Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of sharing an apt with someone working nights ...

• 25-02-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experiences of the + and - of sharing with a night owl?

I dont need to blare music during the day, I think it could be ok ...

What experiences have you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Not worth it. They'll be coming home at 3-5 AM, and will be flushing the toilet or going for a shower. They'll also probably have days off mid-week, so will be coming back in from a night out more than likely waking you up at 3 or 4 AM when you have to be up at 7 or 8AM for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Not worth it. They'll be coming home at 3-5 AM, and will be flushing the toilet or going for a shower. They'll also probably have days off mid-week, so will be coming back in from a night out more than likely waking you up at 3 or 4 AM when you have to be up at 7 or 8AM for work.
    There are different versions of shift work. The last time I did proper shift work (over 20 years ago!), the hours were 8am-4pm, 4pm-midnight, and midnight-8am, Monday to Friday. The people who still do shift work where I work do this shift cycle, or 7am-7pm/7pm-7am sometimes working weekend and being off some days during the week.

When I was working nights, I'd sleep when others were at work, and I'd usually be up a few hours before they'd be home from work so it wouldn't be an issue.

I still wouldn't be into sharing at all though, not matter what the working hours of others were. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why stop there ?

Replace the beds with bunk beds and start hot bunking. Three people take turns on each per day.

With 12 people paying for the rent it'll be dead cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's fine as long as the person makes an attempt to be quiet, and assuming there's not a bathroom right beside your bedroom or something like that.

My housemate gets home at 2.30am every night and stays up until about 4.30 watching TV or playing games, never been an issue apart from waking up the odd time when he opens the first door or accidentally closes a cupboard in the kitchen too hard.

I'm up at 6.30-7.30 most mornings and it doesn't seem to bother him though his room is quite a distance from mine and we don't share a bathroom.

Advertisement