Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA have banned all sponsorship from betting companies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If people got better at gambling, then there wouldn't be a gambling problem. I think we should teach kids at a young age how to gamble properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 InfoSponge

If people got better at gambling, then there wouldn't be a gambling problem. I think we should teach kids at a young age how to gamble properly.

Good idea...and let's teach kids how to get better at taking heroin too. It will solve so many issues we face these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Imagine being a recovering gambling addict. Every sports event would have Ray Winston or some greasy half beard bunch of lads reminding you how much you love gambling and how cool it was.

I never had any time for the gaa but fair play to them. I’ll start buying their merchandise and giving it to all the kids whose birthday parties my kids get invited to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Great move, clearly the gaa is changing, I wonder when can we expect matches to return to FTA, away from theiving corporate broadcasters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I agree. We should teach them how to gamble while having a few pints down the local during cheltenham week.

All that expert knowledge that has been stored up during the previous 51 weeks when they dont gamble.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Great move, clearly the gaa is changing, I wonder when can we expect matches to return to FTA, away from theiving corporate broadcasters?

That's a different matter entirely.

I don't see any reason to turn that money down. In fact they'd be fools if they did.

I don't see the need for the gaa, or any other sporting organisation, to turn down tv money.

Ajsoprano wrote: »
    Imagine being a recovering gambling addict. Every sports event would have Ray Winston or some greasy half beard bunch of lads reminding you how much you love gambling and how cool it was.

I never had any time for the gaa but fair play to them. I’ll start buying their merchandise and giving it to all the kids whose birthday parties my kids get invited to.

Recovering from any addiction isnt easy.

The same thing applies to alcoholism in Ireland. Pretty much everything ends up in the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Patww79 wrote: »
    There are no such things as cultural or societal problems, it's just a cop out. There are problems people have (individuals) which they need to be held accountable for instead of punishing the people who have control just so we can always blame someone else for all ills. Cultural my hole.

Are you a member of the NRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

We're nearly there guys!! Only a few more things left to ban now 🀗

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wonder when the horse racing industry will follow suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That's a different matter entirely.

I don't see any reason to turn that money down. In fact they'd be fools if they did.

I don't see the need for the gaa, or any other sporting organisation, to turn down tv money.

completely disagree of course, its all more or less the same thing, i.e. 'corporate control'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Wonder when the horse racing industry will follow suit

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, This news is very welcomed by most people i'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

InfoSponge wrote: »
    Fair play to the GAA. Gambling addiction is ruining so many lives and the lives of so many families of the Gambling addict. I'm a compulsive gambler in recovery myself and I am astounded by the stupidity of some people when it comes to talking about people in addiction.

Talking out your arse about something you clearly don't have a clue about. Self control/Will power...what ever way you want to package it up has less than 1% the power of addiction.

Funny, I think it's the stupid people who end up addicted to gambling.

Sports betting is very enjoyable, it's people's own fault if they bet above their means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

mdwexford wrote: »

Sports betting is very enjoyable, it's people's own fault if they bet above their means.

EDIT: Comment deleted, No point engaging here.

Since the ending of the Guninness co-sponsorship of the hurling championship a few years ago the GAA has not has a drinks sponsor for any national competition.

It even greatly diminished at county level too,

Has this made any difference to alcohol consumption?

• Advertisement

joecass123 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, This news is very welcomed by most people i'd imagine!

Really? Less money in GAAs coffers and no change in the number of people gambling.

Bonkers Nanny state. There are bigger problems within the game.

So you think anyone who suffers with addiction is a stupid person?

Suffers with addiction. I wouldn't word it like that.
    These people have a choice, it's not an affliction they have been cursed with since birth.

People make a decision every time they place a bet. If you make a decision to gamble your rent money then that's a stupid decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bookies shops are a pox on any street, you know a place is going downhill when it's full of bookies and cash for gold outlets.

I know a Doctor who lost everything due to gambling. Everything! Absolutely everything.

So there goes your utterly bullsh1t ignorant totally wrong theory down the drain.

EDIT: Comment deleted, No point engaging here.

Like I said in what mdwexford himself copied...astounded..and he too is talking out his arse on something he clearly has zero understanding or education on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

What were the odds of this happening?

Like I said in what joecass123 himself copied...astounded..and he too is talking out his arse on something he clearly has zero understanding or education on.

Yeah you are the great expert because you couldn't stop gambling.

Anyone who has a different view hasn't a notion.

Hilarious.
    gstack166 wrote: »
    I know a Doctor who lost everything due to gambling. Everything! Absolutely everything.

So there goes your utterly bullsh1t ignorant totally wrong theory down the drain.

So what, because he's a doctor he's above stupidity.

It seems he clearly wasn't.

I don't have a theory. Anyone who loses everything they own due to gambling has made stupid idiotic decisions. That's pretty obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Have people who are arguing “this won’t make a difference” forgotten that cigarettes used to be a major sports sponsor too?

It’s about not normalising it, letting people know that it’s dangerous and won’t be promoted by the sports themselves. I like a bet on sports, I even do a small podcast based around it (which also includes a 5-10 minute weekly chat about addiction and the signs you might be fwiw), but I think this is a great move and should be the model for all sports. Keep gambling legal (since making it illegal is like prohibition in America just handing a huge industry over to criminals) but put a stigma around it that this can be damaging if not done responsibly. Force people to confront their issues if any exist.

You're mixing up book smart and a bit of ****ing cop on. There's more than one way to be stupid.

How stupid of me. Of course, the old chestnut ‘bit of cop on’ if only we could sell it, gone would be all the addictions known to man.

No point me engaging with you, you know everything.

Wow there is dumb and then there is patw79 and mdwexford...I fear for this country every time I come across that level of stupidity.

Wow there is dumb and then there is patw79 and mdwexford...I fear for this country every time I come across that level of stupidity.

Says the person who has to go to gambling addiction recovery. You know that doesn't say much for you right. You couldn't even manage your own money.

Calling anyone who has a different view to you stupid, just makes you look stupid.

Sometimes unlimited sympathy for everything people do can be more harm than good. Stripping away all responsibility from them is not making you the hero you think you are.

How dumb can someone be? Who’s showing sympathy? What responsibility is being stripped? Is it not the GAA’s responsibility to protect its members from a epidemic that’s widespread throughout their organisation? Is it not the duty & responsibility of them to warn & protect the kids in their organisation of the dangers of gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Says the person who has to go to gambling addiction recovery. You know that doesn't say much for you right. You couldn't even manage your own money.

Calling anyone who has a different view to you stupid, just makes you look stupid.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Deedsie wrote: »
    I would admire a person working through a gambling addiction more than a keyboard warrior like you belittling addiction illnesses to a bit of cop on/personal responsibility. I am sure you lead a faultless lifestyle with zero vices.

You are probably afraid to have a conversation with a real person.

Sensitive subject for you as well it seems.

Pity you all can't discuss it logically without resorting to personal insults.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Belittling someone who is trying to work their way through a gambling problem. I wouldn't call you stupid, there are a few other words I would use to describe you though.

This person has called me stupid twice now for no reason other than having a different view on a subject to them.

It is commendable anyone who tries to get help for any problem they have. Nobody wants to see anyone gamble their house away.

leggo wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with you?

Nothing.

I'm not the one calling people stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Suffers with addiction. I wouldn't word it like that.
    These people have a choice, it's not an affliction they have been cursed with since birth.

People make a decision every time they place a bet. If you make a decision to gamble your rent money then that's a stupid decision.

Stupid decision yes, one they have control over? I would say no, the reason being is they need help.

Nothing.

Did you not say it was ‘stupid’ people who have a problem with gambling?

Millions of people worldwide drink but are not alcoholics. Just like millions that gamble aren’t addicted.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's twice now you've speculated about my personal life and once you've thrown a troll accusation around. And, seeing as the mods are showing you a bit of favouritism, I'll kindly ask you to wind your ****ing neck in and take it back out of the gutter.

Pots and kettles. Yourself and another poster are happy to insult and belittle some other posters, but not happy to take anything in return.

On topic, great move from the GAA. Where as it's not my business is someone wants to gamble etc, the industry's advertising has become despicably predatory in recent years. Wish football would do the same.

Millions of people worldwide drink but are not alcoholics. Just like millions that gamble aren’t addicted.

And they can still gamble. So I don't see a problem.

I enjoy an odd bet but it would be a tenner once a month at most. I see guys from pension age down to lads who were behind me in school blowing their money every week. It's ****ed up and while this probably won't make a huge difference hopefully it might be the beginning of the end of people seeing bookies as their mates.

• Advertisement

Just like millions of people who own assault rifles in America aren’t mass murderers. Life isn’t as simple as that for some people. There is too much of a correlation between gambling & sports now. Kids think it’s the norm to bet on what you watch on the tv. It’s not the norm, the less we see of the bookmakers enticing marketing the better for everyone.

gstack166 wrote: »
    Just like millions of people who own assault rifles in America aren’t mass murderers. Life isn’t as simple as that for some people. There is too much of a correlation between gambling & sports now. Kids think it’s the norm to bet on what you watch on the tv. It’s not the norm, the less we see of the bookmakers enticing marketing the better for everyone.

“Kids” tends to mean under the age of 18. Therefore they cannot bet legally.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Pots and kettles. Yourself and another poster are happy to insult and belittle some other posters, but not happy to take anything in return.

On topic, great move from the GAA. Where as it's not my business is someone wants to gamble etc, the industry's advertising has become despicably predatory in recent years. Wish football would do the same.

I hate seeing the likes of Chris Kamara on betting ads. I'm sure he knows a few who played with him who lost the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's the ordinary betting shop workers who will suffer

I hate seeing the likes of Chris Kamara on betting ads. I'm sure he knows a few who played with him who lost the lot.

Just like I bet on that bloody horse that lost the race due to jockey error.

• Advertisement

Just like I bet on that bloody horse that lost the race due to jockey error.

No idea what you're on about.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Equally, I hate the Ray Winstone ads too. It's as though they're attacking viewers if they don't bet, like "you're not a man" it "harden up" etc.

Some of the older paddy power adapter were actually decent adverts, the Carlton Palmer one and Detorri one I think, but they were not strictly playing on people's minds to entice them into having a quick flutter with "you can't lose"..

The smartphone has obviously played it's part to. It's too easy to bet, and without the actual tactile feel of money changing hands it can often feel like your betting less. €100 in the hand has more impact than €100 in a digital wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Nothing.

Emmmm...

You did.

“Kids” tends to mean under the age of 18. Therefore they cannot bet legally.

Therefore they cannot drink legally either. I suppose we don’t have an issue with underage drinking in this country also? It’s cooments like that grinds my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Cienciano wrote: »
    Though this was interesting. Fair play to the GAA imho, a step in the right direction. Would be good to see other sports do the same.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/betting-companies-booted-out-of-sponsorship-in-the-gaa-36639062.html

Except if anybody remembers about 5 years ago there was a big campaign to get sports organisations to stop accepting alcohol sponsorship. Fair enough; I completely agree with that. However, the usual drones used it as a stick to bash the GAA in particular. The GAA dropped Guinness as the main sponsor of the A-I Hurling Championship.

Did soccer and rugby follow? Not a chance. The Heineken Cup and all those soccer jerseys advertising alcohol continue to give millions to both sports, and the campaign died once the GAA was forced to give up its lucrative alcohol sponsorship.

I look forward to a ban on all alcohol advertising across the EU.
    Yeah thats cool and all,but football hasnt had an alcohol sponsor in years and years amd years,because it was banned years and years and years ago,but don't let facts get in the way of a good story

• Advertisement
Advertisement