Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MURDER IN SLIGO

Options
  • 24-02-2018 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Sadly another waste of another life in Sligo this afternoon, what's this town coming to? that's the second murder on that street!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

It's very sad. My father knows the family. The 20 year old victim was a few years behind me in secondary school. He was a very genuine fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

I since heard that he was the victim of an aggravated robbery, such a waste of a young life, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Poor fella, I never knew him but condolences to his family and friends ♡

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sligostandard

God bless him and his family, may they find peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just read the story, shocking. May he RIP.

And I hope the full force of the law comes down on the guilty person. There has to be satisfactory punishment for people who commit these acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just read the story, shocking. May he RIP.

And I hope the full force of the law comes down on the guilty person. There has to be satisfactory punishment for people who commit these acts.

Worked well last time...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/jury-discharged-after-failing-to-agree-verdict-in-sligo-murder-trial-1.3307475

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Black Bart wrote: »
    Sadly another waste of another life in Sligo this afternoon, what's this town coming to? that's the second murder on that street!!

When was the previous one?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

prodsc wrote: »
    When was the previous one?

In the last couple of years up the MCR, only a few minutes walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I think OP may have been referring to the gentleman who died as a result of a break in on old market street, which is the next street over.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Word on the street is that the gentleman that has been charged with the murder on Connolly St should still be serving a prison sentence for a previous incident in the Sligo area a number of years ago, his release date should have been sometime in 2019. The mind boggles!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Black Bart wrote: »
    Word on the street is that the gentleman that has been charged with the murder on Connolly St should still be serving a prison sentence for a previous incident in the Sligo area a number of years ago, his release date should have been sometime in 2019. The mind boggles!!

What street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Black Bart wrote:

I'd heard he broke out of columbus which might make sense if he was put in there after last incident instead of prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

rizzodun wrote: »
    I think OP may have been referring to the gentleman who died as a result of a break in on old market street, which is the next street over.

This one.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-30-jailed-for-life-for-murder-of-eugene-gillespie-67-30153301.html

sligojoek wrote:
    This one.

That's not the person I had heard was being held..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mcgiggles wrote: »
    That's not the person I had heard was being held..

Sorry. I was referring to the other murder on a neighbouring street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mcgiggles wrote:
    I'd heard he broke out of columbus which might make sense if he was put in there after last incident instead of prison?

I heard he was supposed to be admitted to Columbus but was turned away or discharged.

There will always be rumours and half stories going around. Either way the man must have a history of serious mental health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I cannot believe how such a random act of pure violence, in broad daylight, on a busy day, in a busy town can result in the death of a lovely young man. His parents and younger sisters must be totally devastated and their world torn apart, my heart truly goes out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

We know that this tragedy was 'discovered' at @1:30pm on Saturday 24th February. But does anyone know the 'actual time' when this crime took place?

I've heard some people using the phrase "in broad daylight" when giving their reaction in the news. Did it happen during the day?

We know that this tragedy was 'discovered' at @1:30pm on Saturday 24th February. But does anyone know the 'actual time' when this crime took place?

I've heard some people using the phrase "in broad daylight" when giving their reaction in the news. Did it happen during the day?

What I've read so far is the offender was at the house at 1:15pm and had broken the window of the door and young lad went to check what the noise was and he started into him.. people saw/heard and called the cops, but he was back in his own flat when the cops came?)(which confuses me - yes he lived close but where were the cops coming from.. The timeline doesn't really make sense?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

mcgiggles wrote: »
    What I've read so far is the offender was at the house at 1:15pm . . . )

Where did you read this (if you don't mind my asking)? Was it online or in one of the newspapers?

Where did you read this (if you don't mind my asking)? Was it online or in one of the newspapers?

Hmm.. Can't remember now sorry, I'll see if I can find it, one of the papers online as far as I can remember but which one now ill have to check and get back to you..

Advertisement