Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUFC vs CFC -FA Premier League- Kick-off :14:05- SkySp PL

• 25-02-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte says his verbal sparring with Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has "stopped".

The two meet in the Premier League at Old Trafford on Sunday, a month after a widely report public argument.

"I'm not interested in this topic. Both said something in the past, but we stop," said Conte.

At his own news conference, Mourinho refused to be drawn on the situation, saying: "I told you before I'm not going to speak about it. Not at all."

The Portuguese added: "Very good manager, fantastic team and that's what is important for me. Just that."

Last month, Mourinho - who was twice Chelsea's manager - referred to a four-month suspension Conte served for failing to report match-fixing, for which the Italian was later cleared of any wrongdoing.

Blues manager Conte called the United boss "a little man" and Mourinho retaliated by saying he treats Conte with "contempt".

Liverpool's 4-1 win over West Ham on Saturday means United must beat Chelsea in order to return to second in the table, while Conte's side could leapfrog their opponents into third with a victory.

Playing Liverpool means more - Mourinho

Mourinho is the most successful manager in Chelsea's history, having overseen three Premier League triumphs, an FA Cup victory and a trio of League Cup wins.

Both reigns ended amid acrimony, and his disagreements with Conte have increased the anticipation before Sunday's match against his former club.

However, the United boss claims facing Chelsea is not especially emotional, especially with Liverpool coming to Old Trafford next month.

"It's any normal game and probably to play Liverpool in a couple of weeks' time means more," said Mourinho.

"I don't have any bad feeling in relation to Chelsea Football Club to say: 'Oh, I'm going to play against my former club, I am going to prove this, I am going to prove that.'

"I've never played against Inter since I left, but I played against Porto, Real Madrid and Chelsea. The feeling is just a good one. Not a special feeling."

Mourinho backing Lukaku

Mourinho, meanwhile, said he is "not worried" by striker Romelu Lukaku's failure to score in United's matches against their top-six rivals so far this season.

Lukaku had looked set to rejoin former club Chelsea in the summer, before the Red Devils signed him from Everton for an initial £75m.

The Belgian has failed to score in his 17 Premier League games involving Sunday's opponents - including 10 appearances he made for Chelsea between 2011 and 2014.

Mourinho said he did not know why Lukaku had not scored against their rivals.

He added: "Twenty one goals is not bad at all, and I don't measure the players' performances the same way you do.

"I have other points of analysis and I'm happy with Romelu's performance even when he doesn't score goals."

Team news

United midfielder Ander Herrera faces a few weeks out after aggravating a muscular injury in the midweek Champions League draw against Sevilla.

Eric Bailly could make his first start since November, but Marouane Fellaini, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Daley Blind, Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones all remain out.

Chelsea have no new injury concerns before their trip to Old Trafford.

David Luiz, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Ross Barkley are all still unavailable.

Match facts

Head-to-head

Manchester United's only victory in the past 14 meetings in all competitions came at home in the league last season (D5, L8).

United have lost 18 Premier League games and conceded 67 goals against Chelsea, more than versus any other team in the division.

Chelsea's only goal in four Premier League fixtures at Old Trafford was scored by Didier Drogba in a 1-1 draw in October 2014.

There has not been an away win in a league meeting between these clubs since Chelsea's 1-0 triumph at Old Trafford in May 2013.

Manchester United

United have conceded just five goals in 13 Premier League home games this season.

Jose Mourinho has lost only two of his 49 competitive matches at Old Trafford as Manchester United manager, with both defeats coming at the hands of Manchester City.

They have won only four of their 16 league matches under Mourinho against the other established top-six teams (D5, L7), scoring only 12 goals and conceding 18.

Romelu Lukaku has failed to score in any of his six Premier League matches against other current top-six sides this season, managing just four attempts on target in those games.

Lukaku has failed to score in all 17 Premier League appearances involving Chelsea: 10 for the Blues and seven against them.

Mourinho has lost three matches in all competitions against Chelsea as Manchester United manager, more than against any other opponent.

Chelsea

The Blues have won just two of their last nine away matches in all competitions (D4, L3).

Chelsea have lost six Premier League matches this season, one more than in their entire title-winning 2016-17 campaign.

Antonio Conte has won three of his five meetings in all competitions against Jose Mourinho, with his only defeat coming in this fixture last season.

Eden Hazard has six goals in his last six Premier League appearances.

Pedro has seven goals in games against Jose Mourinho-managed teams, second only to Lionel Messi's tally of 11.

Prediction : 1-0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Prediction, yet another big 6 bus parking exercise by the “special one”. Continuing his absolutely pathetic record against top teams recently....

0-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

OP is a solid 2/10 effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I was wondering had anyone made a "witty" bus related comment.

Regulars in Commuting and Transport forum probably uses the word less than posters to this forum :pac:

Most expensively assembled bus ever too mind you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Afrer 86 mins of bus parking, 4 de gea supersaves, pogba sticks a 50 yard pass to a offside lukakus who scores.

1-0 united and a week of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Hoping for a no score draw with straight red cards for hazard , cesc, willian
    And for karma sake hopefully Valencia, young get sent of for repetitive diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

pjohnson wrote: »
    I was wondering had anyone made a "witty" bus related comment.

Regulars in Commuting and Transport forum probably uses the word less than posters to this forum :pac:

It was Mourinho who brought the phrase into the lexicon of the Premier League to belittle a fellow manager in the first place so the very fact he uses the same tactics himself is absolutely there to be scoffed at.

Now fair enough, Man U fans may defend the chap and the baggage that comes with him, the same baggage they'd themselves scoff at and have done so in the past when he was at other clubs, such is football.

But the scoffing is very justifiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lukaku to break his duck and score against an actual good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lukaku to break his duck and score against an actual good team.
    You are talking about this season? Like he has loads of goals against the top teams in the league to this point in his career. Last year he scored against Spurs, Man City twice and Arsenal. I think that was it but it's enough to disprove any theory that he doesn't ever perform against the bigger teams in the league.

davycc wrote: »

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Prediction, yet another big 6 bus parking exercise by the “special one”. Continuing his absolutely pathetic record against top teams recently....

0-0

huh

Results against top 6. Liverpool have been so impressive.

Liverpool w 2 L 2 D 4

United: w 2 L 3 D1

limnam wrote: »
    huh

Liverpool w 2 L 2 D 4

Man U are playing Chelsea.

huh

Liverpool w 2 L 2 D 4

Sorry bud, think you’re a couple of weeks early for United v Liverpool :pac:

monkey9 wrote: »

I was just checking with the liverpool fan on his baseline for pathetic to make sure we're all on the same page for the discussion.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

huh

Liverpool w 2 L 2 D 4

Not to drag this off topic for too long but Liverpool do at least set out to win games as the goal-tastic scorelines indicate.

3-3 Arse
    1-1 Chelsea
    4-3 City
    4-1 Spurs
    2-2 Spurs
    5-0 City
    4-0 Arse
    0-0 - guess who?

You wouldn't know it tbf. Not with the posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Amazing, it took a Liverpool fan 2 minutes to make an inflammatory comment. Been on fire this week though I guess.

Liam O wrote: »
    Amazing, it took a Liverpool fan 2 minutes to make an inflammatory comment. Been on fire this week though I guess.

It's Man U v Chelsea.

It's Man U v Chelsea.

Yet here we are.

• Advertisement

Yet here we are.

Attempting to discuss Man U V Chelsea, yep.

Jose copping that Pogba needs to be in a midfield 3 could work in United’s favor if he sticks to a back 4 instead of a back 6 that he seems to favour in the big games.

Attempting to discuss Man U V Chelsea, yep.

by using phrases such as "pathetic"

Insightful discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Man Utd

1 de Gea
    25 A Valencia
    2 Lindelöf
    12 Smalling
    18 Young
    39 McTominay
    31 Matic
    6 Pogba
    11 Martial
    9 R Lukaku
    7 Sánchez

Substitutes

3 Bailly
    8 Mata
    14 Lingard
    16 Carrick
    19 Rashford
    23 Shaw
    40 Castro Pereira

Chelsea

13 Courtois
    28 Azpilicueta
    27 Christensen
    2 Rüdiger
    15 Moses
    6 Drinkwater
    7 Kanté
    3 Alonso
    22 Willian
    10 E Hazard
    9 Morata

Substitutes

1 Caballero
    4 Fàbregas
    11 Pedro
    18 Giroud
    21 Zappacosta
    24 Cahill
    33 Emerson

by using phrases such as "pathetic"

Insightful discussion

No i didn't.

No i didn't.

I didn't say you did.

I didn't say you did.

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

davycc wrote: »

don't even think they are the worst offenders in the league kane and alli are alot worse for it now

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Man Utd

1 de Gea
    25 A Valencia
    2 Lindelöf
    12 Smalling
    18 Young
    39 McTominay
    31 Matic
    6 Pogba
    11 Martial
    9 R Lukaku
    7 Sánchez

Substitutes

3 Bailly
    8 Mata
    14 Lingard
    16 Carrick
    19 Rashford
    23 Shaw
    40 Castro Pereira

Chelsea

13 Courtois
    28 Azpilicueta
    27 Christensen
    2 Rüdiger
    15 Moses
    6 Drinkwater
    7 Kanté
    3 Alonso
    22 Willian
    10 E Hazard
    9 Morata

Substitutes

1 Caballero
    4 Fàbregas
    11 Pedro
    18 Giroud
    21 Zappacosta
    24 Cahill
    33 Emerson

Second time Chelsea are mentioned and its page 3.

• Advertisement

Second time Chelsea are mentioned and its page 3.

Depends on your page view preference :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea know they have to get something with Spurs pending victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Chelsea dancing through United from the get go. Very unlucky there.

That would've been a fantastic goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

sooo many silly orange boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Poor start from United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Morata should have scored there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BenK wrote: »
    Poor start from United

That's been said quite a few times lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

For me that's a bad miss. If your a top striker you cushion that in. Having the Craic with the lads then after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That should have been a simple enough pass from Matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Should be 1-0 Chelsea. United saved by the crossbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Slow start from Manchester United

niallo27 wrote: »
    For me that's a bad miss. If your a top striker you cushion that in. Having the Craic with the lads then after.

Now that's a harsh assessment. He did well to anticipate and even make the connection he did with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I feel you have to perform twice as good as the next player to overcome the handicap of a surname like Drinkwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I feel you have to perform twice as good as the next player to overcome the handicap of a surname like Drinkwater.

Danny Drinkwater? Or his cousin....Eddy EatPizza? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Now that's a harsh assessment. He did well to anticipate and even make the connection he did with it.

Perhaps perhaps. I still think he should have done better.

Yes Wayne, United are boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Kirby wrote: »
    Danny Drinkwater? Or his cousin....Eddy EatPizza? :p

Oh dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

That kid McTominay looks alright

Fake smiles from the managers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Sanchez has completely unbalanced United since he has signed.

Front 3 are positionally all over the place right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement