobob, Knine, Eds, antodeco, Mr_A, snor, buster180, White_hills, peter1892, Indestructable, crownhill, Brown Podzol, Hooks Golf Handicap, IrishPhoenix, delop, interlocked, Cul a cnoic, Kur4mA, jds0ur, Vudgie, moonshadow, Thar_Cian, licklelee5, dinky earnshaw, alastair, anto77, Daniel2590, Ross94, kona, NAGDEFI, Tickityboo, slavedave, 17larsson, adocholiday, Bejubby, sparrowcar, Mumser, Johnnysneachta, 17-pdr, BabysCoffee, FuzzyZoeller, Artane2002, lisafahey, irelandspurs, piplip87, Somedude9, sunsetbeachfan, tomh66, gally74, citycentre, Sweet Jones, Strumms, erica74, Greensoup, Snowbie, laura_ac3, MrFinishLine, D9Male, ionapaul, NeonCookies, Slimity, Tobinjl91, richieffff, Donegal Storm, wonski, user_name_d, SEPT 23 1989, KingdomRushed, tinner777, Blut2, MICKEYG, harr, ArdRi71, Garfin, shmaupel, irishrover99, ghostchant, lilmissprincess, Bio Mech, gilmour, FFred, Dev1234, polydactyl, PirateShampoo, Victor Meldrew, reap-a-rat, Sirted, deco nate, CianRyan, mirrorwall14, MJohnston, coffeyt, NeonSquares, Grandeeod, How Strange, redarmy, Rain Ascending, NMB, roganjosh, Lawnmo, Casualsingby, Shiny, kaisersose77, scary, davidsr20, Slashermcguirk, Decuc500, hairyslug, MurDawg, toodleytoo, BillyBobBS, Kiith, red_bairn, divil_a_bit, rubberduckey, torres9kop, noobsnow95, alroley, lolie, dfx-, John.Icy, djivide_, John Hutton, Jojo37, novarock, The tax man, crow242, supersean1999, TeaCup2, Tom Cruises Left Nut, AndyP, nullObjects, yoji101, bluedoor27, frisbeeface, tooth*grinder, oterra, TheBody, Working class heroes, eguiney, Ninthlife, boomtown1, minalaury, muddypaws, Beanybabog, jacksie66, brian_m, davidglanza, dashoonage, Flika, hesker, Uaz, optiplex780, LightningBlue, daragh_, Gavlor, Gee_G, V1, the1andonly1, Irish Steve, thomasj, Delboy2015, dan786, Arthur Daley, coconnellz, ricimaki, morgana, abacus120, littlecottage, bennyl10, SimonMaher, little bess, Miz., NinjaTruncs, one world order, shivermetimber, Assetbacked, ciaran76, Braonain, Arcady, Xenji, micks, caviardreams, vickers209, blah, breadmond, MobyDick, RandomAccess, RunnerDub, jirafa, crushproof, mrskinner, Ultimate Seduction, prinzeugen, fman, Bulmers, finnharpsboy, obriebm, dubred, Mr Velo, stalking_zebra, ChunLi, scurran19, thebiglad, Lucreto, Squeaksoutloud, Coeus, vestanpance, natc, RiseToMe, petrichor, mickmackey1, MaccaTacca, ilovetorun, alta stare, franglan, C__MC, vard, SpitfireIV, average_runner, prettyboybaker, pc7, irishgeo, Mocha Joe, Bonzo Delaney, andrew, Comhra, diceyd, nimrod86, Humour Me, nermal15, Lenny5, smeal, dar_cool, nerrad1983, homolumo, tromtipp, jprboy, Tim the Enchanter, Saganist, SeaBreezes, lonestargirl, rosiem, Sieghardt, Naos, markjbloggs, Mac-Chops, ps200306, Pacing Mule, gumgum1, Heno1167, oleras, derekbro, wrestlemaniac, SweetCaliber, tunguska, flipsky, Keith186, zara100, fmul9798, road_high, Shane12, kc56, Rochey18, Nuno, Equium, Oneiric 3, hawkelady, SilverPenney, sboyle01, Basil3, Hyblaeus, Frostybrew, RoryMac, Thebeast078, davi31, Pretzill, JMNolan, Lu Tze, Manitoban, gooseman3, Habitual, fm, dmc100, wolf tonedeaf, Bertser, moeblogs, cajonlardo, accensi0n, gazz, Neamhshuntasach, TriFirst, OSI, James Bond Junior, josip, fritzelly, daphil

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gettoairport

I am in South Dublin and need to be in the airport for 4am.

Anybody any ideas how to get there?

No public transport, no aircoach, can't get a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

check for cancellations if it is a flight you are getting. They have just announced further cancellations

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd check your flight status first. Mostly cancellations for flights before 11am tomorrow.

• Advertisement

i think sleeping in your own bed be better,not holding up much hope for early opening

Graham wrote: »
    I'd check your flight status first. Mostly cancellations for flights before 11am tomorrow.

So far it is still scheduled

It's a 6:15 flight. How long will/can they leave it before cancelling?

So far it is still scheduled

It's a 6:15 flight. How long will/can they leave it before cancelling?

What airline? Ryanair and Aer Lingus already announced dozens of flights cancelled.

Graham wrote: »
    What airline? Ryanair and Aer Lingus already announced dozens of flights cancelled.

Ryanair, so far it is still saying scheduled on their website and I haven't been contacted to say its cancelled.

I presume it is still coming down strong out in the airport

Ryanair, so far it is still saying scheduled on their website and I haven't been contacted to say its cancelled.

I presume it is still coming down strong out in the airport

Looking at the M50 Dublin Airport traffic cam now on https://www.tiitraffic.ie/cams/

It's not looking good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dublin bus still saying they are up and running tomorrow morning. No exact times given of when they will start, where they will service, what kind of limited service they will run. Looking at the weather, current and forecasted, it seems crazy to think it will run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures

Currently only Barcelona and Lisbon are scheduled for 6.15

6.15 to Lisbon cancelled

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

maebee wrote: »
    Currently only Barcelona and Lisbon are scheduled for 6.15

6.15 to Lisbon cancelled

Barcelona cancelled now. That's my flight

Been cancelled now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

Barcelona cancelled now. That's my flight

You could go to Lanzarote at 6.25 :):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Chainsaw trousers are great in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Can anyone tell me why their was only 720 army personnel deployed during the the storm. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this number)
    Seriously what else are they used for in this country.

They could help with food deliveries and road clearance in the major town and cites,

If Emma hadn't stalled, can you imagine how bad things would have been.

How many full time army do we have in the country?

I'm not slagging them off personally but all I see them do all year is provide escorts for the president, criminals going to court and money going to/ from the mint in the sandyford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

piplip87 wrote: »
    Stockholm more than likely has infrastructure clearing equipment that is a good investment due to to frequency of snow there.

Would such an investment be value for money here, where major snow events happen maybe once a decade ? IMO you cannot compare Ireland with any snowy nation.

Well it's a numbers game, how much money do you want to spend on emergency committees, closed businesses and shutting down the country in general? Versus the cost of preparing for it in case it happens. I'm from a Nordic country and we get this kind of 'emergency' 2-5 months a year. Every year, not just 1947, 1982, 2010 and 2018. In Ireland a 3-day winter is a national crisis. I've no problem with the government's reaction to the winter, it seemed to be very well handled. It's just that the money can be spent in other ways as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement