Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still worth importing ammo/guns from the UK post Brexit?

Options
  • 25-02-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Post Brexit what is it like importing ammo and guns from the UK into the ROI i know some people import centrefire ammo from the UK to the ROI. Is it still worth it post brexit.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

'Jumping the GUN' here I think.
    If you can predict the future then give me the Lotto numbers for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

With the STG and Euro at the minute wouldnt be bothered. I know a lad that actually saved money on a new Benelli he bought. €1550 stg got it for €1700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Seeing as most cf rifle ammo for instance, comes from america, I don't know why it cannot be shipped directly here in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

gunny123 wrote: »
    Seeing as most cf rifle ammo for instance, comes from america, I don't know why it cannot be shipped directly here in the first place.

Wasn't that new SI picking on the dealers and tighten up on courier delivery.

Wasn't that new SI picking on the dealers and tighten up on courier delivery.

Yeah, our own "representatives" cutting our throats again :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

gunny123 wrote: »

Because they are not going to ship 400 rounds to a dealer in Ireland they are going to ship several million rounds to a European wholesaler.
    An export license costs $500, the shipping is completely mental.
    What i don't understand is why Irish dealers don't just buy more ammunition that is manufactured in Europe it may at times be more expensive however then their customers would have more consistent supplies and wouldn't constantly have to change what grain or type of round they are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IF there was only some way of reloading ammo at home safely and cheaply in Ireland for anyone with a gun liscense with easily accessible equipment and with a permissible round count the same as your liscense.....:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    IF there was only some way of reloading ammo at home safely and cheaply in Ireland for anyone with a gun liscense with easily accessible equipment and with a permissible round count the same as your liscense.....:rolleyes:

as Father Ted would say "Down with that sort of thing"

juice1304 wrote: »
    Because they are not going to ship 400 rounds to a dealer in Ireland they are going to ship several million rounds to a European wholesaler.
    What i don't understand is why Irish dealers don't just buy more ammunition that is manufactured in Europe it may at times be more expensive however then their customers would have more consistent supplies and wouldn't constantly have to change what grain or type of round they are using.

Why bother with mickey mouse orders to individual dealers ? Large orders directly from the us or europe to irish wholesalers rather than to uk wholesalers would be the way to go.

But maybe there is some stupid irish law or "policy" preventing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Maybe a little OT, but...

Is there a better selection of ammunition up North?

Whats the procedure for buying it and driving back home with it yourself legally?

• Advertisement

Apply to the DOJ for an import of ammo permit[free] state the amount and caliber you are importing and buying off whom,and pretty much off you go.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

juice1304 wrote: »

Transport/courier costs are a killer within the EU as well. Looking at 500 Russian Barnaul,[cheap POS] @275 euros
    Geco 9mm X1000 rounds @200 euros,Shipping,hasmat charges and all the rest proably adds another 100 euros pers quantity. The trouble is here,we are on the furthermost rock off the European mainland so to supply us is going to be costly in extremis for everything coming by plane or boat.:(

Wonder sometimes, would it be an option to open a small scale munitions plant here on say, the Blaskets for "security purposes":rolleyes:
    When you consider that some of these presses like Dillion precision can be semi-automated and you wouldnt have to run off hundreds of thousands of rounds every day but more like tens of thousands per month... Sometimes wonder would it be worth the hassle as a small scale industry here??

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apply to the DOJ for an import of ammo permit[free] state the amount and caliber you are importing and buying off whom,and pretty much off you go.

Not as simple as off you go, if he is stopped by the PNSI with it and no NI visitors pass, it def will be off he goes. You need an NI firearms pass to legally be in possession of firearms or ammunition in NI

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Not as simple as off you go, if he is stopped by the PNSI with it and no NI visitors pass, it def will be off he goes. You need an NI firearms pass to legally be in possession of firearms or ammunition in NI

Without a N.I Visitors permit he won’t even get that far. No RFD in N.I. will sell you ammunition without either a SGC or a FAC or a visitors permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Sika98k wrote: »
    Without a N.I Visitors permit he won’t even get that far. No RFD in N.I. will sell you ammunition without either a SGC or a FAC or a visitors permit.

Im not disagreeing with you, to get the visitor pass in the first place he must have a FAC, and then have it accepted , and if for example if he has 200 rounds on his licence he cant get bulk buy in the North as he cant exceed what's on his licence, so no chance of getting 1000 rds on a visitors pass.

But I do know the RFD's both sides of the border deal with each other depending of the currency exchange rate, North to South and South to North.

Advertisement