Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather Readiness

Options
  • 25-02-2018 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Out if interest, how well prepared are our Fire Service, Ambulances and Garda vehicles for the possible road conditions next week?

If I am in need of assistance out in the sticks, with 3 inches of snow on the roads, how likely is it that first responders will be able to reach me in a timely manner?

I'd have thought it worthwhile for at least a proportion of emergency vehicles to be fitted with winter or all-season tyres to be ready for such eventualities. Not a huge cost implication, other than the cost of fitting, as summer tyres would last longer when they are rotated with winters. A stock of snowchains/snow socks at depots would also be advisable for occasional use.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

More and more they are utilising organisations that do have equipment and resources. Coast Guard. Civil Defence and the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

A good few fire appliances are fitted with automatic snowchains. Not needed too often, but come in right useful when they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Out if interest, how well prepared are our Fire Service, Ambulances and Garda vehicles for the possible road conditions next week?

If I am in need of assistance out in the sticks, with 3 inches of snow on the roads, how likely is it that first responders will be able to reach me in a timely manner?

I'd have thought it worthwhile for at least a proportion of emergency vehicles to be fitted with winter or all-season tyres to be ready for such eventualities. Not a huge cost implication, other than the cost of fitting, as summer tyres would last longer when they are rotated with winters. A stock of snowchains/snow socks at depots would also be advisable for occasional use.

Obvious slow down in response times; and just downright inability to reach some places.

The army and voluntary emergency services are all on standby; particularly for their 4x4 capabilities.

Advertisement