Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry neighbour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

True, apartments in Ireland are poorly sound/vibration insulated but there is nothing worse than kids playing on wood floors above, especially bouncing balls or running around. The sounds seem to get magnified and can be really irritating for people who want peaceful living at home.

The management company in my apartment once rang and said that there had been a complaint about me playing "mini golf" in my apartment and I was to cease and desist immediately or face the consequences

Of course I had no idea what they were talking about and told them so. That weekend I was having a lie in and could hear the sound of a rolling ball on the wooden floors of the apartment next door. It was caused by a child playing with a ball.

I called back the management company to say I had located the source of the complaint. Their response was "ah well, sure what can you do about a child playing and making noise"

Naturally I was very annoyed at this comment, seems its ok for a chid to play ball games, but not me!

The neighbours were eventually asked to put in mats or carpets to deaden the sounds

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Caranica wrote: »
    Any modern apartment development I know strictly prohibits wooden floors in apartments. The op has been asked twice in this thread if they have wooden floors but they have not answered the question.
    First I've ever heard of this. Don't think I've ever seen an apartment in Ireland without wooden floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Okay, I'll help clear this up for the OP, I've had this issue and sorted it.
    Neighbours could her my daughter running around like a lunatic during the day and kept quiet for months but eventually came up and said it to me, nicely.

The easy way I solved it was to buy a pair of soft slippers with rubber grips on them for the child AND I bought those big blue sponge tiles in smyths toystore and covered the kitchen come living area with them.

Problem solved.

Folks it's not unreasonable for people to get fed up of listening to a child run around constantly above them. Especially if it's a new thing that they didn't have to deal with all along. I'm a respectful person and no only too well what a bit of peace and quiet can mean, I had 6 months of Brazilians living above me so I know very well about being driven mad.

We don't wear shoes in the apartment, and since I got my baba wearing those soft slippers and put down those soft tiles down the problem is solved.

Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

I have heard my neighbours parties often but can block the noise out, they have no idea the impact their parties have and seem confused why everyone doesn't do the same amount of drinking at home every weekend with their loud friends.

I think any dialogue you have with a neighbour is helpful long term, even just hello makes it easier if there are any issues down the line.

These days people don't have the option to move at will and often do have to put up with excessive noise.

I keep a diary of any really excessive noise.

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Any modern apartment development I know strictly prohibits wooden floors in apartments. The op has been asked twice in this thread if they have wooden floors but they have not answered the question.

The last two places I lived had wooden floors above us.
    italodisco wrote: »
    The easy way I solved it was to buy a pair of soft slippers with rubber grips on them for the child AND I bought those big blue sponge tiles in smyths toystore and covered the kitchen come living area with them.

The OP neighbour just moved in and was immediately angry. That is a bit unreasonable.
    The foam playmats i am thinking of, wouldn't cover much area without having to fork out a bit. Would want to be sure it worked first. But i agree, it should definitely help. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-and-electronic-learning/foam-playmats/c/SM06010312

Could make slippers out of them or these .. :)
    https://makeanddocrew.com/crochet-slippers-flip-flops-free-pattern/

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    The last two places I lived had wooden floors above us.

The OP neighbour just moved in and was immediately angry. That is a bit unreasonable.
    The foam playmats i am thinking of, wouldn't cover much area without having to fork out a bit. Would want to be sure it worked first. But i agree, it should definitely help. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-and-electronic-learning/foam-playmats/c/SM06010312

Could make slippers out of them or these .. :)
    https://makeanddocrew.com/crochet-slippers-flip-flops-free-pattern/

You can buy them from alibaba.com too for very little.

The ones I got are the large blue ones, the regular ones are only A4 size, way too small

Just have a few down this eve but these are the ones I use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

italodisco wrote: »
    Neighbours could her my daughter running around like a lunatic during the day and kept quiet for months but eventually came up and said it to me, nicely.

Problem solved.

Folks it's not unreasonable for people to get fed up of listening to a child run around constantly above them. Especially if it's a new thing that they didn't have to deal with all along. I'm a respectful person and no only too well what a bit of peace and quiet can mean, I had 6 months of Brazilians living above me so I know very well about being driven mad.

We don't wear shoes in the apartment, and since I got my baba wearing those soft slippers and put down those soft tiles down the problem is solved.

Worth a try.

you've restored some of my faith in humanity. if only people would just speak nicely to eachother and help eachother, even if one party doesn't know how to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Seems fair by the judge. The defendants did nothing to try compromise or rectify the situation and so were found to be at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

People should never wear shoes in apartments, especially with wooden floors. In other countries with a history of apartnent living, this is the norm.

True, apartments in Ireland are poorly sound/vibration insulated but there is nothing worse than kids playing on wood floors above, especially bouncing balls or running around. The sounds seem to get magnified and can be really irritating for people who want peaceful living at home.

Its a good suggestion to go downstairs and experience your kid at full tilt upstairs so you have an idea what its like.

Socks/slippers and rugs help a lot.. and keep ball games for the park.

i would agree with this poster. people are different, some folk don't mind noise at all, some find it strangely comforting. some detest it. i assume your new neighbour falls into the latter category. nothing to be gained from a tit for tat battle except some short-term satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

OP, Is this your neighbor?

Heckle.png

On a serious note, log everything & let your landlord know how unreasonable she is being. The landlord is better off hearing from you that there is an issue before the neighbor complains & makes out you are running kids tap dancing classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

We had this issues. Little ball of energy lived upstairs and seemed to run all the time.

How I dealt with was....Acceptance, it’s life, I live in an apt. Ppl are so precious. If he was doing it in metal clogs at 3am that’s different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

polydactyl wrote: »
    We had this issues. Little ball of energy lived upstairs and seemed to run all the time.

How I dealt with was....Acceptance, it’s life, I live in an apt. Ppl are so precious. If he was doing it in metal clogs at 3am that’s different

This is boards. Where an inordinate number of people think kids are worse than Hitler and they tell you that they don’t plan on having kids at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

awec wrote: »
    First I've ever heard of this. Don't think I've ever seen an apartment in Ireland without wooden floors.

Very common and there was an epic thread here a few years ago with someone who ended up suing their management company who failed to enforce the lease clause about wooden floors, they were being tormented by noise from above. Iirc they won in court too.

Edit :this article from the UK in today's papers. £100k in damages awarded to man living below wooden floors.

Noisy neighbours must pay banker €112k in compensation because their floors had no carpet, judge rules

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/noisy-neighbours-must-pay-banker-112k-in-compensation-because-their-floors-had-no-carpet-judge-rules-36672512.html

Very common and there was an epic thread here a few years ago with someone who ended up suing their management company who failed to enforce the lease clause about wooden floors, they were being tormented by noise from above. Iirc they won in court too.

Edit :this article from the UK in today's papers. £100k in damages awarded to man living below wooden floors.

Noisy neighbours must pay banker €112k in compensation because their floors had no carpet, judge rules

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/noisy-neighbours-must-pay-banker-112k-in-compensation-because-their-floors-had-no-carpet-judge-rules-36672512.html
    Not in my experience. The link is the UK too, not Ireland?

My last apartment had no rules at all about floors, my current one just says no high heels on wooden floors. I think of all my friends apartments, every single one has wooden flooring in at least one room.

Genuinely not trying to be smart, but I don't think I've ever been in an apartment in Ireland that was carpeted throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

My last apartment had no rules at all about floors, my current one just says no high heels on wooden floors. I think of all my friends apartments, every single one has wooden flooring in at least one room.

Genuinely not trying to be smart, but I don't think I've ever been in an apartment in Ireland that was carpeted throughout.
    min is, the whole building of 20 apt is, Dub 8

Also a few building I've been in Dub7 are also all carpeted, including stairs :S

I would prefer wooden floors though, and normal neighbors, with quite kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've only ever owned in one block of apartments.

Our 'ground' floor kitchen / living / entrance (we were on top, duplex with attic) was concrete, as was the apartment below (ground floor so obviously concrete).

I know little about apartment construction in Ireland, but timber floors between apartments? So in the event of a fire, the fire just roars upstairs to the next apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

I live in a apartment. Only ground floor apts are allowed have wooden floors here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mine is also carpeted throughout as are all my neighbours as far as I know. Rule is standard across apartment developments in this area and I know some in Dublin 2, 6, 8 and 24 with the rule too.

I know the link I posted was UK, I said that in my post but there definitely was a long running thread on here maybe 2 years ago about an owner suing the management company and winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The apartment leases I have read generally preclude flooring unless laid together with sound deadening material. Some people incorrectly view that as a general moratorium on wooden (or indeed tiled) floors.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The apartment leases I have read generally preclude flooring unless laid together with sound deadening material. Some people incorrectly view that as a general moratorium on wooden (or indeed tiled) floors.
    That makes more sense.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I've only ever owned in one block of apartments.

Our 'ground' floor kitchen / living / entrance (we were on top, duplex with attic) was concrete, as was the apartment below (ground floor so obviously concrete).

I know little about apartment construction in Ireland, but timber floors between apartments? So in the event of a fire, the fire just roars upstairs to the next apartment?
    The structural flooring between floors will be concrete.

People mean wooden floors that you put down instead of carpet. Not wooden floorboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

There's a lad down in cork might be able to make this problem disappear so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The structural flooring between floors will be concrete.

People mean wooden floors that you put down instead of carpet. Not wooden floorboards.

I really didn't think the sound would penetrate through concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d be telling her in no uncertain terms to rev up and fcuk off with her big ears.kids make noise that’s life.its not like the child is blasting music at 3 in the morning and kicking holes in the wall at a House party.
    Carry on as normal and if she bothers you again tell her you will be reporting her for harassment and tell her not to contact you again.cut her off the b1tch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Excuse my French but these new neighbours of yours sound like right c*nts. Have they never lived in an apartment before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

you have no understanding of sound transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Saw a similar issue on a different forum recently. New owner downstairs renter upstairs. Owner took a long term view after a couple of soundchecks and the discovery of a severe lack of soundproofing. She stripped back the ceiling soundproofed and reskimmed the ceiling. When there were still minor issues she invited landlord in to observe noise level for themselves and landlord agreed to replace cheap carpet upstairs with a better quality underlay & carpet. Problem solved and no-one fell out over it

Advertisement