Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goats.

Options
  • 25-02-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Where in the country is good to find feral goats. Is it as simple as asking a land owner for permission to shoot them on their land?

Looking at getting into shooting and I've been told that they make for a good challenge and good eating the far side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

What calibre you thinking to get?. 223 minimum for goats if you are going after them. Shot a fair few with the 223 when i had it and it worked well but using a 243 now.

Yeah find an area with them and knock on some doors

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

aaakev wrote: »
    What calibre you thinking to get?. 223 minimum for goats if you are going after them. Shot a fair few with the 223 when i had it and it worked well but using a 243 now.

Have a .308. Plenty of punch.

Ah ok i thought you were only looking at getting into shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

aaakev wrote: »
    Ah ok i thought you were only looking at getting into shooting

Should have said hunting instead of shooting in my original post. That one is on me. Where in the country do you find them and its ok to shoot them? I've come across some in national parks alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

try around the country like most hunters you have to find these places on your own get out and do the ground work im afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

They are classed as feral.So no open or closed seasons.Clare is a good spot for them, but it can be 50/50 with farmers on shooting them.Some want them for brush and briar control, others only too happy to get rid of them.
    good eating,so long as they are up to about 12 months, they can really start getting a strong "herby" taste after that.Not to mind a very rancid ouder as the Billys get older that can permeate everything that touches off them/ie your hands, clothes,knives, 4wd cargo bay etc.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

There's supost to be a few in Wicklow but I think they're very scarce. Mayo, Galway, Clare and Waterford are your best bet for Goats.

I suppose it comes down to where you are and if your willing to travel.
    Some people say there easy to hunt and other's say the complete opposite. Happy shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

ALANC81 wrote: »
    There's supost to be a few in Wicklow but I think they're very scarce. Mayo, Galway, Clare and Waterford are your best bet for Goats.

I suppose it comes down to where you are and if your willing to travel.
    Some people say there easy to hunt and other's say the complete opposite. Happy shooting.
    Only place I've seen em in Wicklow is near loch Tay and beside river in lugalla.

Iv come across a small heard in glendalough and glenmalure. Mostly in national park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

whoever told you they are a challenge is lying.. they are almost tame..the hardest part is finding where they are and after that you can just walk up and shoot them.. they will stand at a distance of about 100 meters and think they are safe.. just look at any youtube video..the scenery and location is superb but the goats are not one bit scared and look at you.. have shot them before and will never do so again.. they arent a challenge apart from the terrain that is

• Advertisement
Advertisement