Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily rate for a painter

Options
  • 24-02-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people think should be the daily rate for a painter in galway and it's surrounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dok_golf wrote: »
    Just wondering what people think should be the daily rate for a painter in galway and it's surrounds.

Really depends on the job. Inside or out. Most will price the job rather than by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Ok. 2 doors to go from pine to white. Hall, Stairs and landing ( ceiling and walls only), Bottom half of walls is wood panelling to go from MDF to white. Bannister and spindles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ok. 2 doors to go from pine to white. Hall, Stairs and landing ( ceiling and walls only), Bottom half of walls is wood panelling to go from MDF to white. Bannister and spindles.

I don't know the exact going rate but anything I can easily reach and is doable I do myself. I am not a professional but the job that i do is good enough for me.

When I need the professionals to come in, it is with a heavy heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The going rate is what they will quote you. Get quotes from a couple places, it will take the guesswork out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

bobbyss wrote: »
    I don't know the exact going rate but anything I can easily reach and is doable I do myself. I am not a professional but the job that i do is good enough for me.

When I need the professionals to come in, it is with a heavy heart.

That's not what the OP was asking at all though was it? I doubt they care what you are able to manage yourself! Nor do I either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

jam83 wrote: »
    That's not what the OP was asking at all though was it? I doubt they care what you are able to manage yourself! Nor do I either.

I implied it was expensive but stated clearly I did not know the going rate.

(A little) subtlety would see that.

I'm a painter myself. I was interested in other opinions as I got vastly undercut on a job recently. The job ( see details above ) would take me 5 & a half to 6 days. I gave a quote of 650, which I thought was more than reasonable. Another crew of 3 men came in with a quote of 400 euro to do the job in 2 days. This works out at 66 euro per man per day. I was supplying an invoice but I'm pretty sure these guys weren't. I'm also extremely doubtful if they have insurance despite telling the client that they have ( not compulsory believe it or not )

I'm a painter myself. I was interested in other opinions as I got vastly undercut on a job recently. The job ( see details above ) would take me 5 & a half to 6 days. I gave a quote of 650, which I thought was more than reasonable. Another crew of 3 men came in with a quote of 400 euro to do the job in 2 days. This works out at 66 euro per man per day. I was supplying an invoice but I'm pretty sure these guys weren't. I'm also extremely doubtful if they have insurance despite telling the client that they have ( not compulsory believe it or not )

Many people want the job done as quickly and cheaply as possible. We got the outside (end of terrace) done last Summer for around your price, it included window cleaning, full power wash outside,gutters cleaned too. He took about five days.

Did you get/look for an invoice? And did he show proof of insurance?

Did you get/look for an invoice? And did he show proof of insurance?

No on both. Did an excellent job and was a couple of hundred less than another quote I got,no brainier really especially as he came recommended and i had seen some of his previous work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

No on both. Did an excellent job and was a couple of hundred less than another quote I got,no brainier really especially as he came recommended and i had seen some of his previous work.

There's so much wrong on both sides here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

People will work for near nothing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

worded wrote: »
    People will work for near nothing ...

What about the poor bastard that cant afford to work for nothing? Nor even compete cos he's legit?

Not arguing I think we share the same sentiments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Ursummupet wrote: »
    What about the poor bastard that cant afford to work for nothing? Nor even compete cos he's legit?

Agreed

And time wasted on quoting etc

It's infuriating!!! Most of these guys are drawing the dole on top of everything else. They hold all the aces really. Only thing with regards to myself is that I get a lot of repeat business, because once I do the first job for someone( and subsequent ones), I'm that pedantic about the finish and cleanliness, they very often won't go for someone else there after. (Sorry if that sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet!:-))

Ursummupet wrote: »

Can't blame people who go with the best price. We were quoted close to 200 a day from a lad to do the hall,stairs, landing walls plus five internal doors. Daylight robbery, did it ourselves in the end and didn't take the time he said it would.

It's infuriating!!! Most of these guys are drawing the dole on top of everything else. They hold all the aces really. Only thing with regards to myself is that I get a lot of repeat business, because once I do the first job for someone( and subsequent ones), I'm that pedantic about the finish and cleanliness, they very often won't go for someone else there after. (Sorry if that sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet!:-))

That's competition for you though. You are probably a lot better in terms of quality than many out there but on price a lot are probably lower than you. At the end of the day it comes down to what the client values more. Nothing wrong with trumpeting one's own work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

That's competition for you though.

Its illegal competition, though. And us law-abiding citizens have to be honest with ourselves - every time we engage one of these operatives we are actively facilitating theft.And helping to drive legal operators out of the market.

1641 wrote: »
    Its illegal competition, though. And us law-abiding citizens have to be honest with ourselves - every time we engage one of these operatives we are actively facilitating theft.And helping to drive legal operators out of the market.

Theft?

Most of the trades I've come across have a large share of this happening, seems like something the government or revenue should be going after, until they do then people will continue operating and getting work. It makes financial sense for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Theft?

Most of the trades I've come across have a large share of this happening, seems like something the government or revenue should be going after, until they do then people will continue operating and getting work. It makes financial sense for many people.

Theft from the tax take - which means higher taxes than there should be for everyone else and/or fewer services. I agree re the need for more crackdown but probably difficult to do. I believe in some countries that the people engaging such traders are made legally liable as well as the traders themselves. Perhaps this might work.

By the way - I am not having a go here, except maybe at myself, having transgressed from time to time.

• Advertisement

1641 wrote: »
    Theft from the tax take - which means higher taxes than there should be for everyone else and/or fewer services. I agree re the need for more crackdown but probably difficult to do. I believe in some countries that the people engaging such traders are made legally liable as well as the traders themselves. Perhaps this might work.

By the way - I am not having a go here, except maybe at myself, having transgressed from time to time.

You're grand didn't take it as anything bar a discussion. I'm the same, I've no issue using a licensed tradesperson but comes a point where the other option is just more viable, especially on jobs that I can do myself (just don't have the equipment). Holding the client responsible might be a decent deterrent alright. Do the likes of the tradesmen.ie type sites vet people I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Brother in law sought a quote to paint his stairs, living room and a small bedroom. He was quoted 950 by one painter went with a Brazilian crew who charged him 650. Couldn't fault the work and all tidied up after. In both cases he was to supply the paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dok_golf wrote:

Not everyone is as conscientious as you unfortunately. Word of mouth is great. Brother is a sparks, always charged a fair price and did good work. Has never had to sit at home even when things nosedived.

Got a gang of foreign lads in last year. 1200 sq ft apartment, all walls, ceilings, skirting and window sills. They were in and out in 7 hours with the place left spotless. 500 eur with the paint included and receipts provided l. Couldn't fault it and have passed on the phone number to loads since.

Could you pass on their number to me? ( Seriously). My own house needs painting badly and I just can't spare the time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's infuriating!!! Most of these guys are drawing the dole on top of everything else. They hold all the aces really.

We've had a fair amount of our well-established contractors go out of business. They're being undercut.

the contractors that are vat registered have no hope of getting work in private houses, whatever about those of us who aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

the contractors that are vat registered have no hope of getting work in private houses, whatever about those of us who aren't.
    I'm a bit confused, I though initially you wanted to employ a painter and were asking what to pay them?
    Now it seems you are an unregistered painter asking what to charge people?

Am I right so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's called market research, I think. S/he is busy, but has lost some tenders unexpectedly, so is wanting to check what the general public expect.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused, I though initially you wanted to employ a painter and were asking what to pay them?
    Now it seems you are an unregistered painter asking what to charge people?

Am I right so far?

No.

Advertisement