Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Ban

Options
  • 24-02-2018 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a joke in the humour thread. Got a 24 hour ban for "chat". It wasn't chat, it was a joke. As is the point of the thread.

Ive messaged the person who handed out the ban twice, no reponse.

Clearly, I want it lifted as it's without merit. But more importantly I would like the thought proccess behind the ban explained.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hi Kirby

I'm not trying to be smart here, but the thread title is:

The Humour Thread **Chat/Discussion = 24 Hour Ban, Mod Notes Post 1 (26/11)

Post 1 (referred to in the thread title) says:
    From here on in there is a NO chat rule and it will be enforced with a 24 hour ban, repeat offenders will be given a longer ban. You will not be carded and the ban will not effect the current cards = bans mechanism in the Soccer Forum, take it as a slap on the wrist.

Its really simple, keep this thread to Pics, Videos, Gifs and Quotations.

If you want to put in a piece of text with your post of Pics, Videos, Gifs and Quotations, thats fine but there's going to be a zero tolerancy on chat, lets try keep this chat free please.

If you still think it's unfair, please contact the mod as per the graphic at the top of the forum and try and resolve it there. If the mod refuses, come back here and a CMod will take a look at it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I posted a joke. It's not chat.

I didn't go in and ask if Messi was better than Ronaldo or ask who everyone thinks is going to win the league.......I posted a joke about De Gea leaving for Madrid.

Are you honestly telling me if I had posted the same joke in a gif format suddenly it would be okay? With a straight face you are telling me that?

It isn't being overturned and yes I want it looked at. The mods justification was, and I quote here,
    MrMac84 wrote:
    It leads to follow up jokes which will lead to more sniping at each other.

So he even admits it there. It was a joke. And he claims it might lead to follow up jokes! In the Joke thread! Oh the humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, I'll let the CMods know.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't see the point of pursuing this since the ban is expired now?

I realise it might seem pointless Mickeroo and a waste of your time. I get that.

But from my point of view I posted a joke in the joke thread, the United fans got their jimmies rustled, and I got banned for "chat".

It wasn't chat....it was a bloody joke. If I have to go into paint and put the same joke on a white background gif to escape being banned.....what does that say about the supposed rules of the humour thread?

It's all so bloody petty. I'd like it looked at please.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No I agree it was probably harsh in that you were just making a humourous quip rather than trying to derail the thread or whine about your team being picked on (which I think is the actual sort of thing the no chat rule is supposed to prevent).

The issue is I have no way to retro-actively remove the ban from your profile that I'm aware of though.

If it can't be removed thats fine I guess. I believe I read somewhere that a note can be left on an infraction. I appreciate it nontheless.

Even if thats not possible perhaps the mod in question could be asked not to ban people just making a joke in the joke thread. Because as it stands, whats stopping him from banning me again if I post a joke he doesn't like? He insisted 4 times via PM that my joke wasn't a joke. Humour doesn't work like that.

Just because you don't find it funny doesn't make it less of a joke. And it got thanks before it was removed so clearly I'm not the only one to find it funny.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just going to step in here as I dealt with a similar situation when I was CMod, upholding a ban, but it was overturned at Admin level

I think there is an issue with responding in any way to a post in that thread, as that can always be interpreted as "chat" even if it had humorous intent. I would encourage the Soccer Mods to look at the rule as it may be simpler to ban anyone responding to another post, with whatever humour may be intended, as that takes away any doubt.

In the present case Kirby, I'm going to overturn the ban as I can see there was humorous intent behind it (as happened in the appeal I dealt with as a CMod). It cannot be removed from your record (except via one of the Site Development team), but I can make a note on your account that it was overturned in DRP. This will have the appearance of a warning, but the wording will make it clear that it's not

Well thats more than I was expecting.

Thank you both for the fairness shown here. It's appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement