Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Taxation and Withholding Tax

Options
  • 25-02-2018 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I have a bit of a complicated query but hopefully I'll be able to save a trip to a solicitor if I can find some help here.

I worked as an employee in Poland for around 6 months last year, made about €5000 and paid a withholding tax on this amount every month (20% of income). I'm wondering if it's possible to get this refunded based on the following information (some of which I may have misinterpreted);

- I have received a 'withholding tax for nonresident natural person' document from my polish employer, it details my total earnings and the tax withheld, a copy has also been filed with the Polish tax office

- As a resident of Ireland, I don't pay income tax below a certain income for a given year (€15,000?)

- My total income for 2017 is less than €9,000

- A double taxation agreement states that I only have to pay tax in one of two countries that share such an agreement (which Poland and Ireland do)

From this information, am I correct in assuming that I can file an Irish tax return for my Polish income, have no Irish income tax applied (because of the total income being so low) and then have the Polish government refunded the withheld tax once I provide them with proof I've filed it in Ireland?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

You will need to file a tax return in Poland to get the tax refund. Foreign tax deducted is not recoverable in your home country tax return

Advertisement