Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a property in Swords for investment.

Options
  • 25-02-2018 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Hi

My parents are looking to buy in Swords for an investment property. They have experience being landlords, but I'm justing looking for opinions to help them decide.

They're looking in the applewood part of swords properties seem to be around the 160-170K mark, with rents being between 12-1500 mark. Worst case (Buying at 170, renting at 1200) the gross ROI is 8.4%. They seem happy at this and don't intend charging as hard as possible. IMO this looks like a decent investment. They plan to hang onto this for 20 years (roughly until when they retire) and then sell it depending on the market at the time.

What are boards.ie users opinions? Is Swords a good area to invest in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

LambDev wrote: »
    Hi

My parents are looking to buy in Swords for an investment property. They have experience being landlords, but I'm justing looking for opinions to help them decide.

They're looking in the applewood part of swords properties seem to be around the 160-170K mark, with rents being between 12-1500 mark. Worst case (Buying at 170, renting at 1200) the gross ROI is 8.4%. They seem happy at this and don't intend charging as hard as possible. IMO this looks like a decent investment. They plan to hang onto this for 20 years (roughly until when they retire) and then sell it depending on the market at the time.

Are they buying with a loan/leverage or with cash outright?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 LambDev

Browney7 wrote: »
    Hi

Are they buying with a loan/leverage or with cash outright?
    It's going to be 50/50 with 15K on top for fees/renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hi

They need proper advice taking their whole financial situation into account but I wouldn't be advising anyone to take out a leveraged investment on an illiquid undiversified asset in a frothy market (price wise). If they like property investment why not consider the REITs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP didn't last long :pac:

Advertisement