Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know adults who have no interest in whats happening in the world?

• 25-02-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm wondering how many of them are out there, who live in their own wee bubble and just float along not knowing whats going on around them?

I ask because I have a mate, a man in his 40s with a big family, and he has zero interest in current affairs, politics, news etc. Never reads about these topics, watches news programmes or documentaries.

One big example was the time of Ryanair and their rostering problem. Its was wall to wall coverage on Irish and UK news (and I'm sure big around large parts of Europe too) and right bang in the middle of the mess he was due to fly to the UK with Ryanair in a few weeks time. When I met him I asked if he had checked if his was one of the cancelled flights?

He replied "Why, why would it be cancelled"
    Me : cos of the whole mess Ryanair is in with their pilots.
    Him : What mess, never heard anything about it
    Me: Its been on the news for the last fortnight.
    Him: Naw, never heard about it.

Now to avoid that kind of news takes serious effort.

And often when we chat and I'd say "well thats a right mess at Stormont now, what with it all collapsing and all", he'd ask "why, what happened". Totally oblivious of anything political. Zero interest (perhaps a lot of people have no interest in politics?).

Could be anything. I know if I met him now and tried to have a discussion about gun control in the US or the latest shooting, he'd not have a clue that it ever happened.

So, do we all know someone like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Me. Few things happening out there interest me. Probably because they're done to death. Take this possible weather for example. It'll be discussed longer than it'll occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lots.
    The way I look at it - we all have our own worries, why compound them with knowing others?
    Fine if it directly impacts you though.
    Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Americans..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'd prefer not to know really. It's ****ing depressing and anxiety provoking, this constant 24 hour news cycle of gloom and doom. Prefer to know nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Me. Few things happening out there interest me. Probably because they're done to death. Take this possible weather for example. It'll be discussed longer than it'll occur.

Same here. I used to buy paper on a daily basis and 2 or 3 on a Sunday. Now I don't give a toss and get my news from boards, politics, the journal and Midwest FM for the deaths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I know what's going on I just refuse to announce an opinion on most things. There are too many people voicing opinions these days, too many channels on which to do it. And too many people with a skewed world view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As someone once said "Isn't it amazing how there is always exactly the right amount of news to fill up the paper". One day in the 1930's the BBC newsreader announced that there was no news that day, and they played some music instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know a few like that alright, but I don't think it's lack of interest, there's three categories;

1) The cute hoors, let on they know nothing to find out what everyone else knows.

2) The lazy hoors, don't want to know anything in case they might have to use that information for any reason in the future

3) The stupid hoors, self-explanatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

NIMAN wrote: »

Less than 2% of flights were affected. He’s right not to be stressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Less than 2% of flights were affected. He’s right not to be stressing

Is that you Mr o Leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people I know skims through the news and they might read the articles that relate or a big news story other than that they don't really bother.
    They'd know their was a mass shooting in the US and they'd know trump made a few statements but that would be about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Lies, unfortunately that was impossible to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I like current affairs, politics and news but have found Irish media to be very one dimensional in recent years. They all scrambled to the water charges issues and now to homelessness. Like under 6's playing a field sport, they all stampede after the ball en masse.

I listen to Morning Ireland every weekday morning but switch over now if the topic turns to homelessness. The BBC news app is great for international affairs, love the in depth articles. The Irish and Sunday Times are decent enough papers too.

Most people I know skims through the news and they might read the articles that relate or a big news story other than that they don't really bother.
    They'd know their was a mass shooting in the US and they'd know trump made a few statements but that would be about it.

News organisations will be going out of business wholesale, if the people you know are anyway representative of the majority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

A great many. Most of my gay mates (the majority of my mates) are almost living in a different parallel universe and have zero interest in news or politics or anything like it. To such a degree I was worried about the marriage equality referendum passing, cos I was worried my mates were representative of the whole. Thankfully I was totally wrong and each and every one of them voted.
    Can’t really blame them for tuning out though. It would get to you the constant barrage of sh!t and endless bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Imagine if Brexit had never been a thing, even in concept. The news here and in the UK would have needed something else to prattle on about for more than 2 years, every single ****ing day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

News organisations will be going out of business wholesale, if the people you know are anyway representative of the majority.

It's not that they don't follow the news they don't hang on it's every word.
    Some of these people are in their fifties/sixties and it's how they've always followed the news. So, I wouldn't be to worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The brother.

41 years of age and hasn't a clue what's going on. As long he has a few joints and a few ciders he's happy out.
    Never reads a paper, watches emmerdale on the tele, a few car shows and nothing else and listens to cd's when he's driving so he never hears a news bulletin.
    It genuinely astonishes me how little current affairs he's aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

btw, to add, my mate knew nothing about the Marriage Referendum or anything about the Repeal the 8th either. Doesn't care one iota.

I do think there are some things worth getting interested in. Even if only to make an informed decision when it comes to voting (but I'd hazard a guess he won't bother voting either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think there's a happy medium.

I think most adults in Ireland should know a bit about things like water charges, homelessness, budgets, taxes, Brexit, Ryanair strikes etc.

But I would agree that a lot of the rolling news now has crap on it that even I know is filler. A train crashed in Liberia and killed 3 people. A man was swallowed by a sinkhole in Ohio....yeah these are "do we really need to know that" stories.

That’s the scary thing. Massive amounts of people don’t even bother to vote. On anything. That suits the established parties in this country. Depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My wife, would never watch news, never reads newspapers, shes only interested what's happening in the real world she gets this by watching ,Eastenders , Coronation street ,Fair city, Home and way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Plenty. Too many probably.

I do wonder what their world is like.

I don't normally really care about it, except when they decide one day that they know who and want to vote for and that everyone else has been 'taken in'. I don't play rugby, I don't watch rugby... I'm not about to rant publicly about my ideas on how we can win the FIFA World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm one of those. I don't watch the news so I have zero idea of what's going on. If it's ridiculously important like a major catastrophy either my family will tell me or I'll see the headline somewhere.

I only fill my free time with stuff I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Pretzill wrote: »
    I know what's going on I just refuse to announce an opinion on most things. There are too many people voicing opinions these days, too many channels on which to do it. And too many people with a skewed world view.

That sounds suspiciously like an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Her sister and brother in law , both go through life in a daze with no knowledge of current affairs either national or international .

They have sent their son into school on polling day and wondered he was back home ten minutes later as well as never voted in either elections or a referendum.

Both have been scammed more than once by con artists at their door handing over cash to chancers offering landscaping etc. resulting in a Garda relative having to have a serious conversation with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

My friend's girlfriend is like this. I've met her quite a few times and find it absolutely impossible to hold a conversation with her because she has no idea whatsoever about what's going on in the world.
    She literally has three topics of conversation:

1) Her father who died last year

2) Her dog

3) Reality TV.

She can rattle on about people from Big Brother etc and it's like they're personal friends, but mention Leo Varadkar for example and she'd probably think he was a Bollywood actor.

Before meeting this one, my friend was going out with a girl for about ten years. She was stunning looking and very intelligent. She broke up with him and it clearly destroyed him if her replacement is anything to go by.

I know one person who often is unaware of things in the news when they are mentioned at work. But I wonder how some people know so much about the media consumption of large number of others. In another discussion on Boards someone claimed to know what letters their neighbours were getting in the post.

I suppose these are close knit communities, where everyone knows each others business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That sounds suspiciously like an opinion

:) and that's exactly why I don't often voice it -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I dislike the type of person that tries to make everything topical and
    /or political.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Have largely tuned out from most of whats going on. A combination of lack of interest and same old bad news. I can be pretty sure that at any given time:

A minister has done something wrong
    A footballer has done something wrong
    A bank has done something wrong
    A plane/train/car has crashed
    The weather somewhere is tragic

I just dont have the thirst to fill in the blanks for todays list when therell be another batch along tomorrow (that I will also let float right over my untroubled head)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

And often when we chat and I'd say "well thats a right mess at Stormont now, what with it all collapsing and all", he'd ask "why, what happened".

Tommy Gorman appears, "The stalemate in Stormont continues as negotiations enter their 57th hour" - frantically search for remote, urge to kill rising...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Before meeting this one, my friend was going out with a girl for about ten years. She was stunning looking and very intelligent. She broke up with him and it clearly destroyed him if her replacement is anything to go by.

This made me laugh.

I'm not one of those people who try to discuss current affairs in hairdresser's but I find it very hard to relate to people who know nothing about the world around them. I know a few but I wouldn't overly converse with them unless I have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Well here's the thing, I have an interest in the news.  But, I remember attending a training course years ago and the presenter made a very good point about the media.  Don't worry too much about things you have no control over and the vast majority of the news falls into that category. 
    I have a close friend who is massively into politics and current affairs, every day we have a coffee break together and he works himself into a fit about some political story which he will have zero influence on.  It's a waste of time and energy devoting, I'd rather spend my energy on areas which are in my immediate circles of influence.

Well here's the thing, I have an interest in the news.  But, I remember attending a training course years ago and the presenter made a very good point about the media.  Don't worry too much about things you have no control over and the vast majority of the news falls into that category. 
    I have a close friend who is massively into politics and current affairs, every day we have a coffee break together and he works himself into a fit about some political story which he will have zero influence on.  It's a waste of time and energy devoting, I'd rather spend my energy on areas which are in my immediate circles of influence.

Lotta good sense in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

but mention Leo Varadkar for example and she'd probably think he was a Bollywood actor.

tbh who in there right mind talks about Leo Varadkar in a social situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

limnam wrote: »

Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Plenty of people but I don't try to change them if they are not interested. We are isolated in Ireland and if we are not affected by what happens most people don't care. I care more because geopolitical events can change the world at any time. Who cared about what happens with the banks pre 2008 after that every Irish person you met had an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm wondering how many of them are out there, who live in their own wee bubble and just float along not knowing whats going on around them?

I ask because I have a mate, a man in his 40s with a big family, and he has zero interest in current affairs, politics, news etc. Never reads about these topics, watches news programmes or documentaries.

One big example was the time of Ryanair and their rostering problem. Its was wall to wall coverage on Irish and UK news (and I'm sure big around large parts of Europe too) and right bang in the middle of the mess he was due to fly to the UK with Ryanair in a few weeks time. When I met him I asked if he had checked if his was one of the cancelled flights?

And often when we chat and I'd say "well thats a right mess at Stormont now, what with it all collapsing and all", he'd ask "why, what happened". Totally oblivious of anything political. Zero interest (perhaps a lot of people have no interest in politics?).

Could be anything. I know if I met him now and tried to have a discussion about gun control in the US or the latest shooting, he'd not have a clue that it ever happened.

So, do we all know someone like this?

You sir need to get a life and stop worrying about what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

mfceiling wrote: »
    The brother.

41 years of age and hasn't a clue what's going on. As long he has a few joints and a few ciders he's happy out.
    Never reads a paper, watches emmerdale on the tele, a few car shows and nothing else and listens to cd's when he's driving so he never hears a news bulletin.
    It genuinely astonishes me how little current affairs he's aware of.
    fair play to him seems like a happy man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

limnam wrote: »

In all fairness what grown adult (lady in question is 40) doesn't know who Leo Varadkar is?

In all fairness what grown adult (lady in question is 40) doesn't know who Leo Varadkar is?

Do you think it would change her life in anyway if she did?

Apart from been able to have fascinating conversations with yourself.

meeeeh wrote: »
    This made me laugh.

I'm not one of those people who try to discuss current affairs in hairdresser's but I find it very hard to relate to people who know nothing about the world around them. I know a few but I wouldn't overly converse with them unless I have to.

How would you know what they know.

If they're not interested in what you're interested in you decide not to converse with them

That's as ignorant as someone not interested in bloody Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I wish I never heard of him, can't explain the reasons here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I know a few like that alright, but I don't think it's lack of interest, there's three categories;

1) The cute hoors, let on they know nothing to find out what everyone else knows.

2) The lazy hoors, don't want to know anything in case they might have to use that information for any reason in the future

3) The stupid hoors, self-explanatory.
    What category are you in so?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm married to somebody like this

The only way she'd hear of the world ending is if I told her or if she saw someone on Facebook posting about it

Calls me an aul grandad because I am interested too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I have no interest in news, politics, TV advertising or other negative influences around me. If I'm in a car I'll rush to switch off the radio at the hour just in case I have to listen a second of somebody giving me sad information I don't need to hear.

Everyday I walk into the office and get asked, did you hear about that murder, tragedy or celebrity dying etc? My answer is always No.

Another thing that makes me laugh are people who discuss politics at work. Debating what happened/happens in the government as if their views and opinions will change something!

I focus on myself, family and friends around me and don't worry about things that don't affect me, it just gets you down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement