Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi folks i have two questions ?

• 25-02-2018 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Hi folks i would like to know , i rang my bank to day and my credit card is nearly up for renewal in August and i sked the person not to send me out a new card with that Tap function and she said she can't as all the Credit cards are coming that way , is that correct or is there a bank that does not do this new facility,

Also can you tell me if i change banks when is the best time with Annual
    Government Charges ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

No idea re the contactless card.
    If you read this it tells you about the annual stamp duty charge.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

My new card arrived the other day with the contactless function too, however I have no intention of ever using it so don't see much of an issue with it or am I missing something? Now if it was going to cost me more for the card then I might be bothered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

The concern could possibly relate to the risk of the card being skimmed while in your pocket by a contactless reader. The same risk applies to contactless debit cards. However, if you are concerned about that you could get a shielded wallet (or use tinfoil). I don’t know how realistic the risk is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Sarn wrote: »
    I don’t know how realistic the risk is.

Tinfoil hat paranoia for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I had the same row with AIB about a contactless credit card, my argument was "what if someone picks it up and starts making purchases under €30 will this continue up to my limit is reached"

They said they have software to spot suspicious transactions....we'll see

Also you have to pay stamp duty for each credit card you have. It is
    Normally taken at the start of the tax year, if you change cards you get a letter form the old crowd saying you have paid already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had the same row with AIB about a contactless credit card, my argument was "what if someone picks it up and starts making purchases under €30 will this continue up to my limit is reached"

They said they have software to spot suspicious transactions....we'll see

Also you have to pay stamp duty for each credit card you have. It is
    Normally taken at the start of the tax year, if you change cards you get a letter form the old crowd saying you have paid already.

Isn’t there a limit of 3 contactless transactions before the pin has to be entered? That’s the way mine is anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I know in BOI you can request a non contactless card....whether all the customer service staff know this is another story. I would go through a bit of pain and insist if it really means that much to you.

In saying that, your security concerns about contactless are a bit extreme.....pin is required after 5 transactions and all banks clearly state no customer will be held liable for fraudulent contactless transactions.

Re stamp duty, it doesnt matter. Its paid in april in arrears. If youve paid it on closing your card because of switching banks you dont have to pay it in new bank, you just need to show closing statement with it paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was just exaggerating to cover worse case scenario really- even if someone does get their hands on my card debit or credit I don't want the hassle of having to try get the money back of the bank all to save me the 5 secs to put in my pin

it should be optional as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

368100 wrote: »
    I know in BOI you can request a non contactless card....whether all the customer service staff know this is another story. I would go through a bit of pain and insist if it really means that much to you.

In saying that, your security concerns about contactless are a bit extreme.....pin is required after 5 transactions and all banks clearly state no customer will be held liable for fraudulent contactless transactions.

Re stamp duty, it doesnt matter. Its paid in april in arrears. If youve paid it on closing your card because of switching banks you dont have to pay it in new bank, you just need to show closing statement with it paid.

It was actually bank of Ireland credit card that said I have no choice I have to take the contact that All cards will be this now and yes two of my friends were charged for stuff 5hey never bought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭faolteam

So is there any Bank that give you a choice

• Advertisement

torrevieja wrote: »
    It was actually bank of Ireland credit card that said I have no choice I have to take the contact that All cards will be this now and yes two of my friends were charged for stuff 5hey never bought

So somebody used the contactless feature on 2 of your friends cards without them knowing? Did they get mugged and the robber made a contactless payment before they had a chance to get the card cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You can always break the circuit in the card by punching a hole through the loop. Or if anyone is paranoid about the card been skimmed while in a wallet it is possible to get wallets to prevent it.

It’s not about been paranoid I don’t buy a Toyota car and get a Renault i don’t want that feature is it not a simple request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

faolteam wrote: »
    It’s not about been paranoid I don’t buy a Toyota car and get a Renault i don’t want that feature is it not a simple request

Boi can issue debit cards as non contactless for definite.Id get on to your branch and talk to a manager.

But it’s a credit card I want

I don't know what every bank offers, but if no one offers what you want then your only option is to break the circuit by puncturing it with a paper hole punch. Just make sure you leave the chip intact.

faolteam wrote: »

Well if that's the case just don't use the contactless feature? It's not forced upon you to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I don't know what every bank offers, but if no one offers what you want then your only option is to break the circuit by puncturing it with a paper hole punch. Just make sure you leave the chip intact.

Would that not effect it when your inserting it in the credit card machine ?

torrevieja wrote: »
    Would that not effect it when your inserting it in the credit card machine ?

CC machines are only interested in the chip. The following link shows what the inside of a card normally looks like. The circuit loop can be broken at the opposite end to the chip.

https://sophosnews.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/nu-emv-coil-500.png?w=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have a contactless card that I accidentally cracked a little bit through the contactless circuit. Contactless no longer works, but the card still works in chip and pin terminals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement