Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Issues - New Customer - Help Required - Bad Experience to Date

Options
  • 25-02-2018 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently moved address to a small estate on the edge of Carlow Town. I was hoping to get fibre broadband installed. Below, I have detailed my experience and also some questions as a result:

• Was told via web chat and via phone that fibre broadband is available in the estate. Also indicated on the Fibre Map.
    • Called up and processed an order for a fibre package.
    • Took a day of annual leave from work, waited for engineer to install, no show. Called up and was told nothing was scheduled and the order was cancelled. No explanation.
    • Was told I had to submit the order again but had to wait 24 hours.
    • Called again, was told that no fibre was available because all of the fibre sockets in the cabinet were taken. Just an FYI, the cabinet is no more than 10 meters from my phone terminal.
    • Was told that I could get 20mb from the copper line. I asked for that order to be processed.
    • Agent was unable to process the order and told me he would have to check with a different department.
    • Navigated through a labyrinth of departments, and after 52 minutes, was passed back to an agent who could process the order, but was told that it would only be 8mb. I went ahead with that.
    • Out of interest, I called Vodafone, to investigate, as the same lines are used for each service, and was told that I would only get 1mb if I couldn't get fibre.
    • I will receive the equipment for installation in 3-4 working days.
    [*]

Following this, I have some questions and would appreciate your advice/help. High speed internet is vital for the work I do:

• Is it normal for a cabinet to have few fibre sockets than there are houses in an estate? Approx 25 houses in the estate, built around 2000/2001.
    • Is it possible to pay Eir/Open Eir/KN Networks to install some infrastructure/hardware/equipment to allow me to avail of fibre broadband?
    • Will the distance from my phone terminal to the cabinet effect my line speed? Approx 10m. Obviously there would be no point in paying for a 1mb service.
    • Do I have to wait until someone discontinues their service for me to get one of the fibre sockets?
    [*]

If there is anything you could do to help or any advice you would offer, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Reps will be on tomorrow but in the interim:

There are three classes of broadband
    Real Fibre (rare): New fibre run directly into the hall of your house
    eFibre (common): Cabinet based
    ADSL: From the local exchange

If there is no gap between your estate and the town then rule out real fibre.

Use this map to find out if that cab is a proper cab or just a junction box of sorts http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ (if its not marked that cab 10m away is nothing important).

Cabs have 192 ports usable, to add more users they need to have demand to fill another 96 ports or more, this rarely is the case. If you are stuck on a full cab the thing to do is wait until you see moving vans nearby and order quick.

If you can post your distance from CRW_E01 we can tell you a minimum guestimate. 

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

ED E wrote: »
    Reps will be on tomorrow but in the interim:

There are three classes of broadband
    Real Fibre (rare): New fibre run directly into the hall of your house
    eFibre (common): Cabinet based
    ADSL: From the local exchange

If there is no gap between your estate and the town then rule out real fibre.

Use this map to find out if that cab is a proper cab or just a junction box of sorts http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ (if its not marked that cab 10m away is nothing important).

Cabs have 192 ports usable, to add more users they need to have demand to fill another 96 ports or more, this rarely is the case. If you are stuck on a full cab the thing to do is wait until you see moving vans nearby and order quick.

If you can post your distance from CRW_E01 we can tell you a minimum guestimate. 
    Thanks for your reply and all the information.

My estate is approx 400m from the town centre, so perhaps no real fibre.

I've attached a screenshot of that Fibre Map you linked and the house circled is where I live. Across the road, I've circled what is indicated on the map legend, as a cabinet. Perhaps you could advise if this is an actual cab or just junction?

Could you indicate where CRW_E01 is, and I can tell you my distance?

Thanks again,

Hopefully will hear from the rep today also.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Mister-M5 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I recently moved address to a small estate on the edge of Carlow Town. I was hoping to get fibre broadband installed. Below, I have detailed my experience and also some questions as a result:

• Was told via web chat and via phone that fibre broadband is available in the estate. Also indicated on the Fibre Map.
    • Called up and processed an order for a fibre package.
    • Took a day of annual leave from work, waited for engineer to install, no show. Called up and was told nothing was scheduled and the order was cancelled. No explanation.
    • Was told I had to submit the order again but had to wait 24 hours.
    • Called again, was told that no fibre was available because all of the fibre sockets in the cabinet were taken. Just an FYI, the cabinet is no more than 10 meters from my phone terminal.
    • Was told that I could get 20mb from the copper line. I asked for that order to be processed.
    • Agent was unable to process the order and told me he would have to check with a different department.
    • Navigated through a labyrinth of departments, and after 52 minutes, was passed back to an agent who could process the order, but was told that it would only be 8mb. I went ahead with that.
    • Out of interest, I called Vodafone, to investigate, as the same lines are used for each service, and was told that I would only get 1mb if I couldn't get fibre.
    • I will receive the equipment for installation in 3-4 working days.

[*]

Following this, I have some questions and would appreciate your advice/help. High speed internet is vital for the work I do:
    • Is it normal for a cabinet to have few fibre sockets than there are houses in an estate? Approx 25 houses in the estate, built around 2000/2001.
    • Is it possible to pay Eir/Open Eir/KN Networks to install some infrastructure/hardware/equipment to allow me to avail of fibre broadband?
    • Will the distance from my phone terminal to the cabinet effect my line speed? Approx 10m. Obviously there would be no point in paying for a 1mb service.
    • Do I have to wait until someone discontinues their service for me to get one of the fibre sockets?

[*]

If there is anything you could do to help or any advice you would offer, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    [*]
    Hi Mister-M5, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are having with your order, I understand your frustrations here.  

Unfortunately, there are times where no ports are available and an existing service would need to cease for you to get a service. 
    You would not be able to pay us any additional money to avail of this if the service is not available to you, I'm afraid. The distance can affect the service, the further you are the weaker the service would be. 

Feel free to PM me your order details and full name on the account and I'll look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've attached a screenshot of that Fibre Map you linked and the house circled is where I live. Across the road, I've circled what is indicated on the map legend, as a cabinet. Perhaps you could advise if this is an actual cab or just junction?

Thanks again,

Cheers
    You're only 600m by road from the Post Office (Exchanges are often POs due to the P&T days) and exchange. That means you'll get 20-22Mb down and 1Mb up bypassing the full cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

ED E wrote: »

Thanks again,

Cheers
    You're only 600m by road from the Post Office (Exchanges are often POs due to the P&T days) and exchange. That means you'll get 20-22Mb down and 1Mb up bypassing the full cabinet.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to come back to me, I appreciate it.

20mb would be more than enough while I wait for a fibre socket to become available.

Thanks again 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Ports get freed up and taken all the time
    People changing from one provider to another

Advertisement