Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting to unemployed tenant

Options
  • 25-02-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Bit of an unusual one, but out of curiosity would any landlords out there be any more tempted to rent to someone temporarily out of work if they offered to pay say 3 months rent in advance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

When I lived in UK I rented my house in Bolton to unemployed people. One girl had a drug addict boyfriend who smashed most of the furniture and damaged the walls. Another girl had a great dane dog that chewed anything it could get its teeth into and messed everywhere. Another guy never cleaned anything including himself for a whole year. After all this I had to sell the house to a builder for half what I paid for it.

Now living in Ireland I have been in this cottage for eight years, unemployed and on disability myself and I am the perfect tenant, never missed a days payment and have repaired and decorated the property at my own expense.

Would I rent to someone unemployed if I was a landlord again? NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Subtle wrote: »
    Bit of an unusual one, but out of curiosity would any landlords out there be any more tempted to rent to someone temporarily out of work if they offered to pay say 3 months rent in advance?

Sure you could get that amount off someone employed.

I would be very careful who you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

No.

As a landlord, you have to play the odds and take every precaution you can.

Unemployed = an instant disqualification for me. Nothing personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Sure you could get that amount off someone employed.

I would be very careful who you pick.

Well how can you be that careful? You only meet the tenant, not their drug addicted boyfriend or their Great Dane dog.

You cannot get any work references.

With HAP payments they only have to miss one of their 26 Euro weekly payments to the council and the council cuts your payment. Could take a year to get the tenants out.

I am a good unemployed tenant, but I would not rent to someone like myself after my previous experiences.

Good luck OP, you will need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Don't rent to anyone with dogs or pets either, dog owners are some of the most disgusting people you will ever meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Well how can you be that careful? You only meet the tenant, not their drug addicted boyfriend or their Great Dane dog.

You cannot get any work references.

With HAP payments they only have to miss one of their 26 Euro weekly payments to the council and the council cuts your payment. Could take a year to get the tenants out.

I am a good unemployed tenant, but I would not rent to someone like myself after my previous experiences.

Good luck OP, you will need it.

Is this aimed at me????

Of course you can be careful and picky as a LL it's your property to do as you wish with once within the law.

If someone is unemployed then 1st that's not a good start but saying that they may well check out.

It's quite easy to interview and get a feel for the real type of person they are.

Do checks as much as you can on them.
    You can dig into social media and the likes to check one out.
    Look for previous LL reference but with this one even has to be careful as they may have given a great reference to get rid.

If someone is unemployed then wear and tear will most likely be higher and then throw kids in and pets.

The house could well be destroyed after a short period.

All a LL can do is be careful who they pick and do proper checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Doltanian wrote: »
    Don't rent to anyone with dogs or pets either, dog owners are some of the most disgusting people you will ever meet.

That's rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

That's rough.

Ruff rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ruff rough?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Enough with the sweeping generalisations.

They don't add to the discussion and they're not accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Me and the gf are considering moving out in august, we'll be in full time studies in engineering degrees and only work during the summer. What would our likely prospects be in your opinion considering that we'd technically be unemployed? We have multiple years worth of rent saved up.already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

Enough with the sweeping generalisations.

They don't add to the discussion and they're not accurate.
    Nomis21 wrote: »
    When I lived in UK I rented my house in Bolton to unemployed people. One girl had a drug addict boyfriend who smashed most of the furniture and damaged the walls. Another girl had a great dane dog that chewed anything it could get its teeth into and messed everywhere. Another guy never cleaned anything including himself for a whole year. After all this I had to sell the house to a builder for half what I paid for it.

Now living in Ireland I have been in this cottage for eight years, unemployed and on disability myself and I am the perfect tenant, never missed a days payment and have repaired and decorated the property at my own expense.

Would I rent to someone unemployed if I was a landlord again? NO.

My post was a follow up to the highlighted part and it was not posting to troll anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its a landlords market out there at the moment,

unemployed, pets, noisy kids, just don't like the look of them, don't rent to them.

You'd have no problem finding a professional, childless couple who keep to themselves in todays market. hold out for that OP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

adam240610 wrote: »
    Me and the gf are considering moving out in august, we'll be in full time studies in engineering degrees and only work during the summer. What would our likely prospects be in your opinion considering that we'd technically be unemployed? We have multiple years worth of rent saved up.already.

One way to distinguish yourself from other prospective tenants- if you intended to stay in the property long term- is to offer to pay a large number of months (possibly even the first year's rent) in advance- along with a more substantial deposit (say 3 months). I'd suggest after the initial enhanced payment- that you agree to move to a more formal arrangement- paying your rent one month in advance.

You should sit down with someone who knows their legal niceties first- and get them to draft an agreement that would safeguard your money- should you decide to terminate the tenancy early (for whatever reason)- you *need* to protect yourself- distinguishing yourself among other tenants is your initial aim- thereafter- its protecting yourself.

Well done on managing to save such a brilliant lumpsum!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

One way to distinguish yourself from other prospective tenants- if you intended to stay in the property long term- is to offer to pay a large number of months (possibly even the first year's rent) in advance- along with a more substantial deposit (say 3 months). I'd suggest after the initial enhanced payment- that you agree to move to a more formal arrangement- paying your rent one month in advance.

You should sit down with someone who knows their legal niceties first- and get them to draft an agreement that would safeguard your money- should you decide to terminate the tenancy early (for whatever reason)- you *need* to protect yourself- distinguishing yourself among other tenants is your initial aim- thereafter- its protecting yourself.

Well done on managing to save such a brilliant lumpsum!

We'll do our homework in the mean time. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Apart from landlords, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Subtle wrote: »
    Does he have proof that he can pay after the three months?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

the_syco wrote: »
    Does he have proof that he can pay after the three months?

I did just this for my current house - they were reluctant to rent a house to a me as a post-grad student, but I showed them I was a serious bloke by showing them my savings accounts, and my income/outgoings over the past few months. They were happy enough after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

"Temporarilly" is an aspiration with no gurantees whatsoever

And 3 months deposit or rent doenst make an unemployed person more attractive than an employed person who can do the same.

Honestly, i cant think of a single good reason to rent to an unemployed person for a standard tenancy. A 3 month Air b&B type letting with exclusive option to extend would be the way to go here methinks as both parties are protected and the agreement is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The house next door to me was rented to an unemployed person. Good neighbour and kept the place perfect. He moves abroad and a Polish labourer moves in. He urinated into bottles, shît in bags and threw it out the window and on cold morning you could smell it. When he moved out the house had to be extensively renovated. Sound guy to be fair but a landlords nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The house next door to me was rented to an unemployed person. Good neighbour and kept the place perfect. He moves abroad and a Polish labourer moves in. He urinated into bottles, shît in bags and threw it out the window and on cold morning you could smell it. When he moved out the house had to be extensively renovated. Sound guy to be fair but a landlords nightmare.
    I'll never understand that sort of behaviour. It's easier just to use the toilet provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

I was just minutes ago looking through daft, I hadn't looked at any of it in a long time. Shocking is the only word! One place was willing to let you keep a bike in the yard for an additional 5 euro a month.

That, plus the question in the OP is just a disgrace. I think that some people are so close to the market that they cant see the disgrace happening in our country.

You can tell me all about your free markets and your prerogatives and landlords choices etc, but this is a pure and unadulterated cash grab at the expense of those who don't own property. This country has gone to the dogs.

"Temporarilly" is an aspiration with no gurantees whatsoever

And 3 months deposit or rent doenst make an unemployed person more attractive than an employed person who can do the same.

Honestly, i cant think of a single good reason to rent to an unemployed person for a standard tenancy. A 3 month Air b&B type letting with exclusive option to extend would be the way to go here methinks as both parties are protected and the agreement is clear.

What do you propose that a temporarily unemployed person do? Move out of Dublin to where there are no jobs?

Of course it wouldn't be your problem, if you are a landlord, because you can do as you will with your own property. Or shorthand: "its not my problem".

The government have well and truly dropped the ball, allowing the market to totally rely on private, profit-making individuals.

Just consider your proposal above, from the point of view of the unemployed person.
    1) Offering MORE money than an employed person wont cut the mustard.
    2) Go and rent a holiday home for a huge amount of money instead.

The person who has less will have to pay much more. And this is a hint of why the rich are getting richer, and the poor poorer.

I did just this for my current house - they were reluctant to rent a house to a me as a post-grad student, but I showed them I was a serious bloke by showing them my savings accounts, and my income/outgoings over the past few months. They were happy enough after this.

I'm surprised you didn't have to give blood and urine samples. Have you ever been stopped going in to buy a pair of jeans in a shop, so they can check you have enough money on you?

Spinning out of control!

Mod Note

Drillyeye, there is an economics forum should you wish to debate the failure of a free market economy.

Please put away the soap box and try to stay on topic, the discussion is renting to unemployed tenants.

Have you ever rented a pair of jeans that cost 250K?

No, and I wouldn't be daft enough to buy at the price either. Regardless, this relatively new intrusion into a persons private affairs is ridiculous. It reeks of greed and /or desperation.

If I had to rent a place and some knobend started demanding to know my personal finances, to the extent of bloody bank statements, I wouldn't be too long about telling them where to go.

Thankfully I don't have to put up with this insanity, but my brother does and its bad form all round.

As I said, the blame lies with the government shedding their responsibility to a functioning country.

Mod Note

drillyeye, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

murphaph wrote: »
    I'll never understand that sort of behaviour. It's easier just to use the toilet provided.

Sometimes its probably due to poor mental health/disability/diabetes but majority is just total laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

drillyeye wrote: »
    What do you propose that a temporarily unemployed person do? Move out of Dublin to where there are no jobs?

Of course it wouldn't be your problem, if you are a landlord, because you can do as you will with your own property. Or shorthand: "its not my problem".

The government have well and truly dropped the ball, allowing the market to totally rely on private, profit-making individuals.

Just consider your proposal above, from the point of view of the unemployed person.
    1) Offering MORE money than an employed person wont cut the mustard.
    2) Go and rent a holiday home for a huge amount of money instead.

The person who has less will have to pay much more. And this is a hint of why the rich are getting richer, and the poor poorer.

Its the private market. This is literally how a private market of any type works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

drillyeye wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't have to give blood and urine samples.

I've shared houses with enough nutcases, junkies and benzo heads that I'd happily submit myself to that in order to have some peace.

Advertisement