Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage 2nd House ( own 1st)

Options
  • 25-02-2018 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering has anyone upgraded house lately?

Is better to go through a broker or a bank for my situation?

Every option I can find is for first time buyers online

My situation

I own a house worth about 150-160k, bought with cash.

I want to buy a nicer rural house for approx 240k

I have about 15k in savings, I am going to have to take a small mortgage

I earn base salary 50k, wife part time at the moment on about 15k, 1 young child, no debt

I don't know if this is possible but I would like to use house I own as equity against the mortgage I will take out

Wondering if bank can give me say the 240k mortgage, I buy house i want, move in, then sell my current house and give the bank the sale price of say 150k, leaving 90k on mortgage

Effictively I am looking for a mortgage of 90k, like when you trade in a car

Is this possible?

Or will I have to sell first

Where I live in West Limerick there are 3 1 beds for rent nothing else, no houses for rent, joke of a situation

Thats why I am reluctant to sell first and rent for while

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Approach a broker, it just makes dealing with multiple banks easier. You will need to either be in a chain(you both sell and buy at roughly the same time) or put your other house up as equity(so the total mortgage would be on both property's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

If you are not a first time buyer, don't you need a deposit of 20% to purchase a house. So you would need 48k to purchase a 240k house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If you are not a first time buyer, don't you need a deposit of 20% to purchase a house. So you would need 48k to purchase a 240k house.

Yep, but if he gets a mortgage on both houses, then he has roughly 165k equity for a loan of roughly 225.

65*3.5 = 227

If he sells, then he has a mortgage loan of 60-70k. The only issue there is that most banks are not really interested in loans that small for mortgages.

Hitman3000 wrote: »

The central bank consider you a first time buyer if you haven't bought a house with a mortgage before. If both the op and his wife haven't had a mortgage before they may well be considered first time buyers for the central bank deposit rules.

Advertisement